Mass transit

tvashtarkatena

Interesting piece regarding mass transit in DC. Property values within walking distance of DC's excellent metro system have gone up 40 to 300%, while suburban properties around the city have actually gone down during the same period.

Apparently, the Invisible Hand recognizes the value in speed, convenience, cost, and the positive effect on vibrant growth of mass transit.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when transportation to and from the burbs costs you more than your mortgage, it's naturally reflected in property values. But as long as "free market" zealots keep subsidizing the highway lobby, and prevent public investment in mass transit don't expect that reality to be reflected in the planning of our communities and transportation schemes.

I read somewhere that the average cost of owning a car is ~10k/year.

That's in the ball park. Another consideration is this: providing affordable transportation for low income folks to get to work...you know, so they don't have to suck off the gubmint tit. You'll never hear a Righty mention this moral (and potentially expensive) aspect of the equation.

Interesting piece regarding mass transit in DC. Property values within walking distance of DC's excellent metro system have gone up 40 to 300%, while suburban properties around the city have actually gone down during the same period.

Apparently, the Invisible Hand recognizes the value in speed, convenience, cost, and the positive effect on vibrant growth of mass transit.

is there where you should fully disclose your many investments in bullet train technologies? :)

one of my angriest moments in life was in a d.c. metro station - never will forget the very calm employee who chilled my ass out by simply giving me a quarter :grin:

Having worked in DC for several years I gotta agree on the efficiency of the Metro - with an exception. A chicken or egg thing - but if you are in a "better" neighborhood you are more likely near a metro station than not. If not, then you're on the Byzantine bus route schedules, which are a myrid of leftover routes from a gazillion different private lines. Quite a contrast in riders going from metro to bus.

Going back for a week for meetings and a conference - looking forward to visiting the o' Adams Morgan hood, hanging w/friends, and eating some good food.

Had an old car in D.C. Used to leave it parked unless heading out of the city and used the bike - fastest way to get around by far. The kids stole the standard radio out of my '73 bug and once there were footprints up the hood, on the roof, and down the back. But some good Samaritian did plug up my gas line that popped off with a stick - rather than torch it.

Very interesting city and with a sharp contrast between the haves and have-nots.

This is great news for all of the poor people who can afford to buy property in the expensive neighborhoods that sit adjacent to rail-based transit lines!

Yeah, low income folks who can't live within walking distance of mass transit get zero benefit from it, right?

Pretty much on par with the rest of your...ehm...logic.

It's awesome to see those McMansion values fall through their own assholes, just so their guilded residents don't have to see any black people.

wow...who crapped in yer cornflakes?

Kind reminds me an experience I had in Bolivia. Out in the middle of nowhere, which isn't hard to find in Bolivia, on a rickety old school bus. Bus breaks down. Some people start walking. Some stay help the driver repair the bus. The repair is successful. It was a loooonnnng walk for the former group.

You want a decent society? Pitch in. Wanna go at it alone? Fuck you.

One city that seems to integrate various public transport systems is SF, particularly given its funky geography.

Which is awesome, cuz having a car there is a nightmare.

easily my most enjoyable automotive fuckup was there - drove several blocks down a one way street in the fisherman's wharf area in a shitty rental car, drink in hand, cigarette in mouth, smiling n' waving at pissed off tourists going the other way, confused as hell - couldn't have been more thompson w/o actually going to vegas :rawk:

Edited by ivan

You driving in SF is like you attending an Evangelical Women's Vegan Temperance Conference and trying not to piss anyone off.

you'd be surprised what i can pull off :)

on a related note, san francisco also has the finest church buildering i've ever enjoyed :grin:

You driving in SF is like you attending an Evangelical Women's Vegan Temperance Conference and trying not to piss anyone off.

you'd be surprised what i can pull off :)

on a related note, san francisco also has the finest church buildering i've ever enjoyed :grin:

Why such Godless country even bothers with churches I'll never know.