Greeks Bearing Gifts....

JayB

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bizarre how Jay's "findings" never result in anything other than the status quo? Amazing stuff!

+1. Everything is just fine the way it is! Conservatism at its finest.

Sorry for spoiling this conversation by introducing data!

IntComparison25-34.gif

Look at us! Down in the mud with...Sweden! Germany - uhhhh..Nevermind! Japan - Ditto!

Is it bizarre how Jay's "findings" never result in anything other than the status quo? Amazing stuff!

IntComparison25-34.gif

Look at us! Down in the mud with...Sweden! Germany - uhhhh..Nevermind! Japan - Ditto!

It's all about emotion. And then insulting the other side.

IntComparison25-34.gif

Look, buddy. Greece has a higher percentage of college graduates than Germany - QED. Mexico has the same percentage of college graduates as Austria.

Q.E. F'ing D.

Questioning

1) if borrowing money for a particar college degree cuts it on a cost/benefit ratio, and

2)potentially considering a trade skill as an alternative-

...is akin to being regressive??

and in what utopia is there no need for people building houses, maintaining infrastructure, repairing plumbing, electricians, cleaning teeth, etc.

and if an 18 year old has no idea what to do with himself, best to shuttle him off to college rather than work 2-3 years and have time to think about the former question before pursuing it- if you think otherwise you're a service tool.

IntComparison25-34.gif

Judging from the chart above, it looks like it's still about dodging questions about equality of access and what that's likely to look like as costs continue to outstrip the ability for many people to pay.

Edited by prole

IntComparison25-34.gif

just dumping data as you usually do is meaningless. Your new plot like the previous ones isn't addressing the increasing disparity in access to higher education between low and high income families that was discussed. The advantage in educated population we had relative to other nations is not only long gone, but is likely bound to get worse now that the middle class is broke, can't borrow anymore (which as you know helped many over the last few decades to get a college education) and now that your types refuse to fund public education appropriately.

I am not very familiar with trade schools but I suspect that a greater fraction of the pop in Europe goes to trade schools than in the US and I don't think trade schools are post high school edu in Europe. As I already said, trade schools can be a reasonable option if they lead to stable and living wage work, which is increasingly doubtful in the little paradise you guys created.

IntComparison25-34.gif

just dumping data as you usually do is meaningless. Your new plot like the previous ones isn't addressing the increasing disparity in access to higher education between low and high income families that was discussed. The advantage in educated population we had relative to other nations is not only long gone, but is likely bound to get worse now that the middle class is broke, can't borrow anymore (which as you know helped many over the last few decades to get a college education) and now that your types refuse to fund public education appropriately.

I am not very familiar with trade schools but I suspect that a greater fraction of the pop in Europe goes to trade schools than in the US and I don't think trade schools are post high school edu in Europe. As I already said, trade schools can be a reasonable option if they lead to stable and living wage work, which is increasingly doubtful in the little paradise you guys created.

1) Access to higher education in the US is comparable to other industrialized nations

2) Nowhere *near* 100% of folks in any country attends postsecondary education by the age of 34

You're not only not so great in your analytical skills, but as a supposed "scientist" you sure seem incapable of understanding the simplest bar-chart.

Oh, yeah, you can always blame your lack of attention on the fact that your hair is on fire.

IntComparison25-34.gif

Now, I'll admit I've been dealing with log-log data and pivot tables all day, so maybe I'm missing something in my ability to decipher a simple bar chart. But HTF did you get 1) income disparity/lack of access, 2)middle class well-being trend data, 3)inaccessabiliy to credit, 4)borrowing trends of students over the last decade as correlated to graduation, 5)proportion of trade school admissions in Europe vs. US, and 6)the trend of trade school graduates vs. inflation-based living wage. I mean, that is just brillant.

Now, I'll admit I've been dealing with log-log data and pivot tables all day, so maybe I'm missing something in my ability to decipher a simple bar chart. But HTF did you get 1) income disparity/lack of access?

You don't, and that's the point.

