It's Only Rhetoric

ZimZam

Well, PP wasn't far off the mark when he said "You're simply spewing spurious hyperbole" since that was more or less what I was doing. I doubt Sarah understands what she was saying, though her speech writer should have known better. I doubt she's a very focused anti-Semite, though it's possible she has a generalized distrust of "those" people. Fact is she's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. Still, as a rather evangelical Christian, she's likely familiar with the term.

If Alan Dershowitz trivializes the the use of the term "blood libel" it doesn't mean the concept is actually reduced to just any untruth. It has been literally used as the justification for executing and persecuting Jews for centuries. People bantering on the internet about who's a Nazi doesn't discount the real horror at the core of the term either.

What I don't quite get is why anyone is listening to Palin anyway. She's not an elected official, she quit the only significant post she's held in her life, she's a failed reality show star, why don't we just ask Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan what they think about the shootings in Arizona?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't quite get is why anyone is listening to Palin anyway. She's not an elected official, she quit the only significant post she's held in her life, she's a failed reality show star,

You forgot the most important point - she's a LOSER. And Americans don't like losers. She's as likely to win a presidential bid as Al Gore or John Kerry - two other recent losers.

Well, PP wasn't far off the mark when he said "You're simply spewing spurious hyperbole" since that was more or less what I was doing. I doubt Sarah understands what she was saying, though her speech writer should have known better. I doubt she's a very focused anti-Semite, though it's possible she has a generalized distrust of "those" people. Fact is she's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. Still, as a rather evangelical Christian, she's likely familiar with the term.

If Alan Dershowitz trivializes the the use of the term "blood libel" it doesn't mean the concept is actually reduced to just any untruth. It has been literally used as the justification for executing and persecuting Jews for centuries. People bantering on the internet about who's a Nazi doesn't discount the real horror at the core of the term either.

What I don't quite get is why anyone is listening to Palin anyway. She's not an elected official, she quit the only significant post she's held in her life, she's a failed reality show star, why don't we just ask Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan what they think about the shootings in Arizona?

The term 'blood libel' is so unusual that I simply can't believe it wasn't employed purposefully. Anti semitism and anti liberalism typically go hand in hand (ZOG and all that rot). I believe Palin is not only a sociopath, but a fascist in more literal ways than her apologists even realize.

Most Americans don't listen to her, but when she's continually splashed all over the front page of the NYT (in addition to having her speeches reposted word for word by certain Spraydiots here instead of just providing a link), she's kind of hard to avoid.

Like Off, while rewatching (guh) her speech I was struck (apart from the fact that she seems to be speaking to toddlers) again by the deep mystery as to who the fuck she thinks she is. She's going "link arms with Obama"? Who the fuck is she? She has clawed and scratched and insinuated herself way into some kind of pop-politico celebrity with absolutely no apparent real political or governing skills whatsoever apart from her ability to claw, scratch, etc. into our fields of vision. "Attention Whore" doesn't even begin to cover it. I know this is all ground that's been covered, but damn, it's really disturbing.

She's the de facto spokesperson for the tea baggers, a major, pseudo fascist political movement. Whether or not tea bagger leaders agree with that claim is, for the most part, irrelevant.

Can anyone else name anyone else in the tea bagger leadership that even comes close to the influence Palin has?

Congratulations, Baggers! Nice hire!

The defacto spokesperson for the Democratic party:

Sandra Bernhard issues 'gang rape' warning to Sarah Palin

BY Tracy Miller

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, September 19th 2008, 12:58 PM

Sandra Bernhard

Walker/Getty/Getty Images

Sandra Bernhard

Related Articles

Sandra Bernhard issued a blistering warning to Sarah Palin during a performance of her new one-woman show.

The Republican V.P. nom would be "gang-raped by my big black brothers" if she enters Manhattan, Bernhard said. Palin is said to be making a campaign stop in New York next week.

"[The gang rape comment] is part of a much larger, nuanced, and yes, provocative (that's what I do) piece from my show about racism, freedom, women's rights and the extreme views of Governor Sarah Palin, a woman who doesn't believe that other women should have the right to choose," Bernhard told the Daily News today.

"Women deserve better," she continued. "I certainly wish Governor Palin no harm. I'd just like her to explain to me how she can hold such outrageous views - and then go back to Alaska."

The controversial comedian targets Palin as part of her "Without You I'm Nothing" stage show this month at Washington, D.C.'s Theater J.

"Now you've got Uncle women like Sarah Palin who jumps in this s*** and points her fingers at other women," Bernhard says, before launching into the several minutes' long diatribe against Palin, calling her a "turncoat b***".

"Call the s*** in and tell them what I said tonight," she says, to laughs and cheers from the audience.

Bernhard isn't the only celeb to speak out against Palin. Pamela Anderson, Lindsay Lohan, Matt Damon and Pink have all expressed their disdain for the Alaskan Governor.

Damon called her candidacy "a really scary thing," telling CBS News, "I think the pick was made for political purposes, but in terms of governance it's a disaster.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/09/19/2008-09-19_sandra_bernhard_issues_gang_rape_warning-2.html

The defacto spokesperson for the Democratic party:

Sandra Bernhard issues 'gang rape' warning to Sarah Palin

BY Tracy Miller

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, September 19th 2008, 12:58 PM

Sandra Bernhard

Walker/Getty/Getty Images

Sandra Bernhard

Related Articles

Sandra Bernhard issued a blistering warning to Sarah Palin during a performance of her new one-woman show.

