Redemption on the Reid HW

MtnHigh

Ivan and I thought that climbing Leutholds in the dark on Thursday night was a great idea. The slope we climbed seemed too steep for Leutholds, but we continued anyway. I topped out on a narrow ridge at 10,400ft. The opposite side of the ridge fell away steeply into an unknown abyss. Short towers guarded the ridgeline on both sides. It is 1am, only the light of the stars to guide our way and we have no idea where we are. What a mess. Ivan donated a glove and an ATC to the mountain god during the 10+ lowers on the descent down rock hard neve to the Reid Gl.. Back at Timberline we were scratching our heads, where the hell did we end up???

Early Sunday morning, Ivan, Shredmaximus and I headed back to Hood;s west side to take a crack at the Reid HW. I was seeking redemption for the screw up the other night. Shortly after cutting up from the Reid Gl. we happened upon the glove Ivan dropped two days before. Hood was returning one of our sacrifices from Thursday night.

Checking Oregon High just before entering the first gulley. We did not want to get off course again.

Page06.jpg

Ivan on the airy traverse at 9600ft. I-Rock in the background.

Page13.jpg

Solid neve at 9800ft.

Page17.jpg

An incredible section of ice at 10,700ft

Page23.jpg

Page27.jpg

Ivan practicing for future magazine photo ops.

Page28.jpg

The west summit rim. Running like a horse for the barn.

Page29.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how many people have been missing the turn for Leuthold's these days and wind up in the gulleys on Reid. I always aim for that big chunk of rock that sits right in front of Yocum. Reid HW is only about a billion times better than Leuthold anyway. Nice photos.

much props to the photo-meister, shredmaximus...if it was up to my lazy ass all i'd ever have to show for my climbs would be memories...i am definetly happy to have turned too early for luets, as both experiences on the reid wall were great fun. nice write-up, pete.