Post-PatrioEjacula Memorial Day Reality Check

prole

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather that you presented a critical view of American policy without also making fun of people who spent the previous day grateful for American heroes, which is how this thread started (and what the other one turned into).

Maybe I'm just wrong, but it seems to me that your message (and j_b's) is generally that it is wrong to have an overall favorable view of America -- virtually anytime anything positive is stated, you respond with a criticism. It's almost like you don't want there to be anything positive.

Your message would be better received (by me, at least) if it didn't seem like you had an axe to grind.

That you can muster an overall positive view today, says more about your insularity and the veneer status of your liberal convictions than anything else considering the role played in spreading the neoliberal cancer that is ripping apart social fabrics and economies across the world, the leading role of plutocracy in deciding the future of democracy, our ranking near the bottom of most indicators of social fairness and economic justice in the developed world (and some) as well as the disastrous wars that we keep waging. Why should it be so surprising that some people aren't interested buying into the glorification of the military that enforce a calamitous foreign policy, even if most of these individuals weren't really responsible for the role they played? Now, you won't read me slagging off soldiers, little less the dead ones, but don't try to force your militarism on all of us, especially when you can't recognize that honoring the victims of conflicts on all sides is the right thing to do.

For the record, I have spent quite a bit of my time here opposing the many (likely including you) who keep calling Americans stupid as if they were responsible for the mind-numbing propaganda spewed by the media and the policies implemented by Washington DC.

"To criticize one's country is to do it a service and pay it a compliment. It is a service because it may spur the country to do better than it is doing; it is a compliment because it evidences a belief that the country can do better than it is doing...in a democracy dissent is an act of faith...it is an act of patriotism, a higher form of patriotism, I believe, than the familiar rituals of national adulation."

William Fulbright (hardly a flawless man, but think he hits this memorial day-brouhaha right on the head)

That you can muster an overall positive view today, says more about your insularity and the veneer status of your liberal convictions than anything else

:lmao:

translation: you're not a real liberal if you don't hate america

"To criticize one's country is to do it a service and pay it a compliment. It is a service because it may spur the country to do better than it is doing; it is a compliment because it evidences a belief that the country can do better than it is doing...in a democracy dissent is an act of faith...it is an act of patriotism, a higher form of patriotism, I believe, than the familiar rituals of national adulation."

William Fulbright (hardly a flawless man, but think he hits this memorial day-brouhaha right on the head)

A good patriot only ever has bad things to say?

Choose the appropriate venue to air the criticism and words to set the tone. And timing, timing is everything. Prole and j-b fail on all three.

"To criticize one's country company is to do it a service and pay it a compliment. It is a service because it may spur the country company to do better than it is doing; it is a compliment because it evidences a belief that the country company can do better than it is doing...in a democracy dissent is an act of faith...it is an act of patriotism, a higher form of patriotism, I believe, than the familiar rituals of national adulation."

Sweet. This modified quote will come in handy for my upcoming performance review.

Holy shit, it's the day after the day after Memorial Day. Can we post something about the appalling number of American children living in poverty, Captain America?

"PatrioEjacula" - yeah that starts off the conversation on the right foot.

Funny, you didn't have a problem with it to begin with. You started by trying to get all Jay_B on that shit and failed miserably.

That you can muster an overall positive view today, says more about your insularity and the veneer status of your liberal convictions than anything else

:lmao:

translation: you're not a real liberal if you don't hate america

Thank you for sounding like a right wing wingnut and substantiating the point I was making.

A good patriot only ever has bad things to say?

because when, for example, I am defending the role that government used to have in the economy against anti-tax/"small government" demagogues, I am only saying bad things?

The truth of the matter is you only see what you want to see.

"PatrioEjacula" - yeah that starts off the conversation on the right foot.

actually, 'side from the 'tard-'tard bunny, that part of the title's the best bit of the bit as i see it :)

is there an EPIC button?

we should spend more $$ on education. It's not surprising that the most impoverished tend to be poorly educated.

I can agree with that. My wife works for a tribe in the South Sound, and any tribal member who wants to go to college gets a free ride. The tribe has maybe 850 enrolled members, from elders to babies, and at this time 58 are in college. Smartest thing that tribe can do with their money if you ask me. The US Govt. should be half as smart, but kids today face far more debt accumulation for the sake of their education than those of us who did college in the 70's and 80's.

we should spend more $$ on education. It's not surprising that the most impoverished tend to be poorly educated.

I can agree with that. My wife works for a tribe in the South Sound, and any tribal member who wants to go to college gets a free ride. The tribe has maybe 850 enrolled members, from elders to babies, and at this time 58 are in college. Smartest thing that tribe can do with their money if you ask me. The US Govt. should be half as smart, but kids today face far more debt accumulation for the sake of their education than those of us who did college in the 70's and 80's.

True that- a big rise in US economy post WW2 was GI bill and ability of low/rural folks to go to college. Strange, that the same "free loaders" are now the biggest teabag supporters.