ultralight shells

dbconlin

So, a recent Rock & Ice had a test of some ultralight shells. Many of the less-expensive ones used a proprietary "waterproof-breathable" fabric. This review commented on design, fit, and breathability, but not waterproofness. Does anyone have experience with inexpensive ultralight shells, especially with regard to their waterproofness.

Right now I am thinking of either the:

Marmot Precip

OR

Sierra Designs Tempest

So comments on these two, or other well-liked or stay-away-from models would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that review...it's full of hype. The Arc'teryx shell is nice, but the fit is no better than, say, the Sierra Designs Peak Bagger, which I scored for $99 at Sierratradingpost.com. I think they're all waterproof, but the three-layer fabrics are more durable and more waterproof and more breathable than the two-layer coated fabrics. I must say, I am very happy with the SD, and shelling out $300 for a light raincoat isn't an option for me.

If your looking for a winter only shell (i.e. you can get by with only water resistant) the Patagonia Essenshell rocks. And the Anorak is $39 at the outlet this week (give 'em a call!). The SD Peak Bagger is great if your looking for something more waterproof (but it's not Gore-tex level waterproof)

for a rain shell - just go with the cheapest "breathable" jacket you can find. you will hardly ever wear it and when you do you don't want to give it special treatment since you paid $300 shocked.gif. i have the precip and while it may not be a GREAT jacket, it does its job. as far as the jackets wetting out - be sure to use some sort of DWR on them regularly (at least a couple times a year). they bead water nicely when you buy them, but slowly turn into a sponge. techtron works well, some like the wash-in nickwax stuff. epic is great stuff, but won't keep you dry heavy rain - in that case you should just go home anyways wink.gif.

I guess I have a similar need. I want something cheap and tought that can stand up to getting jammed into an offwidth crack, and block the wind, be relatively breathable, but not necessarily super waterproof. Ultralight and no hood would be great as well. I'll use the Arc'gucci gore-texxx when it's wet and raining or snowy, but something that is cheap enough to trash without feeling bad would be nice.

I want something cheap and tought that can stand up to getting jammed into an offwidth crack, and block the wind, be relatively breathable, but not necessarily super waterproof. Ultralight and no hood would be great as well.

Have you looked at the Wild Things Epic Windshirt? It fulfills all those requirements at just $99.

i have both wild things wind shirts - go with the epic! evils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gif. i have it and love it. as for the nylon windshirt - not as windproof, or water resistant, or durable. it really is a waste of money. barely lasted me a summer.

by the way, if you are looking at getting any wild things stuff they are having a sale. take a advantage - it doesn't happen very often.