Best Colleges for Ice Climbers????

Rickpatbrown

I'm looking for grad school and want to go somewhere with amazing mountains and winter. I am going for a master's degree in Chemistry. Any suggestions?

Montana State is what I've come up with so far. How is Bozeman for living there? I'm not really the tree-hugger type, but I'm not completely adverse to them.

Thanks,

Ricky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has Bozeman become known for tree huggers? There's probably a hippy or two and a few trustafarians but its no Eugene.

How about Utah State or University of Wyoming? I think there's some good schools in Calgary - do they let Americans into college in Canada?

I'm at MSU, couldn't be in a better place. You think bozeman is a bunch of tree huggers? standard fare for a weekend would be driving up into the woods, getting shit wasted, and drunkenly cutting trees down to build massive bonfires. Everyone owns a gun, it ain't no town fulla liberal homos if thats what yer thinkin'.

there's a remarkable number of attractive women in the 20-30 age range, and most of them can outski you with minimal effort. There's even a highschool off 11 ave if that's your thing.

The ice in hyalite is hard to beat, within a hour hike you can climb pretty much anything in the main fork, approaches in flanders and the east fork are a little longer. Most people you meet in the canyon are friendly and will gladly offer you a TR lap if they have a rope up (this could just be climbers in general). plus the routes are fantastic. where did you get your undergrad?

here's a buddy starting off on thrill is gone last weekend, 15 minutes from the car.

396495_3138301934932_1186393944_33426832_66461310_n.jpg

Edited by keenwesh

Forgot to add, Gaines hall (chemistry building) was just remodeled in 2010, brand new facility. I'm not sure about the actual program. I'm in gen chem currently and it's alright, but I'm not sure how it'd be for a grad student. send some emails, or get a biology degree, that department has some smart people heading it.

Washington and oregon have no ice, or at least the small amount there is difficult to access and isn't consistently in. I've been out in hyalite every weekend since the end of october. The drive is 30-40 minutes from town, never hiked more than a hour and a half (east fork) and usually get 5 or 6 pitches in minimum per trip.

In washington I'll read about something being in here on CC, drive for a couple hours, hike for 3 or 4 hours, climb half a pitch of mediocre and scary delaminating ice, and then hike out in the dark. frankly I don't really have fun climbing ice in WA. that route on strawberry mountain in oregon looks awesome though, might have to check that out, but again, not nearly as accessible as the stuff out here.

MSU was cool - except Bozeman has very few good looking girls, has a dude/chick ratio of 55/45. No wonder it's called BROsman. The ice quality, quantity and access was pretty sweet though. Although most employers scoff at a degree from MSU. Was it worth it? Probably...

There are actually alot of dirty hippies though.

You think bozeman is a bunch of tree huggers? standard fare for a weekend would be driving up into the woods, getting shit wasted, and drunkenly cutting trees down to build massive bonfires. Everyone owns a gun, it ain't no town fulla liberal homos if thats what yer thinkin'.

Lol- actually my brother said it's tree-huggers and rednecks. I was trying not to offend anyone that would shoot me. I don't mind making fun of tree-huggers, but drunken men with shotguns should be given a wide berth ;)

Edited by Rickpatbrown

Drep, for undergrad the ratio sucks, kicking it around town though there seems to be a limitless supply of 20 something hotties. For a grad student who wants to ice climb and perhaps get some poon I can't imagine a better place.

undergrad though yeah, 2 new girls showed up in roskie at the semester and there was at least 15 dudes trailing them for at least a week. when guys realized that the cute one had a habit of chewing the crowd of dudes thinned out to around 8.

Not to dis on the girl, she's a very nice lady and one of the coolest chicks around, just gotta be careful before you go in fer a lip lock.

well shit, I guess if you're really desperate and not 35 you can hang out at the frats and fuck the frat sloots. might come down with a acute case of herpes/hep/syphilis/children. at least you'd have tons of brrrrrrooooooss to hit the park with.

you sure about that ratio being throughout bozeman? I guess I don't really check out dudes when I'm walking mainstreet...

If you're passionate about Chem choose the best program you can get into and deal with the 2 years or so it takes to get through. Then you're more likely to get a quality job in a place where you want to live afterward. If you're not passionate about school then you'll be wasting your time and money. Better to find something you are excited about. Life's too short to be chasing the wrong dream.

BTW, UW has a great Chemistry program, not to mention ChemE.