Thanks for the Dictator

Fairweather

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ole'rand seems ready to pitch the drug war over the side of the ship, so that's certainly a start - shit, even bill maher was downright cordial to him a few weeks ago - feller seems smart and can actually speak the fucking english language too - i'm sure your side could make a far worse choice, so therefore i'm sure they will :)

as far as joe goes, be careful what you wish for.

Edited by ivan

Someone who believes in individual liberty and separation of powers.

the presidency seems to have a clear transformative effect on a man's convictions, and not always for bad - jefferson warped his and bought half the usa - lincoln his too and saved the union - i'm at a loss to see what cherished rights of yours have been shit on over the past 6 years though? my god, you HAVE to have health insurance now! surely the history books will sing of this unholy aggression for centuries to come :)

the zapping folks w/ predators at all hours shit is admitedly quite disturbing - i have zero confidence that situation would be any more reasonable w/ conservatives at the helm. lbj, for all his warts, was still the better call than goldwater, no?

Well hail fucking Cesar. Two more years of this shit bag?

This kind of language only serves to further expose you. You won't care of course, but you should...

d

Not sure why. (Please tell me.) Meantime, feel free to defend a president who has no regard for the Constitution re immigration law or his own healthcare law, uses the IRS as a political tool, spies on citizens and allies alike, and uses the Justice Dept to harass reporters. Like I said, thanks for the dictator. You should be ashamed.

This kind of language only serves to further expose you. You won't care of course, but you should...

d

Not sure why. (Please tell me.) Meantime, feel free to defend a president who has no regard for the Constitution re immigration law or his own healthcare law, uses the IRS as a political tool, spies on citizens and allies alike, and uses the Justice Dept to harass reporters. Like I said, thanks for the dictator. You should be ashamed.

Congress had 6 years to fix immigration. What they accomplished is jack and shit. Why don't you mention this? Actually- this is the only logical step in face of House absentia. This is a Republican Congress, that passed the least legislation in the entire history of Congress. I mean Obama with all his faults has approval rating 3 times higher then the House- which is about 10%.

First, Democrats controlled Congress for Obama's first two years in office. Why wasn't there urgency then? Second, you don't seem to have a grasp on how American government is structured. Congress isn't there to do whatever the President wants ala Putin's Russia. There is a process. And Obama, clearly, thinks the process is beneath him.

First, Democrats controlled Congress for Obama's first two years in office. Why wasn't there urgency then? Second, you don't seem to have a grasp on how American government is structured. Congress isn't there to do whatever the President wants ala Putin's Russia. There is a process. And Obama, clearly, thinks the process is beneath him.

Seems like the issue was kicked down the road all the way from the 70's. I am probably a bit more in tune then you, as far as immigration laws are concerned, having gone through the system 2 times- one time myself, another with my wife. Most likely you would not even know what forms to use and how to fill them. Do you even know some of the applications are over 30 pages long, and asking if you ever were a member of Nazi or communist party? I am an anti-communist, but for fuck sakes- are we in the 50's? Why can't there be a form with 2 pages of actual verifiable information? The whole precess is so fucked- took my wife 13 months to get permanent residence, and green card plus citizenships was close to 4 grand ! I agree, that should have been addressed 6 years ago, but it was not, and it will not, until someone does something. Senate passed an immigration reform, while House would not even bring it to the vote- can you tell me why? it's because unlike popular perception the status quo is creating an army of slave labor with no rights whatsoever.

The issue is that the whole system is fucked. It's flooded with corporate interest money, and an ordinary person is denied representation. That goes for Presidency, and Congress. Pointing fingers at Democrats or Republicans and who is at fault is a good diversion from discussing a real issue, which is corporate rule and corporate oligarchy developing in front of our eyes.

d

Well, first off, there's a difference between hyperbole, and rhetoric. Your post was, in my opinion, hyperbolic. This makes you seem more interested in appearing to be a pugnacious sort, than actually coming close to making a point.

I do think President Obama has done a good job with what he's had to work with. Most of us are familiar with the talking points, inherited two wars an economy on the brink of depression, ordered the mission to kill bin laden etc etc... It seems to me it's about trust. Doesn't matter much whom we vote in, it's gonna be a mixed bag in the end. Nobody does that job perfect. Yeah, I voted for him twice. I'm not ashamed of that. I trust that he's trying to do the right things for the right reasons. I didn't trust GW that way. So ok. You accuse him personally of things over which he has only some control. Going back to Bush II immigration reform has been a pain in the ass. Took both parties then to kill what I thought to be a good bill, comprehensive immigration reform, that dubya gets credit for supporting. He fought for it and it failed. Now after talking about it again for the last 6 years the President has made a decision to lead. So you don't like it. So ok. I don't like that congress and the administration couldn't have found a way to get something done together but that ship has obviously sailed. Not all anybody's fault. History will be pretty kind I think.

A good friend of mine told me something that has stuck with me. We were watching shock and awe on the tv. I was vehemently opposed to the invasion of Iraq and still am. This guy told me that sometimes, leaders have to lead us where we don't want to go, but we have to go. While I understood what he was saying, I was still wishing the other guy had won the election in 2k though. This President is just trying to lead, during some exceptionally difficult times.

More concerning to me now though, is that there seems to be a growing fear in this country. People are bombarded with the bad news and there's a lot of it. Hyperbole over rhetoric seems to be the order of the day which only contributes to it... When people use this type of language they appear fearful to me. When the shit hits the fan for real, the loud ones are usually not much good...

I understand this forum is about a lot of things including hyperbole at times but why does everything have to get so personal, and shrill?

d

Doug,

A thoughtful reply, much appreciated. I will point out a couple of things I disagree with. First, think what you want about the Iraq War; Bush went to Congress to authorize it. Did he lie to get an authorization passed? You no doubt say yes--and I'll say he was poorly informed. Still, he went to Congress and made a case. And negotiated. Why is it beneath Obama to do the same?

Second, I'm not sure where you draw your line between rhetoric and hyperbole, but my use of "shitbag" no doubt puts it in the latter category. I never pretended otherwise. As you yourself said, this isn't a debating session, and given the thousands of gems that were leveled by posters here against our former president, I don't think my words are beyond the pale. Were you as outraged then?

Anyhow, I do think the process is more important than any ideal--or single man, or perceptions of "leadership." And I do think this president is setting very dangerous precedents. Americans seem to prefer negotiation and compromise as a solution to the very gridlock they impose mid-term. Obama is thumbing his nose at the path out. And that's not hyperbole.

Edited by Fairweather