Poll: Supporting CC.com

olyclimber

Poll: Supporting CC.com  

24 members have voted

1. 1. We need to find a way to pay for the cost of this board. Current Jon and I are paying for it out of pocket, there are no ads. How would you like to see it run?

• Community donations via donation button, with fund spent on board costs transparently.
    • Ads on the site (local where possible, with Google, etc till we get enough locally)
    • Some hybrid of the above.

As the question states. We've been running without ads for sometime and Jon has been paying for this (I just started helping with that).

So want to know if you guys care if we seek donations, add the ads back, or do a hybrid.

The cost are:

1. Cost for hosting the server/db.  I think its around $65 a month. 

2. Cost for the forum software (yearly).  Place holder $100 ...gotta check with Jon what licenses we have.  Could be more or less, idk.

That should be it, unless I'm forgetting things.  

Either way is fine w me. I'd be glad to donate.

More important to me is getting Jon to hand over the nuclear codes so you can fix some longstanding issues. Until that happens, I won't be investing time in writing more TRs as I can't share them across platforms. Fix these issues, share access to the admin privileges across the team, and create a more sustainable long-term plan that allows more people to keep the site going and perhaps even improve it and I'll put in $500. 

There is a place for cc.com in this world. It is a great place for route conditions.It is a great place for adventure tales and FAs. Social media platforms and MP aren't so good for that.

• Like 1

Can you PM me (and others feel free to do so) what you see the primary issues are?  I have my own list. FYI I have gotten some access, but I’ve been pretty busy so I haven’t had time to dig in. Also Jon is not out of the picture and will hopefully pitching in too. 

I want to create a list, prioritize it, and get cracking this winter.

For over six months now I have been trying to update the email associated with my original account (not this account). Says a verification email has been sent. It never was. Tried multiple times. Reverting back to my old email address was fruitless.

Tried to use the contact link (https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/contact/) to alert of the problem. No reply.

Another person could not remember their password. They could not reset it because no email was sent to reset it.

I asked another person who had access to CC send a message with the issue and my contact details, no reply.

Because I could not log in I pretty much lost interest in visiting the site.

Just happened to stop by tonight and saw this thread so I used my google account to create new account (surprised it worked). 

Oh how to maintain the site, in the past the ads have been reasonable. I donate to another site $35 a year. Somewhere in between would work for me.

Edited by SeaLevel

Thanks @SeaLevel  (cool name btw, also name of a coffee shop in Cannon Beach I like to go to if the lines aren't too long there.

I can help with logon issues. Let me know if you or someone else needs something. I'm not sure if there is currently an issue, but I'm the guy for people to contact. I'll create an account for emailing me about those issue since obv you can't PM here if you can't logon.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted hybrid, mostly just for pragmatic reasons. Like- whatever works, right? Other sites I frequent are ad-free for dues paying members and not so for the rabble. I'm old, and lost my taste for risk after one too many near misses, so may never contribute a lot, but still like coming here for the vicarious adventure. And Jason's TRs!

There is so much great content, history, and funny shizz here that it would be a shame for it to disappear.

If some of the technical concerns were corrected, would this site become more lively? That's the key to keeping it thriving, obviously. What (if anything) functions like the old CC.com as a local online climbing community? It sure seems there should be enough demand for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Welp I'm officially paying for the running of this site now, so I'm motivated to share the costs with you all :).  

I definitely want to keep this site going, but if I'm the only willing to step up monetarily then I could archive it and just have it on my own computer!   BUT!!!!  That is not the message I'm getting.   So here is what I think:

1. Initially we will be donations only.  It would take a while to setup the ads and for them to make any money anyway.   That will be a thing "on the list".  Ads will *not* be annoying. If they become that, we go back to donations only.

2. Will this site become more "lively"?  I couldn't answer that. It could, or maybe it won't. That depends on "us".  But even if its a shadow of its former self, keeping this thing going is still something worth it as long as we still have a community.  There are still some strong, creative, accomplished, and even funny climbers using this site and sharing.   Yeah we are all getting older, but I see the next gen lining up. I'd like to keep it going for them, a place with a few warts, but lots of character that isn't some mega corp trying to sell their info to the highest bidder.

