Thanks for the Dictator

Fairweather

Not on a scale like this. Here's what the Constitution says:

Article I - The Legislative Branch

Section 8

Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Clause 2:

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

Clause 3:

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Clause 4:

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

Clause 5:

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

Clause 6:

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

Clause 7:

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

Clause 8:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

Clause 9:

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

Clause 10:

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

Clause 11:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Clause 12:

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

Clause 13:

To provide and maintain a Navy;

Clause 14:

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

Clause 15:

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

Clause 16:

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Clause 17:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

Clause 18:

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Here's a movie scene you may be able to relate to more effectively:

Anakin Skywalker: I don’t think the system works.

Padmé: How would you have it work?

Anakin Skywalker: We need a system where the politicians sit down

and discuss the problem… agree what’s in the best interest of all people… and then do it.

Padmé: That’s exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don’t always agree.

Anakin Skywalker: Well, then they should be made to.

Padmé: By whom? Who’s going to make them?

Anakin Skywalker: I don’t know. Someone.

Padmé: You?

Anakin Skywalker: Of course not me.

Padmé: But someone.

Anakin Skywalker: Someone wise.

Padmé: Sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me.

Anakin Skywalker: Well, if it works.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clause 8:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts

Hmm, defunding universities, defunding science, defunding arts…. sound familiar?

You live in Washington State, no? Run by Democrats for, what, going on 35 years? Exactly who has been defunding education??

Still, what do you think about the President's powers re immigration and line-item power on ACA?

Clause 8:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts

Hmm, defunding universities, defunding science, defunding arts…. sound familiar?

You live in Washington State, no? Run by Democrats for, what, going on 35 years? Exactly who has been defunding education??

Still, what do you think about the President's powers re immigration and line-item power on ACA?

If you actually went to school, there is a two tear system of federal and state/county level of funding. Most of the cuts were implemented on federal level.

I understand this forum is about a lot of things including hyperbole at times but why does everything have to get so personal, and shrill?

d

I think this happens for two reasons, or at least these are two of the reasons it happens:

1} we post anonymously here. There is a widely recognized Internet phenomenon where people who post anonymously tend to become more shrill than those who post under their real names.

2) many of us have been interacting with the same sparring partners for years. Even if you try not to let it get to you it stimulates and emotional response the 56th time you reply to the same or similar argument from that son of a bitch.

With Obama having issued fewer executive orders than just about anybody, with the Obama Care act having actually been a Republican proposal, and with the big foreign policy criticism in the withdrawal from Iraq having been a BUSH decision, I think it is hard to support the notion that Obama has acted like a dictator -- but I post this as "mattp" and I post it in reply to Fairweather, who has been politically active and arguing with me on cc.com for ten years. We get shrill.

No need for shrillness this time, Matt. I'll just say that the oft-repeated "number of executive orders" argument is not relevant. It is the content of the order(s) that is important. For example, you'd agree with me that FDR's Order 9066 was far more consequential--not to mention unconstitutional and immoral--than an order issued under the Antiquities Act? So it is with Obama's exercising an order of "prosecutorial discretion" re immigration. It's beyond his power to do--unless, of course, he is allowed to do it. I suspect your tune will change when the next Republican president uses it. Rest assured, mine won't.

As for this "ObamaCare was a Republican idea," well, I assume you are referring to Romney's Massachusetts program? Not at all the same. If you are referring to something else, I'd love to hear it. In any event, I recall that in the past you've expressed serious misgivings about Obama's handing out of "executive exemptions" to unions, corporations, Federal agencies, etc. Have you changed your mind?

Finally, I have absolutely no idea where you came up with the Iraq withdrawl thing. Obama's announced and full withdrawl is exactly what Bush warned against. In the end, I doubt it made much of a difference as the chaos we see there was ordained the day we toppled Saddam.

I know you've pushed the true names thing for years, and I can see your point--to a point. You know my name, and I know yours. And we both know that neither of us is going to come knocking on the others door or start ringing the phone. There are others here I'm not so sure about, so I think the anonymity remains warranted.

Hope all is well--and Happy T-Day.

Seems like in your cute video Obama should say, "Great, go and bring me an immigration bill". Two years pass. Boehner refuses to vote on a bill passed by the Senate. It's Boner who's kicked the bill down the stairs, not Obama. In fact, that's all Boner has done for YEARS is kick EVERY bill down the stairs while trying to blame other people for his ineptitude. What great leadership . Obama is using the powers lawfully vested in his office to actually DO something. Maybe Boner should try doing the same sometime.

Not like the shrill debate between conservatives and liberals is anywhere near limited to this forum, nor is this forum the worst for shrill interactions between these parties.

No matter which side of the debate you are on(or if you in the middle), you've got to recognize that this is the problem. If we can't work together and find middle ground, then we are reduced to shouting at each other from across the the room.

I don't fault Obama for the latest action, except perhaps for the calculated political shrewdness of the move. It was a smart chess move. Congress wasn't doing shit. Nobody wants to piss off the "Latino Vote". If you want to win, you have to figure out how to gain their trust, and wrapped up in that is a bunch of illegal immigrants. So Obama gave temporary (temporary!) legal status to a subset of the illegal immigrants (ones with kids born in the US? Something like that). So he basically forced the hand of the Republicans, using an instrument that despite how conservatives want to paint it, he hasn't used as much as his predecessors. Yes, it is legal status to a bunch of illegals...but its TEMPORARY. So figure it out, kick them out if that is the right thing to do. Whatever. But do something. Both parties need to come together and figure out the right course of action. If it is truly a bipartisan bill then that can happen, and nobody/everybody is to blame.

