nwhikers.net

Roy

Roy, I don't have any problem with your opinion on unleashed dogs on trails, and if you killed my unleashed dog on a trail after it bit your son, I'd be very sad, but it would be my own damn fault. Then again, when I've got my two dogs out on the trails, they're pretty much always on a leash, unlike a lot of other dogs I encounter.

That, however, was not the topic you wanted to broach. You wanted to have a bitchfest about another site, and as Jon (one of the owners of this site) explained, we (the owners, administrators, and moderators of cascadeclimbers.com) don't see anything positive that will come out of silly flamewars between climbing websites and you were discouraged from carrying on about NWHikers. You should view that as more than a polite suggestion.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy,

for what its worth, i'd have killed that f-ing dog if it bit one of my kids and then would have had some serious words with the owner...

a fucking territorial dog not on a leash on public trails deserves to have its owner thrown in jail...its not right...

and i like dogs...not the way gspotter likes sheep though...

I was charged by a pit bull mix at the McClellan Butte TH yesterday. The owners just kind of thought it was cute.

My defensive reaction would have been very different if it would have bitten me.

But they went on their merry way oblivious to having screwed up my happy little nirvana trip.

Assholes.

Don't know why I'm bothering to way in on this spray fest...

I hike with my dog off leash all the time, but I pick out of the way trails, the kind that don't have any signs on them. If I come across a person, which is rare, my dog is trained so that I say "heel" and it drops back behind me instead of about 10' ahead. Never had a problem except for one time a lady near the trail head started giving me grief about not having him on a leash even though he didn't do anything, look at her, bark, etc... I basically told her to mind her own business and talk to me if my dog does something to bother her other than exist.

That said I can understand people being concerned about dogs, and have had some bad encounters with aggressive dogs that weren't under proper control. Protect you and yours, complain to the owner, and move on with your life. Not all dogs are bad, anymore than all people are bad because one person was a jackass. No one wants to see aggressive dogs on trail, but no reason to freak out about them.

As far as waiting by trail heads to pepper spray someone, dude, that is messed; why go looking for trouble?

I hike with my dog off leash all the time, but I pick out of the way trails, the kind that don't have any signs on them. If I come across a person, which is rare, my dog is trained so that I say "heel" and it drops back behind me instead of about 10' ahead. Never had a problem except for one time a lady near the trail head started giving me grief about not having him on a leash even though he didn't do anything, look at her, bark, etc... I basically told her to mind her own business and talk to me if my dog does something to bother her other than exist.

That said I can understand people being concerned about dogs, and have had some bad encounters with aggressive dogs that weren't under proper control. Protect you and yours, complain to the owner, and move on with your life. Not all dogs are bad, anymore than all people are bad because one person was a jackass. No one wants to see aggressive dogs on trail, but no reason to freak out about them.

As far as waiting by trail heads to pepper spray someone, dude, that is messed; why go looking for trouble?

Two points.

This thread obviously is not about you and your dog.

This is spray.

Two points.

This thread obviously is not about you and your dog.

This is spray.

Never complained about the spray, just questioned myself for joining. Also:

Roy, I don't have any problem with your opinion on unleashed dogs on trails, and if you killed my unleashed dog on a trail after it bit your son, I'd be very sad, but it would be my own damn fault. Then again, when I've got my two dogs out on the trails, they're pretty much always on a leash, unlike a lot of other dogs I encounter.

That, however, was not the topic you wanted to broach. You wanted to have a bitchfest about another site, and as Jon (one of the owners of this site) explained, we (the owners, administrators, and moderators of cascadeclimbers.com) don't see anything positive that will come out of silly flamewars between climbing websites and you were discouraged from carrying on about NWHikers. You should view that as more than a polite suggestion.

Yes I am up early,off to work,sometimes I have to be there when buildings are empty.

I have contracts to maintain computer rooms.

They need to maintain certain environments.

Comments,charge less why? I charge the same as the bigger companies do.

Being poor is fine ,been there done that.

Dogs running free on trails. My anger comes from when on a hike with my family.

My son was six and German Shepred came up alone and grabbed his arm .

I was right behind my son a trekking pole across that dogs head sent him winning into the woods. I took after him hoping to stab it with the pointed end. He was way to fast.

Just then some young women REI type shows up telling me off with a quite a fowl mouth.

I calmly explained the situation not wanting to upset the kids any more.

Showing her the rip in my sons parka sleeve,she said,he did not mean it? What did he mean?

I told her I would have killed it would if I would have caught it,her remark was over my dead body.

I don't see a problem with that was my remark to her.

I had told the kids to go on so they did not this witness BS.

As she moved up the trail she said fyou ahole.

My wife said that dog is only thing that will ever share a bed with her.I hope it does not bite her in a sensitive place, well maybe I do.

Sad thing was my son wanted to stop hiking after that,we got him back out there.

There was a sign at the trail head, my son never showed any fear.

Chuck rules!

I stood along side a trail with my small can of pepper spray in hand, just waiting for a large loose sheperd and its owner to go by (I've have bad experiences with large dogs as well). After having laready walked by me, the owner saw that I had the small can of spray in hand and proceeded to have a fit - red faced cursing - the whole 9 yards. A very strange response that I've seen repeated a few times by other bad dog owners when they even remotely feel that their dog is threatened or sometimes just unappreciated. So, I can relate.

They remind me of people back east, and yes I was banned because I spoke my mind about letting dogs run loose on trails.

Mind you I never used fowl language. All I said was if I obey all hiking, climbing and parking laws then why not them?

SEEMS THEY CAN NOT READ THE LARGE SIGNS AT THE TRAIL HEADS.

So, jackass, everyone else can talk about dogs on trail but me? Bug off, bug.