delicate male egos?

bDubyaH

So having a conversation with the girlfriend, I mention that I have never seen a female climber who climbs 5.12 or harder in a relationship with a guy who doesn't climb at least as hard. This it turns out was not a good thing to say and opened up a big can of worms, as I was apparently making a comment on all women athletes, and the real reason I was making such a comment was due to my "delicate male ego". I, of course, defended myself (and all males) by stating that this had absolutely nothing to do with my delicate male ego. I was just pointing out a fact, that I personally have observed over the last 10 years. A bit of background, my girlfriend is a total rookie climber who has no experience outside of the local gym, while I have observed this hard women hanging out with hard man climbing relationship thing at the new, the red, the gunks, smith, etc. I have a hunch that the real problem here is that her delicate female ego doesn't like that I can kick her ass in climbing, even though she has me when it comes to cycling...she just doesn't like to lose. I would love to hear words of support in my quest to win this argument with said girlfriend and if you have a dissenting opinion I respectfully ask that you keep it to yourself, as it won't help my cause.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a dumb thing to argue about rolleyes.gif . If you've

never seen an exception to the relationship dynamic you

describe - well then you stated the truth. i.e. you're

right. Looking for backup on the Internet = maybe she's

right about the fragile ego bidness. maybe you get her

riled up enough she'll start cranking and you guys can be

the counter-example to your own premise (substituting 5.12

with whatever number is appropriate to you of course).

bDubyaH said:

So having a conversation with the girlfriend, I mention that I have never seen a female climber who climbs 5.12 or harder in a relationship with a guy who doesn't climb at least as hard. This it turns out was not a good thing to say and opened up a big can of worms, as I was apparently making a comment on all women athletes, and the real reason I was making such a comment was due to my "delicate male ego". I, of course, defended myself (and all males) by stating that this had absolutely nothing to do with my delicate male ego. I was just pointing out a fact, that I personally have observed over the last 10 years. A bit of background, my girlfriend is a total rookie climber who has no experience outside of the local gym, while I have observed this hard women hanging out with hard man climbing relationship thing at the new, the red, the gunks, smith, etc. I have a hunch that the real problem here is that her delicate female ego doesn't like that I can kick her ass in climbing, even though she has me when it comes to cycling...she just doesn't like to lose. I would love to hear words of support in my quest to win this argument with said girlfriend and if you have a dissenting opinion I respectfully ask that you keep it to yourself, as it won't help my cause.

Competition between you and S.O. is a bad dynamic. So what who climbs harder. It doesn't matter. If you both really cared about eachother you'd be on the same team and not trying to out do eachother. You're treading towards dangerous ground.

Both men and women have delicate egos, particularly when something challenges our view of ourself. If she took your comment as a challenge to her ability as a climber or partner for you, perhaps you should discuss that and not try to simply put her in her place by winning the argument. But then if she's just some Betty on your arm to you...

glacierdog said:

Let's all just hug each other. hahaha.gif

while a group a hug isn't a bad idea....

i've gotta say that ehmmic is right. Not good for the relationship if you two are hyper-competitive w/each other. Take it out on the rock not on each other.

That said...there are patterns like you stated in many sports. Lets face it boys and girls, men and women are different in a lot of ways including which avocations we choose to pursue. Obviously this is not a 100% thing but some activities tend to attract more men. Climbing seems to be one of them. Therefore it's unavoidable in a given number of relationships in which both partners climb, more often than not, the male will be the better climber...but not always grin.gif

Sometimes new climbers are sensitive to ability issues as a compensatory measure for their inexperience. Perhaps your lady is in this boat, and will chill out about this stuff as her own abilities improve.

"keep your dissenting opinions to yourself" - on the spray forum - hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

Wow, never realised I could get climbing beta AND relationship therapy/advice at the same website! Ummm this was more of a humorus debate with my girlfriend and I told her I would write it up on this website and ask what others have seen in regards to hard women 99% of the time hanging out with hard men. Oh yeah, men are not necessarily better than women in the mountains because they can pee easily. One of my climbing partners has a freshette, she has no trouble filling up the pee bottle during a storm...and she is always threatening to assault me while I sleep smileysex5.gifblush.gif

daisy said:

I would like to get together with a hard man, ooops I mean hardman wink.gifblush.gif

This Miloshk Avatarpov sounds like the man for me. Too bad he's married madgo_ron.gif Why are all the good ones taken madgo_ron.gif

Hey daisy, I think I have warned you enough. If you DON"T STOP HITTING ON THE MARRIED MEN ON THIS SITE you and I will come to have it out once and for all.... madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifwink.gif

you little ho you wink.gif

I am in traing to be greatest of russian hardman. I am looking for hottest american climbing girl to train me to be hard man. if you look careful you will see space in second hard man, as my humor is trained not as much as my hardman climbing. please PM me for satisfaction of hardman technique on both the ice, the rock and the silk, if you know what I am meaning.

-----------------------------------------------

I AM RUSSIAN TRAINING EVERY DAY TO BE HARD MAN FOR YOU DAISY