3. What needs fixing, and what is first?  I have a running list, but a top priority to upgrading the version of the board, which is harder than you think.  I am *not* a coder. I can support software,  I can configure software and scripts,  I can do ia lot. And I could eventually get something done in code if I had to, but it would take way too long and the product probably would not be great.  I leave coding for people who do it for a living and are good at it.     Upgrading the board software is not a big deal for me (will take a plan and some testing) but the "app" that Jon and I had created for the board that runs within the software may need to be updated.  So there are two costs:  1. paying for the newer software license.   2.  Paying a developer to upgrade that "app", if necessary.  Neither should be crazy expensive, but they are costs I need help with.

4.  Security issues:  the main problem with security was the wordpress install.  We nuked that.  I've cleaned up a bunch of crap already.  However, I have to do some scans to make sure I got it all.  Then we can get back in Meta's good graces so yall can' link to Facebook/Insta if that is your thing.

5. Help.  I'll probably need it.  However, there is a huge thing called trust.  And you might be the most honest and trust worthy person in the world.  But maybe we can start out somewhere and build on it, idk.   Lets talk.  I would definitely want sit down in person first though.

6. Other costs:  1. annual software license.  2. monthly hosting costs (this is the big one...its like $60 a month).

So yeah, I'm gonna ask for money!  And I will be transparent where it goes, the costs are pretty clear.   Perhaps a supporters forum will be used to do that.  When you pay you get access as the accounting is detailed...just an idea.

/p.

• Rawk on! 2

Well my day job obliterated my free time, but things are finally looking better there.   
I just renewed the forum software for another 6 months out of my own pocket, that cost is $60.  It *should* help cut down on the spam we get I think, since there is a "spam defense" element that is included on the license. So that is another known cost....$60 dollars every 6 months, or $120 a year (for now, assuming they don't raise that in the future).

Regarding how to donate, I'm just considering how to do that as I'd like the keep the cascadeclimbers.com piggy bank separate....maybe a paypal account or something.  I have to see about how you set one of those up for an entity like this.  Anyone done that before?

Also! I'm talking to a sponsor! Nothing nailed down but I will just say that there are some awesome local companies out there that recognize the value of this place.  

thanks.

• Like 2
  • Rawk on! 1

I hope to have the cost of modernizing the underlying custom code for the Trip Report function nailed down today or so.   That is paramount...we need to get to the latest version of the board, and that piece has to be updated first.

**UPDATE**....it cost us $110 to get that part done!  Should be done tomorrow.   Then we need to set up a test and test everything and then we can upgrade!  Big moves here...

• Like 1
  • Rawk on! 1

I have set up a PayPal account for Cascadeclimbers.  You can use this to donate to the site.   Please use the below QR code (just use the camera on your phone and it will let you use Paypal).  I will set up another option if you want to do it just from your computer, but the fees are more for that way for some dumb reason....so with this way the most money goes to this site.  

If this does not work for you then use the "DONATE" button on the right hand side of the forums main listing.  Using the QR code is better though as Paypal takes less.

qrcode.png.58d4e2c57d60f9be18315fe8b993f490.png

• Like 1

For the running total this is our reoccurring price, broken down per month right now (subject to change):

~$60 a month for hosting fee.

$120/12 for forum software = 10

TOTAL: ~$75 a month.

One time fee (so far):

$110 to pay dev to redo TR for new forum software

NOTE: also need to account that Paypal is taking a cut of transactions, so any donation has a little taken out of it.

That is all for now.  Subject to change. I want to make this place better. 

So donate what you can!  I will also make an option for a occurring donation, etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, olyclimber said:

I have set up a PayPal account for Cascadeclimbers.  You can use this to donate to the site.   Please use the below QR code (just use the camera on your phone and it will let you use Paypal).  I will set up another option if you want to do it just from your computer, but the fees are more for that way for some dumb reason....so with this way the most money goes to this site.  

If this does not work for you then use the "DONATE" button on the right hand side of the forums main listing.  Using the QR code is better though as Paypal takes less.

qrcode.png.58d4e2c57d60f9be18315fe8b993f490.png

I'm on my phone (Android). When I use Google Lens on this code, it prompts me to install the PayPal app. Weird.

Not sure if this is true for all mobile users, but the DONATE button is at the very bottom of the general forum list page and at the bottom of each individual forum.

Long live CC and all the beta contained herein! Thank you Oly!