[TR] North Early Winters Spire - NW Corner (III, 5.9) 9/1/2012

Tom_Sjolseth

Trip: North Early Winters Spire - NW Corner (III, 5.9)

Date: 9/1/2012

Trip Report:

Daniel Jeffrey and I climbed this superb route on Saturday. We found the climbing and the quality of rock to be pretty great - fun and sustained on excellent granite. We just wished the route were longer.

Being Labor Day weekend, there were dozens of people climbing on the Liberty Bell group - I believe 4 teams climbed the NW Corner of NEWS. The line-up for the DEB of Liberty Bell was almost comical.

IMG_1762_resize1.JPG

IMG_1767_resize.JPG

IMG_1772_resize.JPG

IMG_1773_resize.JPG

IMG_1777_resize1.JPG

IMG_1781_resize.JPG

IMG_1786_resize1.JPG

IMG_1787_resize1.JPG

IMG_1792_resize.JPG

IMG_1799_resize1.JPG

Gear Notes:

Doubles to 2", singles 3-5". We could have left the #5 at home and brought an extra #4 for the off-width.

Approach Notes:

55 minutes to the base of the route on easy trail.

Descent is easy.. three rappels into the notch between SEWS and NEWS, then two more in the gully below. 60m rope will work, 70m works better. Rappel anchors have recently been rebolted.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Guys! A great climb

I took my biggest whipper I have ever taken in the mountains on that climb(if you can call WA Pass the mountains!). Luckily it was on a #3, it was a bit wet and greasy at the time. Strangely enough I fell at the exact same spot several years later when I was on second. Guess that off width is a bit too hard for me!

That looks like a sweet route. My buddy and I did the SW Rib on SEWS the same day. We were first on the route and there were a dozen people waiting by the time we finished the first pitch. An early start is definitely a must, but then you have to face the cold!

I was a part of that cluster just after you guys. Luckily we were next on the route, as there were enough people that others decided to change objectives. Here is a picture of Tom and Daniel on NEWS.

IMG_4832.jpg

Sol, it's a classic if you link it up with the West Face route a well. Do the W. Face first, and if you rappel and scramble fast enough back to the NW Corner, it can feel like a continuous, 6 pitch route.

How'd you arrive at 6 pitches?

Like the idea though!

Sol, it's a classic if you link it up with the West Face route a well. Do the W. Face first, and if you rappel and scramble fast enough back to the NW Corner, it can feel like a continuous, 6 pitch route.

How'd you arrive at 6 pitches?

Like the idea though!

Both routes can be done in three, rope stretching pitches with a 60m, with a wee bit of simul climbing on the first pitch up to the large alcove.

When we going to climb something?!