Hey lawyers...

RuMR

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy - If the intended purpose of the parked vehicle is to perform utility work, that would be difficult to prevent them from parking there.

You could write them a letter putting them on notice that they have hurt your feelings and it is your understanding that once the maintenance is done, they will promptly remove the vehicle.

Don't feel too bad, most properties have a utility & maintenance easement somewhere.

Here's my advice: Call a Towing Company and get a form for having the car towed. Put it on his windshield the next time he parks there. This will probably make him angry but cause him to go park elsewhere.

Nobody really wins when a car actually gets towed (except the towing company) so hopefully it doesen't come to that.

Rudy - In my professional experience with easements over the past 20-odd years, it sounds to me like the easement you describe is not an easement that benefits the grantor (your co-worker) anything other than having utility work performed "somewhere" which requires her permission to the grantee (the utility purveyor) the right to ingress and egress her property to get to that same "somewhere." The easement does not extend/grant any rights to Deadbeat Dad (unless of course he works for one of the grantees/utility purveyors and is performing that work while parked there). However, nor does it specifically prevent him from using that same easement, unless it is posted as no trespassing (and that's different law, separate from easement law).

Here's the thing: An easement will state a specific purpose for why the easement is being allowed/required, and who are the grantors (those who give the permission to access) and who are the grantees (those that benefit from that permission) to that easement. From what you've described, it's highly unlikely that Deadbeat Dad is a grantee, but just because a third party is not a grantee, that doesn't necessarily prevent that third party from using the easement (it may be considered trespass, and it may not - is the portion of her property to which the easement applies posted as no trespassing??). I would posit that the use for which Deadbeat Dad is using the easement is not specifically permitted for him, nor is it specifically prohibited. The easement simply doesn't apply to him.

So to me, her recourse does not seem to rest with the easement, since it not an enforceable document upon Deadbeat Dad. This sounds more like a domestic dispute/issue to me. If she really wants him gone, she should go to court and get a TRO and have the bum booted off the property. A TRO would be much more effective and enforceable against him than a utility easement would ever be.

Rudy - In my professional experience with easements over the past 20-odd years, it sounds to me like the easement you describe is not an easement that benefits the grantor (your co-worker) anything other than having utility work performed "somewhere" which requires her permission to the grantee (the utility purveyor) the right to ingress and egress her property to get to that same "somewhere." The easement does not extend/grant any rights to Deadbeat Dad (unless of course he works for one of the grantees/utility purveyors and is performing that work while parked there). However, nor does it specifically prevent him from using that same easement, unless it is posted as no trespassing (and that's different law, separate from easement law).

Here's the thing: An easement will state a specific purpose for why the easement is being allowed/required, and who are the grantors (those who give the permission to access) and who are the grantees (those that benefit from that permission) to that easement. From what you've described, it's highly unlikely that Deadbeat Dad is a grantee, but just because a third party is not a grantee, that doesn't necessarily prevent that third party from using the easement (it may be considered trespass, and it may not - is the portion of her property to which the easement applies posted as no trespassing??). I would posit that the use for which Deadbeat Dad is using the easement is not specifically permitted for him, nor is it specifically prohibited. The easement simply doesn't apply to him.

So to me, her recourse does not seem to rest with the easement, since it not an enforceable document upon Deadbeat Dad. This sounds more like a domestic dispute/issue to me. If she really wants him gone, she should go to court and get a TRO and have the bum booted off the property. A TRO would be much more effective and enforceable against him than a utility easement would ever be.

sounds like you still have the brain turned on and in work mode... it's time for some brewski's Sobo!