Spring ski-in???

snoboy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

further south, you could also crash the Sunhogs annual Memorial Day party at North Sister in Oregon. For 20 years, groups have camped at treeline below the villard glacier. the requirements are simple: 1/2 case of beer minimum & lawnchair. the numbers have been dwindling apparently, so perhaps this could revive the cause.

gapertimmy said:

David_Parker said:

I'd say the cabin on 10 acres in Mazama I have access to. As soon as the No. Cascade Hwy opens which should be very early this year. It's only 16 miles to the pass. Obviously not everyone can sleep in the cabin, but it's a great base camp with plenty of room for tents.

rockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gif

mattp said:

gapertimmy said:

David_Parker said:

I'd say the cabin on 10 acres in Mazama I have access to. As soon as the No. Cascade Hwy opens which should be very early this year. It's only 16 miles to the pass. Obviously not everyone can sleep in the cabin, but it's a great base camp with plenty of room for tents.

rockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

jon said:

mattp said:

gapertimmy said:

David_Parker said:

rockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

AlpineK said:

jon said:

mattp said:

gapertimmy said:

David_Parker said:

rockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

is this like paint by the numbers? rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

David_Parker said:

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

I hope you will have a little bit of space for a BC snow bunny novice or two!

Well, I still don't have any AT gear, but my BC snow skills are slowly coming along, and my lungs are a little healthier now. If I can't get it together to ski by the time the Snowpup happens I'm pretty happy to hop around on my snowshoes with other bunnies or do my own thing. fruit.gif

Can we bring dogs? Just got back from 10th Mtn Div hut trip. The snow in Colorado is so incredibly beautiful. And dry. fruit.gifWow. They told me, but I had to experience it to believe it. Wow. I have zero desire to ski in the Northwest right now. Too freakin' wet. Is it drier east of the mtns? I need to go to Colorado again.

Did I forget to mention a coupla feet of freshiez, and I didn't get mired down in it because it wasn't CONCRETE?! And 6 more inches the night before we left?!

Although:

Price of hut trip in guise of business trip: not much, and all expensed to company;

Price of skiing at 11,000+ elevation for 3 days: not being able to sleep OR breathe well;

Coming home to sea-level, oxygen-rich home in the Northwest: priceless.

Edited by jules

My vote would go for a ski-in site. Corn camp is an art form.

rockband.gif

What works really well is a basin that drains to the North. That way you can ski the East facing walls early in the day and work your way around to the S. and W. aspects as they corn up. Around noon or so, when it all goes to slush, you go to work on the keg and party or power nap or whatever until the East facing walls start catching shade and setting up again. Then it’s time for the evening cocktail runs until the hills turn to ice and it's pardee time back at camp. Sleep, wash, rinse and repeat cycle.

bigdrink.gif Ski times is good times.