Is Mount Stuart Technicle?

Josh Lewis

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the word "mentor" anywhere in a partner-related post is itself a warning sign.

well there are two things here:

1. Being uneducated and being inexperienced (usually remedied with age)

2. Being a dumbass (there doesn't seem to be a cure for that, regardless of age/experience/education)

Of course, when you combine these two items, you usually have a problem you'd rather avoid.

So I don't think that the word "mentor" has anything to do with it. There are some really excellent mentors on the site who have helped people learn the basics during the life span of CC.com.

There may be some people who are good teachers on this site, but 100% of the time, someone who posts up using a variation of the phrase "I'm looking for a mentor" is sketchy and best avoided.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps there's a developmental disability in play here, something along the Asperger's to autism spectrum maybe? Sounds like there's been issues with taking direction, so it may not be as simple as taking someone out and showing them some pointers. Something needs to happen though, because Josh is bound and determined to get out in the mountains. I don't know what sort of organized support there is for this, but I think more is needed than a basic mountaineering course or a trip up the South Arete of SEWS.

Josh, as a bit of advice, Chris McCandless is not a role model, he's a dead clueless fool.

I don't know what sort of organized support there is for this, but I think more is needed than a basic mountaineering course or a trip up the South Arete of SEWS.

Even basic courses require raw material to work with. He should start someplace like here.

NWHikers.net - View Forum - Trail Talk - Favorite Backcountry Comfort Item

i love real dick !!

i just fell out of my chair and spewed merlot all over the carpet and through my friggen nose! that awesome! thanks I really needed a laugh today!

:blush::lmao:

Edited by tazz

:lmao: Hey, I don't even play a doctor on cc.com, its just that reading his trip reports strongly reminded me of a couple high functioning autistic kids I've known.

Thst's because I do have high functioning autism..... no seriously.... but don't worry, it's not that bad.

Today Mark taught me how to climb cliffs and all that good stuff, we didn't get into using cams and such, at Mount Erie there's little bolts you can hook your tubular webbing into, and he showed me how to set up anchors, personal anchors, belaying, repell, and all that good stuff... tommorow I might do more.

Edited by Josh Lewis

A few of the things missing from your list Josh are experience and patience.

I admire your ambition Josh, I really do.

I recall when I was starting out and I knew no one who climbed let alone a person willing to be a mentor.

I spent a lot of time reading books on technique and technical systems and spent alot of time practicing these on small cliffs and boulders and trying things out. I did alot of things that probably could have killed me but I was lucky and I eventually met people who were experienced and I learned from them.

Years later I even braved taking a ration of shit from my partners for taking a mountaineering class as a way of having an objective party teach me more and checking the systems I was already using.

I guess what I am saying Josh is that you need to gain experience and work your way up to harder and more commiting routes so that you are making decisions based on experience and sound judgement instead of youthful enthusiasm. When you head out with a bag of ambition and lack the skills to back it up you put not only your life in danger but also your partners lives and ultimately the lives of the people that either come out to retrive your body or attempt to rescue you.

I have been climbing for over 20 years and involved in Mountain Rescue and I am still learning new skills Josh.

The best advice I can offer you is to keep in mind that the mountains are not going anywhere buddy.

Take your time, learn your skills, have patience and spend many years climbing responsibly.

"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old bold climbers"

Whatever. Don't listen to this old fart. Put some duct tape on your feet and start sending shit with some of that tubular fucking webbing. Start making first autistic ascents.

There's plenty of old bold climbers. Unfortunately there's plenty of old climbers that are full of shit too.

You guys don't know my technical skills, so I don't think it's fair to judge me.

And you've learned how to spell "technical" since you started this thread!

Thst's because I do have high functioning autism..... no seriously.... but don't worry, it's not that bad.

Oh, did you get one of those creams that keeps the rash in check?

Bosterson is making fun of the kid with autism. New low.

I agree with Pete: Go for it, Josh! Live and learn!

Ok, but I will be very safe, I have other guys with me that will have radio's, maps, and all the other essential gear. If it's too dangerous, we could always turn around, were going with someone experience and has been to the top before.

Edited by Josh Lewis

I commend you for being honest Josh!!!! I know thats not an easy thing to announce for you. :-)

I try to be honest, but sometimes my point of view can at times be I guess what you might describe a little crazy.... for ex. Calling nwers crazy sometimes... but I guess as you say, because they care, or atleast that's your reason. And I appreciate it!

oh jeez

Parden me for having Autism, parden me for being a human..... parden me .... ok I'm done. Well anyways I couldn't help that part of me.... or are you saying that because I made it public? Awww it's ok, I'm just kidding on this post. I like the second oh jeez... never heard that one before.

we all have our "disabilities". even Bill Gates.

mpaired social interaction

Not responding to name

Not look at people

Not smiling - note that normal newborns do not smile for several weeks

Avoid eye contact

Not liking cuddles

Lack of imaginative play

Lack of social play

Inability to make friends

Lack stranger anxiety - this develops within the first year.

Lack separation anxiety - once this develops (first year), when mother departs normal infants are upset.

Independence - doesn't seek help or interact with others.

Plays alone

Unprovoked attacks on others

Verbal communication problems

Inability to sustain conversation

Appears deaf at times

Language stereotyped

Repetive language

Unusual language

Not talking - many autistic infants are mute, or become mute after initially making sounds.

Echolalia - only parroting what they hear (many normal infants also do this).

Confusing pronouns - mixing up "I", "you", and "we" or similar words.

Nonverbal communication problems

Obsessions

Unusual or severely limited activities and interests

Repetitive movements - rocking, hair twirling

Inflexibility with highly specific routines and rituals

Overly focused attention on specific objects

Lines things up

Sensory symptoms

Hypersensitivity to sensory stimuli - e.g. taste, sound, etc.

Reduced sensitivity to pain

Extraordinarily sensitive to sensations

Self-mutilation

Early symptoms of possible autism

Regression - negative change from normal early development into impaired abilities; about 20% of cases have a regression

Delayed development - slow to speak

No babbling by 12 months

No gesturing by 12 months

No single words by 16 months

No two-word phrases by 24 months

Loss of language skills already acquired

Loss of words

Loss of social skills already acquired

Tantrums

Hyperactivity

Savant abilities - rare gift of very unusual abilities in music, math or other areas.

be safe, have fun Josh.