Camping in 11worth = Big $$$

Crillz

Anyone else notice the major coin to get a campsite in Icicle?

Maybe I forgot how much those sites cost, but feels like they've gone up!

Why pay when you could ... blah, blah. I know about the good free stuff, just sayin'. Spendy.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

comparing leavenworth camping to squamish camping is not fair Tamara. Canadians care about those things. Average Joe American don't. We only want lower taxes.

Could you imagine anything as good as the bugaboo hut in the states?

I agree, $36 is very bad for a weekend.

Could you imagine anything as good as the bugaboo hut in the states?

No Kidding.

It would more likely than not be full of useless gear(old clothes, crappy cotton bedding, canned chili, shitty tarps.......a ton of mice and food no one wanted to haul away.....) Nearly every tree for a 1/4 mile around would be cut off abou the level of the average annual snow pack and then left half burnt because the wood was "too wet" to burn......

I have not even yet begun to describe the damage caused by carving cool things such as 420 and Billy '98 etc into any and every thing made of wood nor have I yet mentioned the bullet holes and cleverly stashed/hidden crap strewn about.

These are my experiences in the few "cabins" I have chosen to spend time at in the Cascades.

I spent some fabulous times travelling through the parks in Canada and I have to say as far as clean facilities etc. we can't even hold a candle to that and the ones I visited were......Oh my god....FREE!

I guess it just is what it is.

If you don't mind the Disney-like ambience, the KOA there has tent sites starting at $22/night, which looks more and more reasonable as the 10,000 Trails campgrounds keep hiking their prices without increasing quality of amenities.

The Lworth KOA has a "Free saturday" promo going for this weekend. $34 total(incl. taxes) for two nights. Hot showers and clean bathrooms with piped country music included. Espresso bar extra.

Pine Village KOA

DAMN! And I was gonna ask if Sherri was gonna be there this weekend with her sport'n Westfalia! I've got my kids next weekend, so I'm out. :(

Hold on to yer horses, there, Pardner. I'll be firing up the Westie for 11worth in a couple weeks. Best to let the anticipation build a little...

(sorry for the premature "Free Saturday" plug. The calendar in my head is often a week short of a month. :crazy: )

DAMN! And I was gonna ask if Sherri was gonna be there this weekend with her sport'n Westfalia! I've got my kids next weekend, so I'm out. :(

Hold on to yer horses, there, Pardner. I'll be firing up the Westie for 11worth in a couple weeks. Best to let the anticipation build a little...

(sorry for the premature "Free Saturday" plug. The calendar in my head is often a week short of a month. :crazy: )

you waiting for the ticks to fry before you come? (if so, wise move)

campgrounds keep getting more expensive. Us graybeards can remember when climbers stayed at rat creek for free. There were no houses at all past snow creek. Rat Creek was just like the (current) free climbers campground beyond Bridge Creek.

It's all water under the bridge now. The bottom dropped out of the state budget, those guys have to make money to support the campground. I'm in no position to question why they keep raising the fees, they just do. I'm glad the campgrounds are there.

And really, when you think about the money we spend on cars, houses, alcohol, dinners out, hardware, plane tickets to jtree...$16 a night is reasonable.

You can still dirtbag it, just drive farther up. There is always somewhere to crash. We used to crash up the midnight rock road when it got really bad, don't know if that is still an option.

that wide pullout where the winnebagos park past 4th of july is also a dirtbag option, just keep a low profile, leave early, come late, don't leave a tent up. Be creative! One plus side to the budget shortfall is there are less rangers on patrol.

Off topic (sort of). When I was like 16 I was going to do dirtbag camping with some friends up there. We pulled off and were checking out a place and it looked good. Then my friend came up to me and was like, I'm going to tell you something but you don't want to know because it will freak you out. Then he told me there was a dead dog in the grass (it was getting dark at this point). We took off really fast and gladly paid the camp fees.

Not sure I'd compare Camp 4 to 11worth. As far as the campground goes, 11worth is WAY better than Camp 4.

When I stayed in Camp 4.... my fondest memory is the bathroom reaking of the vomit from what was obviously a very fun night.

Those little squirrels are more of a threat to your food than the bears. I heard old timer stories that the bears would come out of the dark forest and grab your sammich when you turned your back, but I never saw it with my own eyes.

I did however, many times, see those little puffy tailed bastards jump on the table and go after my grub. Those little creatures watch your eyes, and when you blink, they start their assault.

:pagetop: :pagetop:

Public parking, camping, and /boat launch sites should be free imho. So should community college through an AA degree.

I agree, but we're becoming a mean nation of tax cut fanatics. I've heard it said that a civiliztion can be measured by how it treats its young, old, and sick. We're not doing so well any more on any of these. You can't run a compassionate, modern democracy on a starve the budget philosophy. Raise my taxes--I'm for good schools, medical for all, good roaads, and ,yes, free recreational amenities like we had in this country 40 years ago. Just make it progressive and fair. When Bush "gave" us all $600 checks a couple of times, we gave half of it away to people we knew were hurting. In the 1950s the top rate for the rich was in the 90% range, now it's 35%! The consolidation of wealth in the small % of the richest Americans continues to increase. If we let the wing-nut shills on the far right and in the so-called Tea Party run the show, we're doomed and, ultimately, so are they! But the long vision is not their thing, just more, more, more for me now and the hell with the common folk. RIP The Great Amercan Experiment if this continues.

There, I feel better for that rant!

Ah Crillz, I still remember that vomit in the sink at camp 4. It stayed there for about 3 days, like the ranger was to disgusted to clean it up. What a pit that place is.

We are lucky to have a place as clean and unspoiled as 8 mile, even with the aggressive live in caretakers.

Twenty years from now you will be looking back in time and remembering when there wasn't a condo development where the free spot is at Bridge creek.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure I'd compare Camp 4 to 11worth. As far as the campground goes, 11worth is WAY better than Camp 4.

When I stayed in Camp 4.... my fondest memory is the bathroom reaking of the vomit from what was obviously a very fun night.

good gawd the men's room at c-4 always stank from the nasty shit climbers eat and drink IMHO. the valley is done with me.