Supreme Microsoft Douchery

tvashtarkatena

I never use Explorer cuz it blows. When Chrome fucks up, however, I resort to it.

I just clicked on the Explorer icon and was offered an endless loop pop up to install a 'Bing Bar' - plastered all over my search results...with the 'We'll track all your navigation and send you ads' box pre-clicked of course. 'No thanks' just brought the pop up back in an endless loop of fuckedupedness. I finally had to Task Manager that shit out of existence.

Is Microsoft hiring tea baggers now, cuz their shit's getting embarrassingly stupid. Or is this yet another hack?

Thanks for the opportunity to vent about something that doesn't matter to people who couldn't care less.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a mac years ago switched to PC, now back with an iMac. Before I purchased I asked two friends, both IT folks at the UW. One services a 120 mac shop, the other a 200 PC shop. Both said go Mac. After two years the thing works flawlessly.

Of course on a $1999 Macbook you are getting the exact same components as a similarly configured $600 PC - a bit of a heavy Apple tax. And given Steve is now going to move Mac applications to the AppStore and just filed a patent for a cloud-booting Mac I'd say you're about to experience the digital equivalent of Devil's Island (no evil empire there, and of course Steve and Apple care deeply about you and your sense of individuality).

Shit, other than that Macs are great.

Sent from my iPhone.

[ P.S. All computers - regardless of make - suck. But what do I know? I just write software for a living... ]

actually, in terms of bugs-per-line-of-code, Microsoft does fairly well. Windows 7 is pretty good.

I was raised by an apple fan and learned software development on Apples, Macs and Unix machines. I sold my motorcyle when I was 16 to buy my first PC, against the strong protests of my apple-fan father.

There is something to be said for Unix, but anybody who honestly thinks that Mac software is signifigantly ahead of Microsoft, in terms of quality, is either fooling himself, or not a developer. Apple has certain benefits (especially for non-powerusers) in its simplicity of form, and they have GREAT design sense (something Microsoft lacks), but that is a long way away from being truly superior.

I HAVE SPOKEN!

Edited by rob

I was raised by an apple fan and learned software development on Apples, Macs and Unix machines. I sold my motorcyle when I was 16 to buy my first PC, against the strong protests of my apple-fan father.

Oh that's great! How to drive parents crazy by SELLING a motorcycle! :lmao:

The only thing second to his love of apple was probably his love of motorcycles. I think I wasn't quite 10 when he bought me my first bike -- an 80cc yamaha fatcat. The wheels were so buoyant that I discovered I could drive it across deep ponds if I was going fast enough and didn't let the throttle slip (or the engine compression would suck water in the tailpipe.)

I remember him standing next to me at the store, arms folded, tsk-tsking me... "you're gonna regret this!"

I bought a 486 DX2 with 66 mhz!!! I later spent an ENTIRE weekend installing a CD-ROM drive. Do you remember autoexec.bat and config.sys? Good times!

The only thing second to his love of apple was probably his love of motorcycles. I think I wasn't quite 10 when he bought me my first bike -- an 80cc yamaha fatcat. The wheels were so buoyant that I discovered I could drive it across deep ponds if I was going fast enough and didn't let the throttle slip (or the engine compression would suck water in the tailpipe.)

I remember him standing next to me at the store, arms folded, tsk-tsking me... "you're gonna regret this!"

I bought a 486 DX2 with 66 mhz!!! I later spent an ENTIRE weekend installing a CD-ROM drive. Do you remember autoexec.bat and config.sys? Good times!

DX? I bought the 386 SX (for SUX NO MATH CO-PROCESSER 4 YOU!) for my first computer. Splurged for the 16 MB HD. Spent most of my student loan on it, and then did shitty on all my classes while i spent all my time fucking up the hardware and connecting to terminal sessions with the campus servers and downloading mods (Amiga music files WAY before MP3s). FUCK YA GEEKDOM!

I had a Mac Classic around that time, with an external harddrive. Then I upgraded to a Mac II. I don't remember the specs, but it was impressive for it's time -- rotating monitor (landscape/portrait), color printer, and a writing pad and stylus. Mac were pretty advanced. They even had those fancy 3.5 floppies. It was the bomb-diggity.

I don't know why my father wouldn't let me sell THAT to buy a PC. :/

Anybody remember the talking moose? He was basically Microsoft Bob for the Apple. "Save a tree, eat a beaver."