Pot vrs booze

bstach

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a fun experiment:

1) Do six bong hits and ride your mountain bike down some single track.

2) Repeat experiment at least 24h later but replace bong hits with beers.

3) You tell me which is more dangerous.

Additionally, marijuana will not cause you to fuck a fat chick...unless she has weed.

I avoid both for the most part. Both are unhealthy and I can have fun without fucking up my body.

Plus, if I'm going to send 5.13 trad I will ned every physical advantage I can get ;)

Best way to train for climbing...

Go to bar.

Drink 5+ beers.

Talk about climbing.

(Kimmo, it's great for the tendons :lmao: )

This is a bit of a contentious issue. hmm... As far as bottom line potential to damage your body- there is no getting around the fact that alcohol absolutely is more physically damaging. Alcohol kills many people each years while pot doesn't. Pot does have some psychological effects and perhaps some neuro-physical effects that lead to short term memory problems that may go away after ceasing use.

A Swedish study indicates that heavy pot use increases your chance of Schizophrenia. I worked in the VA hospital for 4 years, I believe that to be true. It hasn't be ascertained if being a schiz increases your chance of being a pot smoker, there may not be a cause and effect there. I don't have the study but here's a link.

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/13/thread13350.shtml

"A report released by the National Institutes of Health stated that: "Marijuana increases schizophrenia by a factor of four to six, disorients the user, causes psychotic reaction, panic, anxiety, hallucinations, reproductive cellular disruption and cancer."

I don't know about schizophrenia, but anxiety, psychosis(sometimes severe), paranoia, panic attacks and mild to severe hallucinations due to the use of weed are effects that have been well documented in many studies over the last 3 decades. And the concentration of THC is now 300 to 400 times greater in the better grades of pot than what was commonly available some 30 years ago, so it may not take as much to cause significant problems. Also the carcinogenic effects from smoking it are equally well confirmed and documented. I've lost several friends to lung cancer brought on by long term use of weed, and a number of others who survived it with treatment. There's also been a much higher incidence of psychological dependency due to the use of stronger varieties available.

So while there are overt differences in the immediate behavior brought on by MJ or alchohol,(unlike alchohol, pot smokers are seldom violent) in many ways, the residual, ongoing effects for the heavy user can amount to the same, which is the loss of the user's normal judgemental and functional abilities, compromising or destruction of family, social and business relationships, and serious mental and physical health problems.

It's not necessarily a victimless act to use pot. Whether with pot or alchohol, the families and friends of the heavy user are at risk for losing the presence, or even the lives, of fathers, mothers, siblings, and other meaningful personal relationships.

i think the above says it well, at least for chronic heavy use.

but, anything in moderation!

as far as the psychosis goes.... i personally think that whatever one is using plays on the current state or condition of the user, so if one is "pre-disposed" due to a variety of factors, then pot (or acid, or mushrooms etc) can set ya off. i personally don't think it's the drug per se, just the state of the user.