Triple Couloirs

Jarred_Jackman

Well, the route is most definitely IN! Tim Holscher (Crackman) and I did it in about 6 hours this last saturday. Nobody else trying the route that weekend although I can't imagine the conditions get any better. We soloed all but 15 feet. If you go in I would leave the snowshoes at home and skis will only frustrate you I would think. The approach took about 7 hours with breaks. We were able to drive about 1.5 miles up the road past the gate that WAS OPEN. If you feel comfortable steep (70-90) terrain that takes pick amazingly well and feels perfect then you won't need screws or any rock pro. We used two pickets for our little sketchy section. Tim will most likely post his digital pics soon, I hope!

Things don't get any better than they are right now, take time off and hit the trail, this route is awesome right now. Maybe not challenging enough for those looking for 2000' of consolidated ice, but we sure loved it!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go in I would leave the snowshoes at home and skis will only frustrate you I would think.

This may be a silly question given that I've never been in the area before, but what are snow conditions like on the approach up to Colchuck Lake? I want to do some ski touring this weekend and I'm wondering if the Enchantments might be a good area to visit.

Thanks,

Josh

The approaches in and out Mountaineer Creek to Colchuck Lake, or in and out Snow Creek to Lake Viviane, are both about 6 or 8 miles and involve a lot of elevation gain (like 4,000 feet or so). The scenic heart of a standard Enchantment trip lies between these two lakes. Current reports suggest that the snow conditions on either approach will be poor, but you may find some good snow left up higher.

It's also worth pointing out that if you are looking for a tour that can be an easy ski up and a fun (read: somewhat steep and open) ski down, then colchuck lake would not be my recommendation. The trail is rather windy and while not difficult for a good skier can be a pain if you aren't used to skiing a trail. That said, during *GOOD* (read: probably not this weekend) conditions the ski down from the lake proper to the 2nd crossing of mountaineer creek through the trees can be quite good if you know the way. After that it's all trail though.

Here's some pics from our trip

Jarred at the first footbridge

55337024205_0_ALB.jpg

My first ever glimps of dragontail

70146024205_0_ALB.jpg

Jarred on the on the step below the hidden (1st) coulior

85337024205_0_ALB.jpg

In the hidden couloir

36337024205_0_ALB.jpg

18639024205_0_ALB.jpg

Pre-sliced and packaged Horsecock

76337024205_0_ALB.jpg

The ice runnels between 1&2

27337024205_0_ALB.jpg

47337024205_0_ALB.jpg

67337024205_0_ALB.jpg

The 2nd couloir

43288024205_0_ALB.jpg

18337024205_0_ALB.jpg

Summit with Stuart in background

38337024205_0_ALB.jpg

58337024205_0_ALB.jpg

Back at the lake

39337024205_0_ALB.jpg

83288024205_0_ALB.jpg

Lammy,

Download this attachmen (i.e. click on the attachment then do a "save as", use a .htm suffix when you save it) then open it with your browser. You oughta see the pics then.

You might need to make sure your browser knows it's an HTML file. I needed to change to suffix to .txt so the attachment would work. So you might want to save it under a name like TC.htm (something with a .htm suffix).

137909-TC.txt

Edited by chucK

OK wait, here's an even EASIER way than downloading my attachment. Just do this (this is the IE way, I'm sure netscape is similar)

1. Click on file then save as

2. Save it as single HTML file (not "web page complete)

3. look in your new documents and click on it.

So why does this work, you webpage dudes? Is there some sort of filter on the server that holds these pictures that won't allow "remote linking" or something like that is done by CC.com? confused.gif

That's probably not it Mattp 'cause I just copied the HTML code straight from what CC.com is sending out, and it works fine once the code is on my machine, but does not work when I'm looking at it on CC.com. Once the pictures are cached though it seems to work fine.