Balance of power

allthumbs

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you guys are all doing a bit too much hand-wringing here. When Clinton had a Demo-controlled Congress he didn't get all the shit he wanted. Congressmen do cross the aisle on votes. There are still strong, vocal Democrats who will voice their opposition, as is their responsibility to do.

Wait and see what the future brings...dead ragheads and reduced tax oppression is what I'm hopin' for!! [Cool]

Greg W

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

I think you guys are all doing a bit too much hand-wringing here. When Clinton had a Demo-controlled Congress he didn't get all the shit he wanted. Congressmen do cross the aisle on votes. There are still strong, vocal Democrats who will voice their opposition, as is their responsibility to do.

Wait and see what the future brings...dead ragheads and reduced tax oppression is what I'm hopin' for!!
[Cool]

Greg W

But what you will get is increased disparity between rich and poor, and ANWR drilling.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

But what you will get is increased disparity between rich and poor, and ANWR drilling.

[Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes] That rich/poor thing is tired old bullshit. We have the richest "poor" in the world. Oh, right, fewer handouts means a greater disparity. I won't bother to comment on ANWR other than to say: DRILL...DRILL...DRILL...DRILL!!! But do it RESPONSIBLY!!!

quote:

quote:

[Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes]

That rich/poor thing is tired old bullshit. We have the richest "poor" in the world. Oh, right, fewer handouts means a greater disparity. I won't bother to comment on ANWR other than to say: DRILL...DRILL...DRILL...DRILL!!! But do it RESPONSIBLY!!!

40% of Americans live below the poverty line.

You do NOT have the richest poor in the world. Sweden does, IIRC. USA ranks I think about 30th, globally, and lowest in the "developed world".

What you DO have is an amazingly rich oligarchy (top 1% of the population has over 50% of total wealth). Thus distorting means significantly away from medians in statistical studies of income and wealth distribution.

There have been good economics articles in this in Scientific American recently. THAT LIBERAL< WISHY WASHY< DEMOCRATIC RAG. THEY SAID CHERNOBYL WAS BAD TOO AND DOUBTED STAR WARS TECHNOLOGY WOULD WORK! [Roll Eyes]

Dru:

Don't despair - the bushies couldn't get ANWR through congress even before Jeffords jumped the fence, so it's not a foregone conclusion they will now.

But you can probably count on continued arrogance (read power exercised without restraint or responsibility) internationally (the dems won't say anything unless something really bad happens to the USA), and continued erosion of civil liberties and expansion of the role of government (the things they all agree on).

Oh - nice troll trask - and I thought I was going to stay out of politics and stick to work and climbing . . .

> > >Subject: Message from the Canadian Foreign Ministry

> > >>

> > >>

> > >> James Gordon October newsletter

> > >>

Press Release: Oct. 7th 02

Statement from the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

In reference to the current world situation, Canadian Foreign Affairs

minister Claude Hopper said today:

"Canadians can no longer sit idly by and watch a warlike dictator

threaten the world and subjugate his people. We have decided,

therefore,

that if U.N. inspectors find evidence of weapons of mass destruction

on

their soil, in seven days Canada will 'liberate' the United States of

America."

Hopper went on to say that "Even though they are killing each

other

with handguns faster than any conquering army could , we feel that a

Canadian invasion is the only action that will save the planet from

the

potential threat of this nation."

Hopper conceded that covert operations have been going on in the

U.S.

for some time, with Canadian agents softening the resolve of their

citizens

by flooding the airwaves with Celine Dion and Shania Twain records.

Canadian Intelligence, ( the C.I.,eh?) has been in training for years,

learning to dress and look like Americans, and Hopper claims that once

the

advance troops have successfully eliminated the annoying linguistic

idiosyncrasy that punctuates the end of their sentences, complete

infiltration will be undetectable.

Hopper predicted that "Within months the

U.S. will have a national health care system, better looking money, an

actual elected leader, they'll be forced to sign the Kyoto Accord, put

back the 'u' in 'neighbor' and they'll be able to keep their violence

contained

within hockey rinks where it belongs.".

[Razz][Wink][laf]

[sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep]

Booooooooooring

We all know that republican and democrat are really the same when it comes down to what actually happens in the capital. The concept of our national system is that of a "do nothing gov't" which is a means of disallowing any 'extreme' action to be taken by the federal gov. So ther is no need to worry. Republican and democratic parties as far s how they really vote and act in tha capatal should just be lumped together as "the moderate party"

But if you ask me the whole Rep/Dem debate is rather tired.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

Greg, that is about the stupidest thing I have heard you say...

Well, fuck you too, Matt. You know, if the poor didn't want to be poor they should have gone to college like I did. Instead they sit at home watching fucking Sally Jesse Rafael and downing Malomars and fried chicken like it's an olympic sport. I am sick of lazy assholes expecting a handout from the government, which in turn comes from my hard work.

Fuck the poor.

Greg W

quote:

40% of Americans live below the poverty line.

You do NOT have the richest poor in the world. Sweden does, IIRC. USA ranks I think about 30th, globally, and lowest in the "developed world".

What you DO have is an amazingly rich oligarchy (top 1% of the population has over 50% of total wealth). Thus distorting means significantly away from medians in statistical studies of income and wealth distribution.

How many of our poor have cable? A car? More than one television?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

Greg, that is about the stupidest thing I have heard you say...

Instead they sit at home watching fucking Sally Jesse Rafael and downing Malomars and fried chicken like it's an olympic sport.

[laf][laf] Hey Greg! You just proved Lambone wrong. Very nifty!

What's a Malomar? [Confused]