Living in Reno?

layton

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a name drop-eererrr.. but Wayne said he liked Tahoe. Years ago Opdyke and me-self stopped there to crash on the way to red rocks and Wayne let us crash on the dorm floor, mostly I think Jim wanted to catch up w/Wayne , Jim being his mentor, anyway, all I remember is that it was a floor. Wayne was working, skiing and probably climbing there. So Wayne recently told me that he would consider it a good place to live- and I'm pretty sure Wayne does everything climbing related.

Woah, good question Larry. I am impressed that you are looking to move for a bit. A couple of places have that, but are expensive and red. Jackson WY, and boulder, Co are neat. I like Bishop , Ca too. Second on the list is Vegas, Tahoe, Bozeman, Mazama, and Bellingham. I have a few friends that I have talked this out with as I too am considering new places to explore, Good luck, Wayne

So let me know how it goes, I am ready for something cheep near the steep myself. Heard anything about Bozeman?

the peripatetic dr layton.

Had to look that one up!

I'd like to stay in SLC for quite some time, but I'm looking for practices for sale. SLC, Boulder, and Mammoth Lakes are top of the list, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little location to be able and practice more.

Also, any ideas on good places in Cali on the west side? Sacramento seems like too much of a sacrifice, but I've heard San Diego is awesome regardless that it's not too close to all the best climbing. Any choice Cali towns? I know very little about that state.

Anyone ever lived in Reno or spent any time there care to comment on how shitty or not it would be to live there.

What about the harem of mormon wives? Are they running you out of the place for bad behavior?

I'd talk to Karsten (Texplorer), he's there. Couldn't ask for a better partner if that's where you ended up.

Reno proper is kinda sucky as a city, but it's a short jaunt up into the mountains. Plenty of cragging a reasonable drive away, Donner Summit is one of my favorite short cragging areas anywhere, but the big big oooh wow things are further away. Especially given the weather, its better than Bellingham for climbing, but probably a good step down from what you've got right now. I have friends in Truckee I could hook you up with - a better place to live than Reno, but they've mostly drifted from climbing into mountain biking/backcountry skiing/unicycling.

Near Tahoe I'd take Tahoe City, Truckee, or Grass Valley over Reno. I'm sure Reno & Carson City have good communities of outdoorsy folks once you get to know folks, but the whole gambling thing makes for a messed up place.

South Lake Tahoe might be worth putting on your list. It isn't my favorite town, but there's good access to skiing and climbing.

the peripatetic dr layton.

Had to look that one up!

I'd like to stay in SLC for quite some time, but I'm looking for practices for sale. SLC, Boulder, and Mammoth Lakes are top of the list, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little location to be able and practice more.

Also, any ideas on good places in Cali on the west side? Sacramento seems like too much of a sacrifice, but I've heard San Diego is awesome regardless that it's not too close to all the best climbing. Any choice Cali towns? I know very little about that state.

If there was two of you you could be a pair of pathetic peripatetics.