Index is hard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sound like a broken record, but go check out Private Idaho and the surrounding area. Magic Fern (index 5.9) has a 5.10b boulder move to start, then goes to a wide-ish 5.9 hand crack. Battered sandwich has a section of wide layback/jam at th ebottom (bring a #5). Peanuts to Serve you is a few minutes up the trail. It has a section of #4. While you are there, you can climb Them at Wall of 10,000 Insects. It's pretty darn wide, but easy if you lieback it. Hard if you jam it.

Is Aries pitch 1 a big sandbag like everyone says or do I just suck at wide cracks? Because I find it genuinely tough.

If your hands are rather small, like some have mentioned, it will make it more difficult. For average size hands, it is a one-semi-insecure-wide-handjamb move to get a foot jamb, then it's over. Maybe you could get a knee lock :cool:. Practice - hand jambs don't have to hold your entire body weight to be good.

You mean the chimney? I don't find it that bad but that's just me. Everyone else hates it. If so, I don't jam that at all. I just chimney and basically don't use my hands much. It's much easier that way. Just plug in gear when you need it.

You might not like them on lead quite yet. Many people report that it feels like 5.9+ (or just 10a).

You mean the chimney? I don't find it that bad but that's just me. Everyone else hates it. If so, I don't jam that at all. I just chimney and basically don't use my hands much. It's much easier that way. Just plug in gear when you need it.

You might not like them on lead quite yet. Many people report that it feels like 5.9+ (or just 10a).

I tried to lead the first pitch and had to pull on gear. I haven't even tried the chimney- it was the most miserable, just not fun rock climb that I've ever done. I want to enjoy my climbing.

well, to each his own. You are talking about climb 94 here right? Cause I watched you lead that clean? Index guide. Oh I see what you mean. Ya that first pitch is much easier with bigger hands. I assume-because I've never had small hands while climbing. Totally a one move wonder. But when you say "It was the most miserable climbing...." you are talking about the first pitch.

I tried to lead the first pitch and had to pull on gear. I haven't even tried the chimney- it was the most miserable, just not fun rock climb that I've ever done. I want to enjoy my climbing.

Many can do that pitch but few actually enjoy it.

One, surprisingly popular, approach to it is to decided you are ready to solo it and then deck from the crux.

Short even steven and the variations (sticking to one crack or the other, avoiding the arete) are worth adding to the list of widish crack climbs...you need to learn to get just enough from your hands/forearms/chicken wings to hold you into the rock while you move your legs up... and be content with inch by inch progress as that is often all you will get.

Also, i seem to recall that you can get up battered sandwich without any hugh gear if you sling chock stones etc... some 2's and 3s and maybe a 4 would be enough big stuff.

well, to each his own. You are talking about climb 94 here right? Cause I watched you lead that clean? Index guide. Oh I see what you mean. Ya that first pitch is much easier with bigger hands. I assume-because I've never had small hands while climbing. Totally a one move wonder. But when you say "It was the most miserable climbing...." you are talking about the first pitch.

No, French-Freeing the first pitch was kinda fun in a weird way- it gave me a bit of confidence that even if I can't climb it fairly, I can just use poor technique to bail myself out of a bad situation.

I've led the dihedral clean 4 times, it's one of my favorite short routes and a terrific lead. The only pitch of Aries that I haven't led is the chimney.

The chimney, however...I followed it once and hated it to the core. It's the only rock climb I've ever done that I genuinely hate.

Edited by rocketparrotlet

The chimney, however...I followed it once and hated it to the core. It's the only rock climb I've ever done that I genuinely hate.

You probably hate it so much because you're just thrutching around in there. I had trouble jamming it, too, until I figured out I can just climb in like a chimney, with my left side facing the crack. Carry as little gear as possible, and sling it all to your right side. It's really just a few moves (for me) because I have long arms and once you can reach the top with your hands, it's over.

I thought it was fucking hard until I figured it out then it wasn't actually that bad. Certainly not an index 9, imo.

Good luck! I worked really hard to start leading 9's at Index, too. It was great when it all started coming together. And then I stopped climbing :laf:

Best way to climb 5.10 at Index:

Drive by and head to Leavenworth for a long weekend. Day one do S Face of Jello Tower, Damnation, Scary Canary, The Bone, and Crack of Doom at Castle Rock. Day two go to Careno crag and do The Regular Route, third pitch of BK, Pocketmeister, Swingn Affair, and Exotic Dancer. Day three go to Pearly Gates and do all ten or so 5.9s and 10-. Realize there are far more quality 5.10 climbs in Leavenworth and go back to Index when you can lead 5.11. :brew: