Stuart/Colchuck Lake TH Closed

fredrogers

Just received a letter from my dear friends at the LW Ranger station. Apparently the two bridges to the Stuart/Colchuck Lake TH have "exceeded their useful life" and are closed to vehiclular traffic for this season and most likely into next. This is closed to all traffic- foot or vehiclular- for the whole season- effectively shutting down access into the Enchantments from this TH.

The good news is that they have the funding to replace the bridges- something I guess we should be greatful for in this economy.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred, I sure hope you are just f8*&^%ing! with us. If you are serious, this really blows.

The Leavenworth rangers seem to the most clueless idiots of all the forest servcie rangers. (no bridge foot traffic?) I smell another motive here.

quote:

Originally posted by Jens:
Fred, I sure hope you are just f8*&^%ing! with us. If you are serious, this really blows.

The Leavenworth rangers seem to the most clueless idiots of all the forest servcie rangers. (no bridge foot traffic?) I smell another motive here.

I wish I was, Jens. I wish I was. It's on official letterhead and all.

Closed to foot traffic is probably only during the day, unless they have some of those dickheads from Ameri-Trails (or whatever that runs the campgrounds in the Icicle) on duty. Those fuckers blow.

quote:

Originally posted by Jens:

I wish I was, Jens. I wish I was. It's on official letterhead and all.

Closed to foot traffic is probably only during the day, unless they have some of those dickheads from Ameri-Trails (or whatever that runs the campgrounds in the Icicle) on duty. Those fuckers blow.

It is absolutely ridiculous that the Forest service plans to spend an entire year replacing two bridges. Like Jens, I sense that there is some reason other than the bridges that they want to close the road for a year. If the Forest Service cannot be convinced against this year-long closure through civil means, I might resort to illegal acts. This only reinforces my opinion that RANGER = TRAIL NAZI.

Yes, those Amera-Trails guys are lame. Once I went to drive up that road to climb dragontail. Those guys beat us and locked the gate by like 5 minutes. The road was completely melted out but they said they would open in the next day. We had to walk the whole friggin dirt road. We should have just gone sport climbing. The road had previously been opened for short periods.

Another time they forced a whole bunch of us to stay at 8mile campground for a couple hours because of a washout down near the clamshell cave trailhead. Yes, there was a washout, but people had been getting though much sooner than the 3 hours that the Amer trails dudes blocked all of us in. At least a retired couple in their winebeggo gave us some free beer. I have had Ok experiences most places with us forest service people except for leavenworth. Those guys are not only clueless but lame.

When I was wearing green underwear we built a bigger bridge than either of those using crosscut saws, adz, and axes in 4 months. We had horses to pull the logs. We got the coveted "Primitive Skills Award" for the project and I even got to shake hands with the Chief of the Forest Service. It took weeks to get that smell off.

There's somethin brewin here that don't even smell good to me. Funding is based on previous years' use. Maybe the Enchantments are just too dang expensive. Maybe the answer lies in the murky smoke filled back rooms where industry fatcats hump forest service rangers and the policy prevails. Policy comes down from the execuative branch. Thank you George. Like your dad, you will go down in history as "the Environmental President".

I heard about a bug that ate a president's shit once. He swelled up bigger than a tic and lingered that way for days. When he finally popped, no one could go within four inches of the drip line for weeks.

We gotta mobilize here folks. No shit. frown.gif" border="0

There is another closure in the works. They are considering salvage logging for the 2001 fire that closed portions of Icicle Canyon last year. This will occur in august/september and will close the same areas as before. I spoke with the USFS yesterday and my impression is that they are very cooperative and interested in climber input. The woman I spoke with has been out locating climber's trails, boulders and crags,etc. and was concerned with access issues in other areas, too. Trying to put a positive spin on the logging thing, I suggested it might be a good time to improve the "trail" to Bathtub Dome, which has become popular in recent years and got heavily scorched in the fire. She was most receptive to this and other ideas. I'm not sure where I stand on the logging thing, but if they do it, they do it. I would hold off on the militant attitude for now.

