just some guy

I grew up in Seattle and I have to say that the quality of life in the region has just gone down the tubes...too many people on the roads, on the slopes, and in the mountains.

As the latest Census numbers have shown - there has been a huge influx of people from everywhere to this area, and its understandable, there is alot to do here.

But I fear that many of the Washington tranplants have not taken to the hills in good faith and have brought a certain cavalier attitude to the stewardship of both our lands and the recreations that we love. Combined with the mass commercialization of climbing and the influx of young climbers, we have seen our recreations take on an air of immaturity.

I am not trying to be xenophobic and blame everything on outsiders, there are alot of of punk locals, but I have watched the region change over the last 15 and for the most part, it has not changed for the better.

so why am I complaining here on this website? Because I would like to ask people not to visit it, because in supporting this style of website you contribute to all I have mentioned above.

thats all I have to say - please dont respond - just turn off your glow box and go out and save a stream, save a forest, teach someone to climb, mentor someone who needs mentoring, and leave your ego in your dreams...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't resist. You've got to be kidding me. Give us some of your specific complaints about Seattle, society, and how this website is contributing to the demise of both. You typed a lot of letters, but didn't say anything. Now go plant a tree...and brush your teeth.

Vegetablebelay is in the hizzouse.

Very well said Vegy.

zdfg,

i think i will respond to your statment. now this site is really really helpful. you can get beta, information on gear and i have met some really great, compedent(sp) climbers on this site. its kinda like a community. and its is really fun to hear what people have to say. i really enjoy coming to this site ona rainy miserable day and talk about climbing when i cant. and trust me if it were sunny and i had a ride to to northcascades i would take it. but in the mean time what better way to spend time then to talk climbing. and how can you say we should leave our egos in our dreams, do you know me?

so why am i writing this? because i would like to ask you not to visit this site, because in putting down this communtiy and the people in it, is just not what we like seeing here.

Aidan

zdfg,

Hehe then I will not tell you some routes that are in. Just kiddin'

I am from outta state myself... I know you were not dissin outta state guys but just think of Pat Timson, Peter Croft, and T.M. Herbert bro! There is one large climber that everyone thinks is a native but is not too! He put up serious and good routes too. I promised not to say though. Everyone assumes he is a local...

-RB

Alex,

I thought the whole point of spray was to seperate and create a place for mindless drivel. I agree zdfg picked the right place to post. I didn't follow his arguement. Even in the pre internet days in Washington climbers squabled over silly things. But now thanks to modern technology all you have to do is log on to see it.

If we were all mature we wouldn't even look at this section. wink.gif

Maybe we all do use this site to vent our frustrations, this is why almost every post has some negative comment. I am guilty if this, as many of you are. I would say the majority of us don't like the growing crowds and the commercialization of climbing, but what can we really do about? Will not using this site help? I doubt it. I've learned to deal with it, although I've had some tough moments. I believe someday the numbers will stabilize or even drop from where they are today. Still, I will be out there climbing, until I die (hopefully of old age)!

Future of the sport....let's see. I would suggest that, as with most interesting questions, we might turn to physics for an answer. Yes, physics. The focus of mountaineering aspirations, as reflected in the popular media, appears to be accelerating in a definite direction.

Everest and the highest, most remote summits of Asia once dominated the dreams of the most talented alpinists. The walls of Yosemite and the spires of Chamonix were just preparatory courses for the real stuff. Later, climbers began to consider big walls as ultimate prizes, and an increasing number of very talented climbers began looking at two-pitch free climbs as an end, as more than just practice for the real thing. Subsequently, sport climbing taught us that 40 feet of overhanging rock set the standards, and most recently many climbers are going cordless...walking around with goofy "sketch pads" strapped to their backs in search of the latest rad V-whatever problems.

Like our imaginations, the projects become narrower. Like our minds, the goals become smaller, and momentum dictates that the next development, the next fad will be.....hey, I wonder whether anybody has done the sit-start on Thin Fingers?

sticks and stones may break my bones but some internet jargon will never hurt me!

okay kids time for a nap.

not sure how old eveyone is, but come on guys we sound like abunch of 6th grade girls all heated up over the fact suzy has called you stupid. we all know suzy is inbred, just drop it.

p.s. i don't flame people i just like to make myself laugh.