Lightest half and twin ropes

danmcph

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We put together a very detailed list of ropes and their weights. There is quite a bit of variation in what a manufacturer is allowed to call their ropes in diameter the UIAA allows for up to a .5mm either on either side. So, a rope maker could sell a 10mm as a 9.5 or a 10.5.

Therefore we have decided that the best way to judge ropes equally is by their grams per meter. It makes for a level playing field.

You can take a look at this chart

Pro Mountain Sports Rope Chart

We stock a pretty wide selection of ropes and have the Monster 7.8 in stock.

FWIW I use and love the Beal Ice twins all winter. I'm on my third set. I figure two maybe three winters. If you climb much 3 is likely pushing them.

Love 'um except when it comes to steep raps like off the Pencil or the Midi bridge...there or places like that they are a little sketchy. New Petzl Reverso helps some though.

But the flip side to that is the they are a pleasure to carry in the alpine.

None if you aren't going to climb with them as halfs / doubles. In Red Rock I use them as twins (always clipped together) and I bought them for use as twins.

People tend to use doubles / halfs when routes wander or they are worried about sharp edges - mostly often the former. I pretty much just use doubles / halfs for routes with sharp edges and because of that I don't use the 7.8's, but rather I bump up to 9.X's.

It should be noted that learning to belay doubles / halfs takes time and some never really master it. It's a pretty advanced skill when its done well and typically an angstfest for the leader when it's not.

Is there a situation where on a multi pitch (or a single pitch) where one would use the ropes as a twin and then switch to double rope technique? Or vice versa?

My old school mentality doesn't see the benefit to having a rope that is rated with multiple uses. Maybe it means you need less ropes in the quiver. Financially, it seems like you can get 2 setups on sale for the same price as a special multi rated overpriced rope.

I suspect the answer to my next question lies in impact force but why can't you use double ropes with twin technique? Seems like when climbing bolted routes, using doubles as twins is OK. Maybe the difference lies in climbing above small nuts.

Is there a situation where on a multi pitch (or a single pitch) where one would use the ropes as a twin and then switch to double rope technique? Or vice versa?

- climbing as a team of 3 on multi or alpine route

- leader leading on both lines; clipping ropes as doubles

- each follower following on 1 of the strands

if the route had a pitch that traversed greatly I would consider switching to clipping both as twins as to minimize potential for a big fall for one of the seconds