They were very nice and helpful the other week when they went out of their way to call me long distance twice to inform me that this closure would affect my plans on my Enchantments Backcountry permit application. They could have easily just thrown it aside. cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:
They were very nice and helpful the other week when they went out of their way to call me long distance twice to inform me that this closure would affect my plans on my Enchantments Backcountry permit application. They could have easily just thrown it aside.
cool.gif" border="0

Pasayo, you are a tool.

mad.gif" border="0

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: vegetablebelay ]

I posted the link and story on the main access page... this is pretty bogus, but at least they are going to repair the bridges and not take the Olympic NP route and let them get washed out and never repair them (enchanted vally access).

I know there is a major movement in the park service to preserve wilderness areas, and new construction is highly scrutinized. when my friend in yosemite needs to make any modifcations to any "historical structure" he has to go through all sorts of red tape.

so on that note (i'm getting off thread topic)... why the proposed new developments in MRNP???

anyhow, i'm making no sense now.

quote:

Originally posted by TIMM@Y:
...let them get washed out and never repair them...

This is exactly what I would like to see happen. Nothing like geographical barriers to protect an already over-used, abused, over-regulated, fragile alpine environment. I can walk the few extra miles. Think of all the people who wouldn't. If access took a little more physical effort, maybe permits would be unnecessary.

I'm pretty much with you Retro. But to not allow foot traffic up that dirt road is #$@$$@% ludicrous!!!! Hell, we should be able to ford the stream if the bridge was gone. This is one stinky RAT with a hidden agenda. And to think they can (try to) charge us for NON-ACCESS!!!! Not for a mili-second would I let this stop me from walking up that road if I really wanted. Fortunately, I've had my days in the enchantments and there's plenty of other cool stuff. But Tripple Couloirs and finishing Ice Cliff Glacier are on my list and if conditions are right, up that road I will go. FUCK 'EM!!!!

I agree there might be a hidden agenda. But even so, Retro’s thoughts strike me as nothing than his usual selfish thoughts. His main motivation seems to reduce “others” ability to easily access an area that he has quick and easy access to. Let’s say you drove from Bremerton, Portland or BC - a few miles can easily change the viability of a weekend trip dramatically. Retro of course agrees with this. Hopefully whatever the NPS’ motivations they will not be nearly as self serving as Retro’s. If each choice is always analyzed by how it impacts me directly and in isolation, we will all wake up someday in some place we’d never imagined. Then when we say “how did we get here” it’ll too late..

payaso:

They were just doing their job, they MUST contact you because of an established procedure. Doesn't mean anything in regards to their intentions or smarts.

Retrosaurus:

It is not like the bridges are washed out, it is about ACCESS! You can easily be restricted to even go that direction, on foot or not. That's what's important and I too suspect a hidden agenda. "Evil doers".

They may also be concerned about the instability above the road because of the fires, so in a typical fashion just chop the head, get rid of the headache.

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:
Peter,Are you a politician? Sure talk like one. Just whose dick are you sucking?

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Retrosaurus ]

Wow! You edited and ended up with that? What a genius. Don't worry your CC buddies understand how difficult it is to find the correct lithium level! Hang in there and remember even tho you feel better you must still take your meds or else those voices will come back.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Wow! You edited and ended up with that? What a genius. Don't worry your CC buddies understand how difficult it is to find the correct lithium level! Hang in there and remember even tho you feel better you must still take your meds or else those voices will come back.

Not my argument, but your redirection stinks of backpedaling.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:
Let?s say you drove from Bremerton, Portland or BC - a few miles can easily change the viability of a weekend trip dramatically.

First, the dude that drives from PDX is going to hike just as far as the local.

Second, is it really environmentally sound to be driving hundreds of miles every other weekend just for some fun? That seems a little short sighted and selfish to me! Seems like we should be "recreating locally".

Fine, you stay in Boulder, A-hole. And we won't come there. There's no water there anyway and I can't have that.

We're thinking of sending Spiderman down there for a permanent vacation.