The Republican V.P. nom would be "gang-raped by my big black brothers" if she enters Manhattan, Bernhard said. Palin is said to be making a campaign stop in New York next week.

"[The gang rape comment] is part of a much larger, nuanced, and yes, provocative (that's what I do) piece from my show about racism, freedom, women's rights and the extreme views of Governor Sarah Palin, a woman who doesn't believe that other women should have the right to choose," Bernhard told the Daily News today.

"Women deserve better," she continued. "I certainly wish Governor Palin no harm. I'd just like her to explain to me how she can hold such outrageous views - and then go back to Alaska."

The controversial comedian targets Palin as part of her "Without You I'm Nothing" stage show this month at Washington, D.C.'s Theater J.

"Now you've got Uncle women like Sarah Palin who jumps in this s*** and points her fingers at other women," Bernhard says, before launching into the several minutes' long diatribe against Palin, calling her a "turncoat b***".

"Call the s*** in and tell them what I said tonight," she says, to laughs and cheers from the audience.

Bernhard isn't the only celeb to speak out against Palin. Pamela Anderson, Lindsay Lohan, Matt Damon and Pink have all expressed their disdain for the Alaskan Governor.

Damon called her candidacy "a really scary thing," telling CBS News, "I think the pick was made for political purposes, but in terms of governance it's a disaster.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/09/19/2008-09-19_sandra_bernhard_issues_gang_rape_warning-2.html

Sandra sounds like a real sociopath. She'd get along great with TTK.

And sorry, I'm not buying the idea that "true conservatives" really hate Palin. In the wake of the hardships their policies have caused the working and middle class members of their base, she (and the kind of rhetoric she uses) is the only thing that's keeping the GOP viable at the ballot box. This is partly what makes Ailes' entreaty to commentators to abandon bombast and "make your arguments intellectually" so laughable. If they could, they already would. The other part is that, even at their best, "intellectual conservatives'" reason for being is to make dumb ideas sound smart. But by gutting education, philosophy, humanities, etc. while pushing anti-intellectual rhetoric, Americans are no longer capable of responding to those arguments. Quite a hole they've dug themselves and part of the reason why conservatives are unlikely to back down from a "don't retreat, reload" position.

And sorry, I'm not buying the idea that "true conservatives" really hate Palin. In the wake of the hardships their policies have caused the working and middle class members of their base, she (and the kind of rhetoric she uses) is the only thing that's keeping the GOP viable at the ballot box. This is partly what makes Ailes' entreaty to commentators to abandon bombast and "make your arguments intellectually" so laughable. If they could, they already would. The other part is that, even at their best, "intellectual conservatives'" reason for being is to make dumb ideas sound smart. By gutting education, philosophy, humanities, etc. while pushing anti-intellectual rhetoric, Americans are no longer capable of responding to those arguments. Quite a hole they've dug themselves and part of the reason why conservatives are unlikely to back down from a "don't retreat, reload" position.

I disagree that 'intellectual conservatives' are on board with Palin's agenda...it's just that such conservatives are, for all intents and purposes, long extinct.

The GOP, in its 'party of the big tent' philosophy, ie, 'we'll take anybody, not matter how insane or violent', the party has long since lost its core values.

Can any Rfucks here actually state what the party's core values are these days? Help me out here.

The Democratic parties core values have always been easily summarized and have remained essentially unchanged, in contrast: the boring, middle class values of fairness, compassion for those less fortunate, educational opportunities for all, and social liberalism (not carrying what the gays next door are doing on a Saturday night), and separation of church and state.

Conservatism through its history is really more of a tidal reactionary movement than a philosophy with a coherent tradition or core set of values. Jay_B's liberalism is what provides that cohesion in America's brand of conservatism. One need only look to the most recent luminary, William F. Buckley's arguments during the Civil Rights era, support for McCarthyism, and rightwing dictatorship to understand that, even at its best, intellectualism in the conservative mold is simply window dressing for the maintenance of privilege and thuggery.

Edited by prole

I'm more of a Sarah Silverman kind of guy, but Sandra is awesome as well.

There are guys who go for smart, funny, irreverent women, and guys who can't handle that kind of thing.

Gang-rape is always smart and funny, right?

Democrat violent rhetoric = Smart and funny

Republican violent rhetoric - Mui Mal!

There are guys who go for smart, funny, irreverent women, and guys who can't handle that kind of thing.

UM, Sandra is an comedian, not a politician or political pundit. That you're calling her a Democrat highlights the complete lack of GOP condemnation of Palin's lunacy. Both side should be condemning Palin's antics. Only one side is, however. Palin's a vote getter...sociopathy and fascism are apparently OK with the GOP as long as they get some votes.

And yes, that statement when applied to Ms. Palin is funny.

It's classic political satire - turning Palin's brand of bullshit back on her. I realize that such parody isn't picked up by people afflicted with conservative brain syndrome, however. I'm just glad I don't have to spend my life walking down that narrow, poorly lit intellectual corridor.

Oh, and you can do your own googling on cop killer bullets, you fucking lump.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Exactly. What else would you expect from a sociopathological kook like ttk?

I'm not a Republican nor do I care what Palin says or does. I'm just happy to point out your hypocrisy and thn rub your noes in it. I get all of my Sarah Palin and Fox news updates from you as it seems that you hang on their every word and then repeat them ad nauseum.