Race to the bottom

glassgowkiss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone has the skills, the education, etc to start out at the top of the career ladder, or get back on it at a place that constitutes what their betters would deem an acceptable job for them.

Things like establishing an employment history, good work habits, the ability to cope with stressful on-the-job situations and difficult co-workers without losing it, how to interact with customers, etc, etc, etc are all important factors that do quite a bit to help people move towards economic self sufficiency, and are usually a necessary - though not sufficient - part of getting better, higher paying jobs later.

They're doing themselves and society a favor by choosing to work, even in these entry level positions, as are the people who employ them. Good for them.

Not everyone has the skills, the education, etc to start out at the top of the career ladder, or get back on it at a place that constitutes what their betters would deem an acceptable job for them.

Things like establishing an employment history, good work habits, the ability to cope with stressful on-the-job situations and difficult co-workers without losing it, how to interact with customers, etc, etc, etc are all important factors that do quite a bit to help people move towards economic self sufficiency, and are usually a necessary - though not sufficient - part of getting better, higher paying jobs later.

They're doing themselves and society a favor by choosing to work, even in these entry level positions, as are the people who employ them. Good for them.

no people who flip hamburgers should get paid the same as ceo's, it's that simple :)

Looks to me like republifux want uneducated and uninformed society, so they can shove every piece of shit down people throats. Cutting funding for education, cutting funding for NPR are just the moves to ensure that. 20 years ago this country stood for something, now it stands for fuck all. I think if 400 people own as much wealth as other 150 millions I think things are bit out of whack.

of course having a shit job when you're a teenager is important - that's not what the article was getting at though - it's that there's nowhere to go PAST the shit job

or one could go buy a gym membership and get in badass shape, get a job as a stripper and make bank. and instead of blowing the money you earned on cocaine, build a corporate empire and pay ur employees badass salaries. :) :) :)

I think your carrier as a male stripper would be as short as your dinky cock.

You don't do much hiring Jay, do you?

Shit, spend some time on linkedin looking at the various economic prospects of "the unfortunate" plenty of people who worked decent jobs before who are now finding "creative" employment because the dipshits in HR can't figure out their head from their asshole

no people who flip hamburgers should get paid the same as ceo's, it's that simple :)

no one thinks that - there must be a "sweet spot" though where the burger flipper earns enough to keep the ceo's throat from being slit in the middle of the night by hopeless, busted-broke peons

no one thinks that - there must be a "sweet spot" though where the burger flipper earns enough to keep the ceo's throat from being slit in the middle of the night by hopeless, busted-broke peons

the amazing thing is how structured even peon positions have now become. McDonalds wants experience.

or one could go buy a gym membership and get in badass shape, get a job as a stripper and make bank. and instead of blowing the money you earned on cocaine, build a corporate empire and pay ur employees badass salaries. :) :) :)

my dinky cock = ur lame soundtracks

truth hurts, your mom told me, douchenozzle. need a tissue?

Looks to me like republifux want uneducated and uninformed society, so they can shove every piece of shit down people throats. Cutting funding for education, cutting funding for NPR are just the moves to ensure that. 20 years ago this country stood for something, now it stands for fuck all. I think if 400 people own as much wealth as other 150 millions I think things are bit out of whack.

Well said.

Well said.

except that now isn't really that much different from 20 or 30 years ago - i don't think reagan really gave a fuck about poor people either, nor did nixon - the last republican who seemed particularily concerned about anythign othe rthan making the rich richer was....uh...maybe eisenhower?

truth hurts, your mom told me, douchenozzle. need a tissue?

i love when euros try their hand at humor :)

Some long term out of work 50+ yo professional in devastated sectors like construction would love to have a word with nincompoops like JayB. That's about as nicely as I can put it.

My first job out of college, after double majoring in Biochem and History, and adding a minor in Chemistry was working as a substitute graveyard shift janitor at a middle school. As one of my friends put it "Dude, that's just one step up from substitute crack-ho." I got a job at an investment company ~3 months later. When it was clear that I wanted to do something else, I did everything from painting to stacking semi-loads of hay-bales at a horse farm to try to save enough for the transition.

When I bailed out of that job a few years later and moved into the life sciences, the best I could do was power-washing kaka and urine and various related tasks at Hutch's underground beagle colony. When that job ended it was light-assembly, then a brief stint at REI - then a job at an imploding biotech start up doing ordering, stocking, and making buffers for waaay less than minimum wage with no benefits of any kind. They were short handed and could see that I was capable of doing quite a bit more, and within a few months I was working on my own project and using every bit of education and training I had, and apparently impressed one of the board members enough for him to immediately offer me a job at his operation when the startup finally imploded. Or maybe the head of the imploding company pulled a bunch of strings and called in a few favors on my behalf. Who knows. That finally got me to a point where I had enough skills and experience to be fairly employable in my new field.

At the very least sometimes working unpleasant jobs that are way below what you are qualified for can keep you afloat long enough to get your foot in the door at the right place.