[TR] Sloan Peak - Corkscrew in Winter 2/21/2010

Tom_Sjolseth

Trip: Sloan Peak - Corkscrew Route in Winter

Date: 2/21/2010

Trip Report:

cmurph and I hooked up for a great climb up Sloan Peak last winter.

We left Seattle at 5:30AM, Saturday morning under clear skies. The forecast called for nice weather through the weekend, despite predicting 15-20mph E winds at 6,000'.

After a little bit of trouble finding the TH, we eventually were able to drive road 4096 to 2800' before being stopped by a fallen tree blocking the road. It was only 1/4 mile to the TH from here, so we were delighted to get so far in the middle of February!

The trail is snow free until about 3100', where intermittent patches of ice and snow appear. The trail follows Bedal Creek and, before crossing the creek, we headed uphill due E at ~3600'. From here, the way is cross-country. We followed a basin to a ridge and followed it to the saddle below Pt 5330, between Bedal and Sloan Peaks. Along the traverse to the saddle, the snow was quite deep (knee-deep in places), and sloppy in the mid-day sun. It took us a lot of effort to gain the saddle, where we stopped and ate lunch overlooking Glacier Peak and its neighbors.

From our lunch spot, we trudged on in knee-deep powder to ~6100' where we decided to set up camp. The views from camp were spectacular. We were able to see Big 4, Vesper/Sperry, Pugh, Whitechuck, Glacier, and many more.

Since we arrived so early (2PM), we spent some leisure time around camp, melting snow, eating, taking photos, and enjoying the views. The sun went into hiding at around 4PM, at which time we retreated to the tent and layed low. After eating some more, we retired for the night and welcomed the 12 hours of sleep we were about to endure.

We awoke the next morning at 5:30AM and slowly began to stir. After about 2 hours of remarking about how cold it was and eating and rehydrating, we decided to start moving up towards the start of the route. Still, the snow was deep, despite cold temps trying to firm the previous day's sun crust up. Much of the way across the glacier was in calf-deep snow. It took us quite a while to cross the glacier in these conditions, but we finally found the bottom of the ramp at ~9AM.

From the bottom of the ramp, the route traverses steep slopes (to 50 degrees), before ascending a steep gully to the ridge crest. The exposure was big, and looking down we could see cliffs drop away 500' or more. The snow was perfectly stable and good for self-belays, soft enough so you could plunge an axe, but firm enough so you could get good footing. We felt good about the conditions.

We arrived at the notch above the S Face (~7500') and saw the remainder of the way to the summit. It was more steep snow climbing. We made quick work of this and gained the summit ridge among cornices and rime ice. The final bit to the summit was exposed, but offered great views to the surrounding peaks.

We spent a good half hour on the windless summit, eating, drinking, taking more photos, admiring the spectacular views, and reflecting on a great climb. These views were some of the best I have ever seen! Truly remarkable, I hope the photos can do it justice.

Back to the car just after dark.

I just want to congratulate cmurph on being such a trooper. She has not done much technical winter climbing before, and she really did an awesome job this weekend on an ambitious and rarely-climbed winter objective.

IMG_1820_resize.JPG

Sloan Peak on the approach, just below camp.

IMG_1821_resize.JPG

Bedal Peak.

IMG_1826_resize.JPG

cmurph on the approach.

IMG_1828_resize.JPG

Sloan Peak as seen from camp at ~6100'.

000001.JPG

Glacier Peak as seen from inside the tent. Photo by cmurph.

IMG_1831_resize.JPG

At camp.

IMG_1839_resize.JPG

Sunset from camp.

IMG_1844_resize.JPG

Alpenglow on Glacier Peak.

IMG_1848_resize.JPG

Bedal, Pugh, and Whitechuck in morning alpenglow.

IMG_1849_resize.JPG

Morning light.

IMG_1852_resize.JPG

Sloan Peak from camp this morning.

IMG_1854_resize.JPG

Morning traverse across the glacier.

000010.JPG

A look up at Sloan Peak on the climb. Photo by cmurph.

000007.JPG

Me traversing into the sunlight. Photo by cmurph.

000002.JPG

Still traversing. Photo by cmurph.

IMG_1860_resize.JPG

More views!

IMG_1861_resize.JPG

cmurph heading up the glacier.

IMG_1864_resize.JPG

cmurph in front of the Monte Cristo group at the col.

IMG_1866_resize.JPG

The Monte Cristo group from the col.

IMG_1867_resize.JPG

The traverse across the ramp.

IMG_1870_resize.JPG

cmurph traversing.

IMG_1871_resize.JPG

More traversing.

IMG_1878_resize.JPG

And more.

IMG_1882_resize.JPG

cmurph traversing steep snow on the ramp.

IMG_1884_resize.JPG

A look ahead.

IMG_1888_resize.JPG

All smiles on the way up Sloan Peak.

000003.JPG

Climbing through a constriction near the notch. Photo by cmurph.

IMG_1890_resize.JPG

All smiles still?

IMG_1892_resize.JPG

Nearing the col at the top of the gully.

000004.JPG

Looking down from the notch. Photo by cmurph.

IMG_1894_resize.JPG

A gendarme on the summit ridge.

IMG_1895_resize.JPG

A look towards Stuart and Daniel from the col.

IMG_1896_resize.JPG

Steep rock.

000006.JPG

The summit amphitheater. Photo by cmurph.

000005.JPG

Me just below the summit. Photo by cmurph.

IMG_1899_resize.JPG

A look down at cmurph nearing the summit.

000008.JPG

Me on the summit. Photo by cmurph.

IMG_1915_resize.JPG

The views to the W from the summit of Sloan Peak.

IMG_1918_resize.JPG

Summit shot!

IMG_1919_resize.JPG

More summit views.

000009.JPG

Traversing back towards the col on the descent. Photo by cmurph.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick, I'm sure it could be skied, but not by me. I think with one rap the rest of it would ski nicely.

Powerdhound, sorry, no pics of the W Face. That's about the only side of the mountain we didn't see. Not that it would help you a year later.

Just trying to get another photo from a different month of winter of that face, thanks for checking.

Mick, I'm sure it could be skied, but not by me. I think with one rap the rest of it would ski nicely.

Powerdhound, sorry, no pics of the W Face. That's about the only side of the mountain we didn't see. Not that it would help you a year later.

If you came up Bedal Creek you had to see it. Come on Tom.. make with the photos! :wazup::laf: :laf: