No flypaper zone--Libya major/minor

Lucky Larry

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is your libtard outrage that the US is bombing another country? If an R were in the White House...a D is in the Whitehouse, so the volumes of shrill "outrage" is well, pretty much absent here...Many of the reasons given to oppose Bush's wars are true in this case as well. Or did you folks just not mean it?...if this happened under Bush all the libtards here would be completely irate, and you know it.

Ralph Nader agrees with you.

Nader, Kucinich call Libya action "impeachable"

[video:youtube]

Outspoken critics on the left are raising hell over the Obama administration's authorization of military force in Libya, calling it "unconstitutional." Former presidential candidate Ralph Nader recently rattled off a list of U.S. military and intelligence directives -- apparently including action in Libya -- that he views as egregious violations of international law and grounds for impeachment:

Why don't we say what's on the minds of many legal experts; that the Obama administration is committing war crimes and if Bush should have been impeached, Obama should be impeached.

Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich made a similar statement today. In particular, Kucinich castigated Obama for pursuing military intervention in Libya without congressional authorization:

President Obama moved forward without Congress approving. He didn't have Congressional authorization, he has gone against the Constitution, and that's got to be said. It's not even disputable, this isn't even a close question. Such an action ... is a grave decision that cannot be made by the president alone.

Kucinich's and Nader's arguments against the constitutionality of Obama's authorization of force are based on an interpretation of the War Power Act. Passed by Congress in 1973 -- after a decade-long quagmire in Vietnam -- the legislation requires the president to inform Congress within 48 hours of any U.S. military attack where national security is not at stake. President Obama submitted such a letter to House Speaker John Boehner today. Beyond that, the Act mandates that the commander in chief seek congressional approval after 60 days of military action.

Nice video, thanks for the link. I agree that there is seemingly little difference between the Obama and Bush foreign policy. At least, functionally. But, I was under the impression you agreed with Bush foreign policy? Does that mean you agree with Obama's, too?

Nice video, thanks for the link. I agree that there is seemingly little difference between the Obama and Bush foreign policy. At least, functionally. But, I was under the impression you agreed with Bush foreign policy? Does that mean you agree with Obama's, too?

fuck, 2012 is gonna be great isn't it? Can't wait to fucking vote. :rolleyes:

read the book i quoted the intro to above - "savage wars of peace" - yeah, uh, there's really never been a moment in our country's history when we wereN'T getting militarily involved in our neighbors affairs

how long did it take liberals to turn on lbj kk? not long, but the context did matter. so far this thign can't hold much of a candle to past bullshit.

[video:youtube]

What happened to the anti-war movement? Well, right now they're probably more afraid of the insane clown posse that is American conservatism than they are of Obama. Rightfully so. Got some housecleanin' to do, don'tcha?

Good video Jay...damn libertarians....

I'm convinced that the big issue of our day, of this century or more, is our lack of an energy policy and massive federal government overspending. Until we knuckle down and get it together, we will be flirting off into these forays to places like Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan to keep the juice turned on.

Unfortunately.

Utilization and exploitation of energy is the number one factor of what defines a high tech, wealthy nation state. As oil disappears, we will become even more like a bunch of fish swimming in a ever decreasing pool of water, and I'm convinced that it won't be pretty. The only choice will be do we do it before it bitch slaps the entire country upside the head, or not.

As individuals, investing in gold, oil and other commodities, real estate and hedge funds that short Treasury bonds may be the only thing we can do to survive this coming financial debacle caused by the energy shortage and this massive federal spending craze. Gold is overpriced (vis a vis what it takes to get it out of the dirt), commodities are looking like Tulipmania in Holland, and houses are in the middle of a big dive. We're fucked.

What the hell is left? Invest in climbing gear? See the price of ropes heading up? Who called that ? (hand raised here)

Good luck my brobahams!

Mostly.

I'm convinced that the big issue of our day, of this century or more, is our lack of an energy policy and massive federal government overspending. Until we knuckle down and get it together, we will be flirting off into these forays to places like Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan to keep the juice turned on.

Unfortunately.

Utilization and exploitation of energy is the number one factor of what defines a high tech, wealthy nation state. As oil disappears, we will become even more like a bunch of fish swimming in a ever decreasing pool of water, and I'm convinced that it won't be pretty. The only choice will be do we do it before it bitch slaps the entire country upside the head, or not.

As individuals, investing in gold, oil and other commodities, real estate and hedge funds that short Treasury bonds may be the only thing we can do to survive this coming financial debacle caused by the energy shortage and this massive federal spending craze. Gold is overpriced (vis a vis what it takes to get it out of the dirt), commodities are looking like Tulipmania in Holland, and houses are in the middle of a big dive. We're fucked.

What the hell is left? Invest in climbing gear? See the price of ropes heading up? Who called that ? (hand raised here)

Good luck my brobahams!

Don't think we'll see the second coming of Weimar-style inflation but negative real rates and quantitative easing = consistent inflationary pressures on most commodities.

Had this discussion with a good friend the other day. Tough to hedge as a little guy without trading costs eating up any gains.

Pretty much all you can do is minimize debt and stay liquid. Lots of scary downside risks in just about anything you can hedge in.

People with local knowledge of which neighborhoods have upside potential and lots of cash could find a haven in busted real estate markets that are waaaay into the cash-flow positive zone.

Unfortunately.

Good luck my brobahams!

Don't think we'll see the second coming of Weimar-style inflation but negative real rates and quantitative easing = consistent inflationary pressures on most commodities.

Had this discussion with a good friend the other day. Tough to hedge as a little guy without trading costs eating up any gains.

Pretty much all you can do is minimize debt and stay liquid. Lots of scary downside risks in just about anything you can hedge in.

People with local knowledge of which neighborhoods have upside potential and lots of cash could find a haven in busted real estate markets that are waaaay into the cash-flow positive zone.

Good friggin' question! I guess it depends on how old you are and what your comfort level is regarding our crawl towards energy crunch time. 15 yrs? 30 yrs? Stuffing it in the mattress seems premature but the alternative.....?

What happened to the anti-war movement? Like for most every major issue, the will of the people has been denied by corporatist elites via every single undemocratic trickery in the book (propaganda, election theft, campaign lies, etc ..) and people have moved on to other grave matters following the fiasco created by Laissez Faire zealots. JayB is apparently proud of all of it as he again seems to take immense pleasure in showing how popular will has been defeated.

Both JayB and Billcoe's advice are instructive as to exactly what not to do right now.

I'm on the phone on hold to my broker right now. Betting the farm that treasury bill interest rates will rise. Yes, you should do the reverse and go long on T-bills with every nickel you have.

Whew....rolling the dice here. Risky business.....

Edited by billcoe