Patriot Act on Steroids.

kevbone

http://www.businessinsider.com/secret-bill-to-be-voted-on-today-would-allow-the-military-to-sweep-up-us-citizens-at-home-or-abroad-2011-11

Either Monday or Tuesday the Senate will vote on a bill that allows the US military to imprison civilians with no formal charges and hold them with no trial.

1) Explicitly authorize the federal government to indefinitely imprison without charge or trial American citizens and others picked up inside and outside the United States;

(2) Mandate military detention of some civilians who would other

wise be outside of military control, including civilians picked up within the United States itself.

Seriously....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it any surprise McCain is behind this? Fucking snake.

Brother, how right you are!

From Wikipedia: "In the Greek New Testament, Cain is referred to as (some Greek gobbledygook).[3] In at least one translation this is rendered "from the evil one",[4] while others have "of the evil one."[5] Some interpreters take this to mean that Cain was literally the son of the serpent in the Garden of Eden. A parallel idea can be found in Jewish tradition,[6] that the serpent (Hebrew nahash (hebrew gobbledygook)) from the Garden of Eden was father to firstborn Cain."

Edited by prole

I am surprised FW and KKKKK are not all over this praising it.
Why would anyone praise a proposal such as this? This is ludicrous in the extreme, and I think I would find myself sorry to be an American if it passes. Can a return to Hitler's Third Reich of the early 1930s be very far behind?

My, how far the mighty have fallen... :(

Is it any surprise McCain is behind this? Fucking snake.

Brother, how right you are!

From Wikipedia: "In the Greek New Testament, Cain is referred to as (some Greek gobbledygook).[3] In at least one translation this is rendered "from the evil one",[4] while others have "of the evil one."[5] Some interpreters take this to mean that Cain was literally the son of the serpent in the Garden of Eden. A parallel idea can be found in Jewish tradition,[6] that the serpent (Hebrew nahash (hebrew gobbledygook)) from the Garden of Eden was father to firstborn Cain."

Easy there, fellas... this bill looks to have bipartisan sponsorship to me. So you go on hatin' on McCain, but don't forget to disparage Levin some while you're at it... to be fair an' all, ya know... :)

...Termed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and drafted behind closed doors by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.)...

Anyone who wants to fight this bill can do so here:

Take action here.

but...but...but...that took like 30 seconds of my life to do :)

and the bastards at the aclu won't put my gift of 69 cents on my credit card! :grin:

okay, now i need help de-coding the say-nothing-in-300-words-or-less response i got from cantwell :)

Thank you for contacting me regarding the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) introduced the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 on May 5, 2011. This legislation was passed by the Senate Armed Services Committee by a vote of 26-0 on November 15, 2011. The National Defense Authorization Act is enacted each fiscal year to specify the budget and expenditures of the U.S. Department of Defense.

The National Defense Authorization Act for 2012 includes numerous provisions that relate to the treatment of terrorism detainees. One such provision requires that any detainee caught on U.S. soil must be remanded to the U.S. military for custody. This provision is strongly opposed by the White House and the Department of Defense; both entities have stated that it will limit current options available to our counter-terrorism officials.

However, the legislation also allows the Administration to waive the mandatory custody requirement. The bill also provides for an exemption for any mandatory custody transfer that would interfere with ongoing civilian law enforcement surveillance or interrogation efforts. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts should I have the opportunity to vote on these or similar provisions.

I am profoundly grateful for the service of our brave men and women in the armed services and for the sacrifices they have made to defend and preserve our great nation. As such, we have an important responsibility to ensure that they have the tools and resources they need to successfully complete their mission and return home safe. Please be assured that I will continue to work with my colleagues on behalf of the many soldiers in the state of Washington.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. You may also be interested in signing up for periodic updates for Washington State residents. If you are interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Maria Cantwell

United States Senator