Are IceWorms Endangered?

Dru

See... iceworms are only found on glaciers not in your average snow patch.

Mid latitude temperate glaciers (including all in the Lower 48)ar eprojected to vanish in the next 50 years or so due to global warming....

That will probably kill all the iceworms in the Lower 48

SO - could the US Endangered Species Law be used to force implementation of a stricter Kyoto Protocol, in order to reduce global warming and protect endangered iceworm habitat? (And glacial ice climbs for climbers as an unexpected side benefit?)

Just wondering.....?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

S

Mid latitude temperate glaciers (including all in the Lower 48)are projected to vanish in the next 50 years or so due to global warming....

really? good thing they keep finding new ones in Montana ... didn't they find 50 brand new glaciers last year?

"SO - could the US Endangered Species Law be used to force implementation of a stricter Kyoto Protocol, in order to reduce global warming and protect endangered iceworm habitat? (And glacial ice climbs for climbers as an unexpected side benefit?)"

One could make a convincing arguement for the cyclic nature of the earth's temperature [geek]

It's all a cluster fuck. The Arctic ocean is predicted to be ice-free for part of the year within 50 years. Alaska has an average temperature that has increased seven degrees in the last 30 years. The largest forest kill by beetles has occured reportedly because of this warming (it's on the Kenai, and fire insurance can't be had there anymore). Songbirds and mosquitoes are in parts of Nunavat where no one has seen them before. The days of iceworms are numbered.

Damn! I think you're really on to something, Dru. Contrary to aggressive and sal, sounds to me like this could become a real juggernaut...I can think of all kinds of doctoral theses and continuing studies, grants and monies provided for such, further fund-raising for new specialized enviro sub-groups ("Save the Iceworms!", iceworm rights activists, iceworm eco-terrorists), PAC groups, etc., leading to influence of new legislation and...the SAVING of our glaciers! I wanna continue to climb on alpine and glacier ice until I'm too old to swing my tools! And I want my children to, too! Go for it Dru, we're behind ya!

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

quote:

S

Mid latitude temperate glaciers (including all in the Lower 48)are projected to vanish in the next 50 years or so due to global warming....

really? good thing they keep finding new ones in Montana ... didn't they find 50 brand new glaciers last year?

average size of those glaciers 100 square feet?

Hey Dru!

Why hasn't Canada ratified Kyoto? Has it even been submitted to your parliment? Maybe it's because your govt sees it as the joke it really is. Only difference is GW has the balls to come right out and say it while the "smug" Canadians let us take the heat. ....I think they're GLAD we're holding out!...takes some of the political heat off of themselves at home. Please go to http://unfccc.int/resource/kpstats.pdf to see a list of countries who see fit to judge the USA on this matter, but are themselves hypocrites. And please don't respond with the usual statistics....USA consumes XX% of the world's resources, yet has only XX% of the population, blah, blah. ...Last time I checked we were almost 40% of the worlds economy.

By the way; where did you get your "50 years and glaciers in the lower 48 are gone" data? I think you might have read a few too many Greenpeace junk mailers. [Wink] ...And if you're really looking at ways to twist the system; I always thought the ADA could be used effectively to temper the Wilderness Act or the ESA.

[ 06-24-2002, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

Hey Dru!

Why hasn't Canada ratified Kyoto? Has it even been submitted to your parliment? Maybe it's because your govt sees it as the joke it really is. Only difference is GW has the balls to come right out and say it while the "smug" Canadians let us take the heat. ....I think they're GLAD we're holding out!...takes some of the political heat off of themselves at home. Please go to
to see a list of countries who see fit to judge the USA on this matter, but are themselves hypocrites. And please don't respond with the usual statistics....USA consumes XX% of the world's resources, yet has only XX% of the population, blah, blah. ...Last time I checked we were almost 40% of the worlds economy.

By the way; where did you get your "50 years and glaciers in the lower 48 are gone" data? I think you might have read a few too many Greenpeace junk mailers.
[Wink]
...And if you're really looking at ways to twist the system; I always thought the ADA could be used effectively to temper the Wilderness Act or the ESA.

You know I started this whole thread to see if I could troll myself a Fairweather and it took a few days, but, I GOT'UM!!!!

[big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Not sure about the 50 years statement, but mass balance measurements in the north cascades have shown that 10% of the entire volume of the N. Cascades glaciers has disappeared over the past 17 years. Perhaps you could extrapolate from that.

quote:

where did you get your "50 years and glaciers in the lower 48 are gone" data? I think you might have read a few too many Greenpeace junk mailers.

statistic cited in Sapiano, Harrison & Echelmeyer, J. Glaciol. V. 44 no. 146 pp. 119-135, and elsewhere. I summarized it as "50 years more or less". see original article for error bars.

quote:

quote:

where did you get your "50 years and glaciers in the lower 48 are gone" data? I think you might have read a few too many Greenpeace junk mailers.

statistic cited in Sapiano, Harrison & Echelmeyer, J. Glaciol. V. 44 no. 146 pp. 119-135, and elsewhere. I summarized it as "50 years more or less". see original article for error bars.

Ha ha Fairweather, how's that hook feel in your mouth. [Razz]

I'm sure all the science you agree with is free from political agendas unlike the science you don't agree with. [Wink]

Don't you think it's interesting how tobacco companies used to be able to find lots of scientists that thought cigarettes were harmless.

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:

quote:

quote:

Ha ha Fairweather, how's that hook feel in your mouth.
[Razz]

I'm sure all the science you agree with is free from political agendas unlike the science you don't agree with.
[Wink]

Don't you think it's interesting how tobacco companies used to be able to find lots of scientists that thought cigarettes were harmless.

Please AK,

The similarity between the tobacco company "scientists" and human-causation global warming scientists are that they both represent a minority viewpoint. Last year 6000 members of the American Academy of Sciences sent GW a letter supporting the theory of human caused global warming. The media reported this with great fare....only they forgot to report that another 15,000 members refused to sign the letter declaring that no direct link could be established.

I think it is you AK, who picks and choses his science. And as for Dru.....trolling; my ass. In all likelihood you weren't even aware your home country was balking on Kyoto. Why don't you petition your rep up there in the great white north before you cry about iceworms down here in the USA? [Razz]

.....and IF this was really just an elaborate ruse to lure me into your tawdry web of pointless winter-time debate....well then, you got me you crazy Canuk. [Roll Eyes]

[ 06-25-2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

FW the reason I suggested the USA use the EPA to force Kyoto Implementation was because USA have EPA and we dont [Roll Eyes]

But yeah mainly I posted this just cause I knew when you read it you wouldnt be able to resist spewing some oil company "tobacco science". [laf] Hooked Ya Good!!!!

Look, in the best case, we misinterpreted the data, and global warming has nothing to do with human interaction with the environment. Is it really going to kill us if we lower our emissions anyways? I really don't see this putting the US at a disadvantage globally. We already enjoy so much that others do not. And what if we were right about global warming afterall? That's a big risk to just dismiss.

To simply write off the human component to the present-day warming trend and to spread this stuff around is irresponsible, at best. The science is there, the CO2 to warming relationship is undeniable, and anyone who takes the time to look at it objectively would agree. Since the Industrial Revolution, CO2 emissions have skyrocketed. Isn't it worth considering, that just maybe we might be responsible for this?

• 5 weeks later...