chucK

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blech!

<snip>

Today though I will heartily attempt to go out to The Rock. I will work on JayB's "Over the Rainbow" problem. WTF is up with that JayB, what's the beta getting from the 3rd to 4th hold? I can't figure that shit out.

<snip>

meekly yours

Chuck Geek_em8.gif

Blech indeed. Ker-pflooey even. That rainbow thing is hard isn't it! The only way I have seen it done is with a match on the 3rd and what looked like a running jump into a dyno to the 4th grin.gifpitty.gif

Actually, a big part of it is to find the right little nubbins and pockets for the feet, while hanging on to the 3rd for dear life. Your mileage will vary with your wingspan, of course.

Strong fingers to you chucK bigdrink.gif You can do it, you know you can! Just mime the sequence for awhile, think of Dwayner, and it will go for sure.

TG- Wanna share some beta on where you were? I pass through that area a few times a year and it makes a perfect rest spot to break up the drive.

About 4 miles east of the Dalles is a minor truck pullout with a green gate. So it's safe to park as long as you want. Hike 1/3 of a mile farther and head up the hill. There are several spires and plenty stuff to climb around on. I bet you could even find routes more than one pitch. I found a couple of weatherd slings on the top of a couple spires, so I'm sure that people climb there occasionally. The walls are mostly north facing so there is a bit of moss around but there is a lot of rock.

The coolest thing is that there are fine grained dunes at the top and down one chute there is a long, angle of repose sand flow, which allows some really high, safe landing bouldering. The east facing wall next to the sand flow has plenty of nice cracks. Friday, the sand was a bit wet and simi frozen so I couldn't stretch it out as far as I would have liked, but I'll be back when the thumb recovers.

There is one very large, very vertical, free standing spire that looks like the true plum of the area. It is almost a half size version of the Totem Pole. It looked like a free ascent would be at a pretty high standard.

Cheers - TG

on battered sanmich: I've climbed it three times and have liebacked/jam a little on the bottom then after the ratty sling go into jam for 10 feet and then chimney the thing. One of my favorite pitches at Index. I was wondering if any of you guys had done rattletale? I lead it three years ago and the guy who followed liebacked THE whole lower section. And then claimed he would do the same on lead! Just wonderin' what you thought.

Today though I will heartily attempt to go out to The Rock. I will work on JayB's "Over the Rainbow" problem. WTF is up with that JayB, what's the beta getting from the 3rd to 4th hold? I can't figure that shit out.

After my momentary triumph I've been shut down while trying to move from the fourth to the fifth hold. Argh! Anyway, grab onto the top of the third hold with your right hand, then cross your left hand underneath your right arm to gain the fourth hold. It's easier if you keep your weight low and your chest facing the wall. I matched on the fourth hold, gained a nubbin right of the crack with my right foot, then lunged for the last hold when I got it.

I'm heading over there tonight at about 6:30 or so to get a bit o' bouldering in before the rain rolls in tomorrow....

Make that 5:30 - introduce yourself if you're heading over there. I'll the one flailing in a blue shirt...

Edited by JayB

What's the Over the Rainbow problem? JayB showed me a four-move problem one time that had me stumped for a while at the third move. Maybe he's sandbaggin' both of us the same way. cantfocus.gif

Maybe I'll borrow my room-mate's digital camera and take photos of a couple of walls, highlight problems, and post them here so all can share in the fun. There's a bunch of problems out there that have been absolutely kicking my ass out there that I'd love to get some beta on...

Agreed about liebacking with you erik, 100%. Scary, hard to place pro, blah blah. But I do use it on ocassion. first 10 feet of toxic shock? B-line in cochise( which I know chucK has climbed) I don't like it, but I do use it sometimes. I DO pity the fool that liebacks the infamous section of godzilla, like I did ther first time 10 years ago!

technique of no technique is used when unable to jam or when wanting to move quickly thru a section where one does not need to place pro eg. when climbing offwidths on TR or other foolishness. rolleyes.gif

026.jpg and if you do a Google Image search for Lieback crack look what you find...scott'teryx!!!! rolleyes.giffruit.gif

I agree that it is difficult to place pro in the crack when using lieback technique, but it is a bit of an overstatement to suggest that one should never do it when on lead. I certainly use lieback technique more when I am following than when leading but, as Dru said, it can be easier and quicker than jamming.

On the lower part I finally got up the one section by putting a cam in as high as I could reach then liebacking upto where I could get back into it just below the top part. It just felt so insecure I didn't like it. At the top part I climbed a lot of that like a chimney. Still too big for my hands but I did get a could arm bars in. I guess I'll just keep thrashing about in offwidths until I get a little stronger and figure it out. Thanks.

On Rattletale, I followed it laybacking the whole way. I would not want to lead it that way.

You guys already gave it away, and it looks like my kind of crack climbing. I love to grovel and use my whole body in a crack. So where's the trail up there?

Here's the trail "map". Battered Sandwhich is at Private Idaho. Doesn't look like the Private Idaho topo is on that website. If you go to the far right of the crag, there is a nice dihedral/RFC with a bolted arete on it's right. Those are Senior Citizens in Space (5.7) and Spineless (5.10d++), respectively. The next weakness over to the left has Battered Sandwhich (5.9) on the right and Istanbul (5.9) on the left, both of which you may like given your mentioned preference for wide-crack grovelling. Further over left is a little gem called Magic Fern (5.9), recognizable by the splitter flared OW crack at midheight.

You can walk off from the top by heading up through the forest about 20 feet to where you'll come to a trail. Follow the trail right just a little ways to where it winds it's way down in a slot behind a big slabby rock. bigdrink.gif

CHUCK AND SLOTH

THERE ARE NEW CHAINS ON TOP OF SCIS AND BS

THERE IS ALSO WEBBING NOW ONTOP OF MAGIC FERN/ISTANBUL, THOUGH I DONT THINK THERE ARE RINGS.

WALK DOWN THE TRAIN TRACKS HEADING EAT FROM PARKING LOT AND CROSS THE WOOD FOOT BRIDGE. WALK UP HILL GOING RIGHT ANYTIME THERE IS A TRAIL. THIS OCCURS TWICE.

bigdrink.gif