Fred Beckey Slide Show / WCC Index Fundraiser

Edgeworks_Climbing

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred was "blissfully" aware of the show when I talked to him.

I think his main problem at the O'Neil event was that he has a hard time hearing when there is a lot of background noise and, like most people who are hard of hearing, is uncomfortable saying "What? I can't hear you."

Fred will get himself there, I suspect.

Tonight!

photo2.jpg

these are reality! get yours before they are gone. numbered edition of 200, 100% of the profit goes to buy Index. WCC logo and a note that the poster is for the fundraiser. $25

Tonight will be the first opportunity to buy them, so if you REALLY want one got to this Fundraiser at Edgeworks.

Beyond that we'll announce availability as supply lasts.

Fred was great! I'd seen his slideshow back in the eighties and he hasn't lost his touch. I was kind of worried, thinking an old guy couldn't pull it off but he was amazing. He has a mind like a steel trap...pulling the names of all those peaks out of thin air. He clearly deserves the fame, he can talk the walk, and he has walked the talk.

I actually had just as much fun watching his face as he talked about all the amazing slides of the deep mountain backcountry. He was so casual: "Yeah, we flew in to the glacier and stayed there for 3 weeks doing first ascents...we climbed this new route at night to avoid avalanches...etc". That one series of slides showing the first acent of Mt Deborah? by McKinley? They climbed up the 5 mile knife edged corniced ridge, then they climbed back down it, taking pictures all the way...old canvas metal framed GI packs. First ascent. That man is amazing.

He must have some kind of incredible lucky rabbits foot to have survived all that.

I think I'll send a nice little check to the index fund. He said they are trying to raise $300,000 from climbers. Seems unlikely, but maybe when rei and the other big boys see that we are willing to pay what we can from our pockets, they will come up with the balance. It worked with the Peshastin Pinnacles.

I think I'll send a nice little check to the index fund. He said they are trying to raise $300,000 from climbers. Seems unlikely, but maybe when rei and the other big boys see that we are willing to pay what we can from our pockets, they will come up with the balance. It worked with the Peshastin Pinnacles.

Not unlikely at all! We're doing it! Thanks for coming last night Mark, and everyone else. Keep the checks coming!

Andy Fitz

Washington Climbers Coalition

Edited by andyf