The Dubya

Thinker

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

GW told the troops this morning that they would be going to Iraq to fight for freedom. To all of you who are bored at work I ask if you believe any of the following:

1. We are going to Iraq to liberate oppressed people.

2. We have to disarm Saddam because he may use his weapons agains the U.S. homeland if we don't stop him now.

3. We will be less vulnerable to terrorism if we go to war in Iraq.

I believe #1. While that may not be the true motivation for invasion(I have no idea of what the real reason is confused.gif), it does sound like ousting Saddam will most likely make most Iraqi's* life better.

* those not killed/injured by the actual invasion

I am skeptical about #'s 2 and 3. I think it is conceivable that #3 might be quite the opposite.

Point 4: Once we do our good deeds in killing all the bad people in Iraq, good people will rush in and rule the country to the benefit of all Iraqis.

This is more or less what Paul Wolfowitz has assumed all along. It flies in the face of history, especially if you look at the religious schisms in Iraq. Very little attention has been devoted to this issue. Almost every discussion (if you can call it that) focuses on the "getting even" aspect of bombing Al Quaeda or Iraq or whatever stand-in one chooses and leaves out the issue of what comes next.

Point 4: Once we do our good deeds in killing all the bad people in Iraq, good people will rush in and rule the country to the benefit of all Iraqis.

It sounds like life is very rough for Iraqis right now. They may not get a perfect regime next, but it sounds like it'd be pretty tough to get one that is worse. Plus, if we finally trash Saddam, there is good probability that our 13 year war with Iraq will end. No more international boycott. No more continuous bombing.

Access to the international economy. Less bombs falling from the air. Removal of a regime that kills and tortures its people at random to keep a firm grip on power. That's gotta make life a bit better for your average Iraqi.

I think the reason the Bush admin does not use the human interest version to justify the invasion is twofold

1) That the Bush administration would be trying to help downtrodden peoples is even less believable than the current charade.

2) The current charade is working great. Outside of Seattle and a couple of other liberal bastions the American public is eating this sh*t up! Plus, a lotta people wouldn't support "helping" people, but most everybody is into a bit of revenge.

Point 4 is really part of point 1. Unlike our friend ChucK, I do not believe it for a minute.

Matt,

I agree with you in that I do not believe for a minute that helping the Iraqi people is even 3rd on the list of motivations for this war. However, as was spelled out by my post above, the "embetterment" of the Iraqi peoples is I feel at least a bright side of the inevitable climax of hostilities.

Come on, you guys. You speak, in all seriousness, about what's good for the Iraqis. Have any of you even spoken to a single Iraqi? How noble....

And the justification you present for an invasion: "We've been making life hell in Iraq for 13 years. Might as well invade."

Ummm, maybe we could simply STOP making life hell in Iraq by lifting the sanctions?

SC, you're still a clueless idiot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the living conditions (as reported by people who have visited or lived there) are not A-1 and that it is due to Saddam's domestic agenda.

WE have been the cause of their living conditions? Well, clueless, their president has chosen not to abide by the surrender agreement signed after the Gulf War. We are just enforcing it. Saddam Hussein, and no one else, has chosen to neglect the needs of his people. You are a fucking apologist asshole. You make me sick.