Thoughts on this site

dinomyte

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone is chronically posting in the partners wanted board it's usually a sign that they are scary and or/sketchy and can't form a long-term climbing relationship. Likewise people who continually respond to posts of ppl looking for partners.

Loada shite. Solid climbers who just want to get out a lot, have a flexible schedule, and are gregarious enough to meet new folks (perhaps the lack of this latter trait has more to do with why you posted this comment, rather than any real knowledge of what actually happens on the partners forum) post there all the time. Likewise for the responders.

[Wanted:]

Single f, under 33, must enjoy the sun, must enjoy the sea

[sought by single m:] Mrs.Destiny, send photo to address, is it you and me?

[Reply to single m:]

My name is Caroline cell phone number here, call if you have the time

28 and bored, grieving over loss, sorry to be heavy but heavy is the cost, heavy is the cost

[Reply to Caroline:]

Thanks so much for response, these things can be scary

Not always what you want

How about a drink? The St.Jude club at noon?

I'll phone you first I guess

I hope I see you soon!

I never got your name, I assume you're 33

Your voice it sounded kind

I hope that you like me

When you see my face, I hope that you don't laugh

I'm not a film-star beauty

I sent a photograph

I hope that you don't laugh...

[Note to single m:]

Why did you not show up?

I waited for an hour and finally gave up

I thought once that I sw you, I thought that you saw me

I guess we'll never meet now

It wasn't meant to be

I was sure that you saw me, but it wasn't meant to be

[Wanted:]

single f, under 33, must enjoy the sun, must enjoy the sea

Sought by single m:

nothing too heavy, send photo to address

is it you?

or me?

There is also the flip side to consider, whereby an honest and forthright noob with all good intentions as the incipient mountaineer, hooks up with the vastly more experienced and confident climber willing to mentor, only to find the noob in conditions substantially over his level of competence and holding tightly onto the rapidly diminishing concept of once more standing on level ground.

Not that anyone here might have ever known something like this to occur :provoke:

This is a great site. I first found cc.com when I was looking for beta on a particular climb (which was generously given). Since then I have found 4 partners on this site, all fairly represented their abilities and motivation. In one case, our personalities didn't really match up which created a bit of friction, but thats the chances you take. In another case, I got a semi-regular climbing partner; we have since done two trips to Red Rocks and one to the Bugs. In one case, I think I was the idiot partner...what can I say, I had a bad day. He hasn't climbed with me since. Such is life.

For my contribution, I try to give noobs sincere advice when they ask.

I have a busy job and a two year old, so I don't get out as much as I did in my twenties, so it allows me to live vicariously through y'all.

But mostly, I find this site very entertaining with all the idiotic banter. I LOL and ROTFLMAO daily.

I got a lot of good help here for my trip to Baker and Shuksan that I just did. I've been rock climbing and doing high-angle rope rescue for years but am still learning the ins and outs of glacier travel and alpine route finding and got some great tips.

The only time I've only gotten spray was once for offering advice to someone on the Newbies forum shortly after asking an alpine-specific question on the same forum (note to folks: new to alpine does not mean new to climbing).

Anyway, I can definitely understand the hesitation to respond to "hey, I want to climb Rainier, who wants to go?" posts. I had to back off Shuksan because I went with a partner who, although he had been through multiple guide-service mountaineering courses, didn't seem to understand that climbing with someone differed from having a guide walk you up a mountain. Some folks are just looking to use climbers as a cheaper alternative to guide services to bag peaks and get cool pictures of themselves.

Edited by TarHeelEMT

Good comments all. I too have met some good folks on here.

And, I agree that some of the posts in the partners forum are from folks looking for free guiding. Of course, many of them are from folks who are just looking to get out.

I've gotten a lot of value out of this site, and didn't mean to indicate otherwise.

My musings were simply the result of seeing a large number of partner posts with zero replies, and I wondered how willing folks are to share their knowledge. Although I did not look at them all, many of these were from folks who have not posted here much, and may not have a ton of experience.

Some are probably looking to get short-roped up the hill; some are probably not.

I have personally only posted on the partners forum a few times, and I think I've gotten out with some pretty cool folks maybe 2 of the 3 times. So, I wasn't really speaking for myself.

Although, I was pondering how likely I am to get responses when I post for Rainier, Shuksan, Glacier, Baker and Olympus.

Obviously, it's one thing to join someone on a hike up Adams, and another to respond on something a bit more technical.

Anyway, I enjoy the discussion, and think that most of you folks have some great points.

My musings were simply the result of seeing a large number of partner posts with zero replies, and I wondered how willing folks are to share their knowledge. Although I did not look at them all, many of these were from folks who have not posted here much, and may not have a ton of experience.

This is probably because after someone posts looking for a partner, the response comes via a PM, and not via a reply to the original post.

There is also the flip side to consider, whereby an honest and forthright noob with all good intentions as the incipient mountaineer, hooks up with the vastly more experienced and confident climber willing to mentor, only to find the noob in conditions substantially over his level of competence and holding tightly onto the rapidly diminishing concept of once more standing on level ground.

Not that anyone here might have ever known something like this to occur :provoke:

hey! you always get home alive though, right? :)

i notice wallawalla ken ain't asked me to take him back up hood though :lmao:

I have asked you to climb Hood since our last ascent. I no longer live in Walla Walla, but whatever... :cry:

I have met some pretty cool people off this site and I look forward to meeting more. I just returned from a 3 day trip to the Gunks with someone I met here.

I have asked you to climb Hood since our last ascent. I no longer live in Walla Walla, but whatever... :cry:

I have met some pretty cool people off this site and I look forward to meeting more. I just returned from a 3 day trip to the Gunks with someone I met here.

ken rocks - miss you dude (and the old haircut!)

heard you doing the tieton thang this weekend w/ dave - me n' geoff are going to smiff though :(

btw, you're still known as wallawalla ken in these parts, and likely will for at least the next decade :grin:

Has anyone gotten married as a result of meeting on CC.Com?

Daniel Harro and Elisif? Or did she come to the site after they met up?

My wife and I met up through the local climbing/hiking club here in the Tri-Cities over 10 years ago. I was giving an ice climbing presentation at the local WSU branch campus, and afterwards a bunch of piled over to Baron's for Black & Tans. I was smitten... the rest is history.