Ersatz Superfeet?

johndavidjr

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe spenco?

point of reference i went through a few pairs of insoles on a near-thru hike of the appy trail. Towards the end we went to an outfitter that had perhaps 5 brands and 15 different insoles? I tried them all on and didnt look/see any prices. I ended up paying for one that was a looked terribly generic, a brown color foam on top and leather on the bottom with some layers between. Nothing high tech at all, no fanfare or anything.

That one cost $70 (i was shocked, and a bit appalled, but for me, it really felt the best) and I still use it in my backpacking boots 2 years and 800 miles later.

I guess I find Superfeet to be an exceptionally effective product and not like a piece of foam.

But I imagine it could be manufactured and sold for profit at a fraction of current retail price. Problem is maybe the relatively small size of currently available market. Eventually manufacturers will figure it out (or have already???).

A bit like reverse of available summertime puptents, wherein market hasn't caught up with supply.

Swell. Hope Superfeet is preparing for onslaught of price competion by adding many colors.

I don't care about colors.

Effectiveness and price is thing.

That's why I like Wenzel puptents for utterly benign summer weather.

Nothing competes at the moment with Superfeet, but the price is criminal.

Superfeet didn't work well for me - just felt too hard. More expensive but I use SOLEs and have for a few years now - support and cushion.

IMO, feet is not a place to go cheap, just get what works and hope that it's not the costlier option.

If they haven't changed, the basic Superfeet are blue (minimal cushion), green (a little thicker foam), pink (womens sized version of green), and orange (with extra cushioning at the ball of the foot). The rest are specialty - for ice skates (yellow?), with thermal material (red?), dress shoes (black), etc. It's all on their site.

The colors have to do with the support and volume. They also have a new model out called DMP. They are full memory foam with the same support/footbed. Much more comfortable. Cost is the same as the rest. I won't bitch like others about that, but I get mine for free. My son works there.

Oh no, I guess that makes him a part of the giant machine that is trying to fuck us all out of our money.

Superfeet also makes a heat-moldable system that is available at better ski specialty shops. (Arlberg in Wenatchee handles them) They make three or four different versions with varying amounts of cork and foam, ranging in price from about $100 - $200. At first glance that seems like a lot, except consider: I've been using the same pair of superfeet corks since 1986, and they're currently on their seventh pair of rigid technical ice boots. I think I got my money's worth... gave a pair to my wife for her birthday this year... the best you can do for a custom fit short of prescription orthotics, which will probably cost more than the boots...