Anyway, the big elephant in the room with this move IMO is that you are asking these people to sign up as illegals for temporary amnesty or whatever. Who is to say that list isn't used to kick them out later? Obama isn't giving these people a free pass, he can't. He just gave them a temporary one. What a DICKTATOR! Just like FDR with his 3721 executive orders. The power is still with congress to act for a permanent solution.

Seems like in your cute video Obama should say, "Great, go and bring me an immigration bill". Two years pass. Boehner refuses to vote on a bill passed by the Senate. It's Boner who's kicked the bill down the stairs, not Obama. In fact, that's all Boner has done for YEARS is kick EVERY bill down the stairs while trying to blame other people for his ineptitude. What great leadership . Obama is using the powers lawfully vested in his office to actually DO something. Maybe Boner should try doing the same sometime.

It's not the President's place to tell Congress to do anything. In fact, the American people regularly gridlock govt at the midterm to check the executive branch. Works both ways.

It's also worth noting, FYI, that bills are supposed to originate in the House. The fact that Harry Reid's Senate came up with an Obama rubber-stamp bill means jack. Then, of course, there is always the lack of action during the 2009-2011 Democrat-controlled Congress. Obama has played politics with the law, with the recent election he thought Democrats had a chance-in-hell of winning, and with the lives of the very immigrants he claims to champion.

It's not the President's place to tell Congress to do anything. In fact, the American people regularly gridlock govt at the midterm to check the executive branch. Works both ways.

It's also worth noting, FYI, that bills are supposed to originate in the House. The fact that Harry Reid's Senate came up with an Obama rubber-stamp bill means jack. Then, of course, there is always the lack of action during the 2009-2011 Democrat-controlled Congress. Obama has played politics with the law, with the recent election he thought Democrats had a chance-in-hell of winning, and with the lives of the very immigrants he claims to champion.

Bills are supposed to originate in the House. check

Harry Reid rubber stamp. check

lack of action of some historical Congress. check.

Obama has played politics within the law. check.

Thought they had a chance of winning? I bet he knew they wouldn't.

Championing immigrants? Who will then? Should we? I guess Congress is going to figure that out!

Championing immigrants? Who will then? Should we? I guess Congress is going to figure that out!

It's settled then. Congress will have to sort it out. After they neuter the dick-tater. :)

Funny thing is one thing that seems to inhibit non-inflammatory discussion here is the unlikelihood that we are likely to make a point or impression on someone with an opposing viewpoint...we are more likely to raise their hackles. When there is little middle ground, its hard to find sympathy for your foe. We are all here for climbing or skiing mostly, or at least we arrived here because of those things.

I'm afraid the best we can do is remember those things that we share and try to find our common ground. This isn't the plight of just the people of this board, but of everyone these days, or at least it seems to me.

It's settled then. Congress will have to sort it out. After they neuter the dick-tater. :)

If they can do it (sort it out...just owning both houses should do the neuter bit if that makes you happy), they'll have my support. But you do know that the erosion the limits of executive power started with W of course right????? LOL

But i sincerely don't see the conservatives pulling this out...they are all over the map! Half of them want to send them back to Mexico on a boat.

Hello, playing politics is exactly what all of these folks do for a living. What do you call the debt ceiling and guvmint shutdown game of chicken? Politics. At least when Yomama plays politics something gets done. Any sane human will use the powers at his (or her) command to do the best they can for their own self interest and for the world. O has made a move. Now time for the Rs to make a move or shut up. Let's see, threaten to shut down the guvmint? Impeach? Sue the Prez? Wow, those will really advance our nation. Rs are on the wrong side of history on many issues: gay rights, immigration rights, gun control, voting rights, environment, non-rich rights. Anything else I'm missing. Talk and whine all you want. ACTIONS speak louder than words.

MUSHROOM BACON STRUDEL

Ingredients

1. 1 lb small crimini mushrooms, diced

2. ½ sweet onion diced

3. 1/3 lb bacon, fried crispy and diced

4. 3 tablespoons butter

5. 3 tablespoon grapeseed oil

6. 2 tablespoons sherry wine

7. 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme

8. 3 tablespoons cream

9. salt

10. fresh ground black pepper

11. 8 x 9” x 9” sheets phyllo pastry per strudel – makes 4 strudels, so 24 sheets total. 1 box is more than enough.

12. 1/4- cup butter and ¼ cup grapeseed oil (for brushing phyllo)

Preheat oven to 375.

Saute mushrooms in butter and grapeseed oil till well-softened.

Add sherry, thyme, cream, and salt/pepper and cook till thickened

Lay out 9” x 9” phyllo sheets, alternately brushing each with either melted butter or grapeseed oil

Spread ¼ mushroom mix near one end of phyllo, leaving 1” at each end. Roll into log, pinch ends closed, and brush outside with oil or butter. Make 4 strudels.

Oil baking sheet, bake for 20 min or until golden brown.

Let rest for 10 minutes (or freeze for reheating later). Cut crosswise to serve.