1) Access to higher education in the US is comparable to other industrialized nations

2) Nowhere *near* 100% of folks in any country attends postsecondary education by the age of 34

You're not only not so great in your analytical skills, but as a supposed "scientist" you sure seem incapable of understanding the simplest bar-chart.

Oh, yeah, you can always blame your lack of attention on the fact that your hair is on fire.

I know you are dense but please pay attention:

how would the US compare if the middle class hadn't gone into debt to pay for education over the last 30 years?

how will the US compare now that edu costs have gone through the roof, the middle class is disappearing before our very eyes, and you keep spending all the money on wars and tax cuts for the uber rich and corporations (sucker)? and when you consider that in many countries education costs are much lower? (if you need a clue compare health care, and see how many people go without health care in the US versus other industrialized nations)

If the above applies to the middle class, what does it mean for low income families?

Now, I'll admit I've been dealing with log-log data and pivot tables all day, so maybe I'm missing something in my ability to decipher a simple bar chart. But HTF did you get 1) income disparity/lack of access?

No shit. JayB illustrates a specific point A with a graph. Resident hand waver brings up Points C, D, M, Q, and R - w/o any reference to anything. Other than proving another hair fire it's vacant. Cheers - going home to pack up the skis for the weekend BC trip. :brew:

Now, I'll admit I've been dealing with log-log data and pivot tables all day, so maybe I'm missing something in my ability to decipher a simple bar chart. But HTF did you get 1) income disparity/lack of access,

something is clearly affecting your reading ability, but it isn't just today.

2)middle class well-being trend data, 3)inaccessabiliy to credit, 4)borrowing trends of students over the last decade as correlated to graduation,

you mean that you don't see how the well being of the middle class and the ability to secure funds to pay for school is related to the number of people who get college education? hmmm, I am not sure how I can help and whether it is worth my while to try.

5)proportion of trade school admissions in Europe vs. US, and 6)the trend of trade school graduates vs. inflation-based living wage.

trades school in the US are pretty much exclusively post-high school education whereas many aren't in Europe. So being aware of it helps compare the data with a little more understanding. Or at least, it ought to be clarified.

I mean, that is just brillant.

well, thank you. But, is that all the comments you had? or do you consider your post a demonstration of anything beside your shortcomings?

Edited by j_b

No shit. JayB illustrates a specific point A with a graph.

Bullshit. JayB dropped a graph that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand and made a snarky remark without attempting to tell us what it meant in context. Your failure to understand the argument isn't my problem.

I love how prole essentially made exactly the same points I did in a couple posts above (except for trade schools), yet jim doesn't have any problem with it. Too funny. The dude seems to be developing a phobia.

Edited by j_b

No shit. JayB illustrates a specific point A with a graph. Resident hand waver brings up Points C, D, M, Q, and R - w/o any reference to anything. Other than proving another hair fire it's vacant. Cheers - going home to pack up the skis for the weekend BC trip. :brew:

Amen.

I'm packing as well. Too bad j-bot and prole don't climb or ski - it might do them some good.

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying. Great "analytical skills".

Here's a clue - when people (or internet bots) are constantly harping on how their hair is on fire and the crisis is at hand signifies imminent disaster, the response will typically be to debunk that bullshit.

Um, that IS what you and Jay are saying, and the charts you keep posting -- you are saying that there is no problem, and that things are fine the way they are.

Am I wrong? Then tell us, what problems do you see regarding public postsecondary education and its access in the U.S. -- because it sounds like you and Jay keep defending that the current system is just fine. After all, we're "no worse than any other industrialized nation."

When you go come over the rise and get the first look at the average Australian town you often see a beautiful school building with sport fields, satellite dishes and well kept grounds. You think, "they're really doing education up right here." Only that's the town's sport club which is the HQ for all the town's sports, gambling, politics, and liquor distribution. You don't get elected or get a liquor license in town if you're not part of the sports club. The high school? Oh, that's a crumbling shamble over in the other part of town.

And they're a solid point ahead of us? And that's ok? Good luck with that...