Faking injuries

Dirtyleaf

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I feel terrible about this. I just wanted us both to have a good time and meet in the middle so we could climb all day. When you said that you were hurt I was truly concerned and recommended you go home. If I didn't show my concern in a way that you felt was genuine, I'm sorry for that. But the fact that you had previous injuries, that you were in pain, and you decided to climb, is not my fault. That was your decision, not mine. I was more concerned for your well being than me going home empty handed, I'd rather you'd gone home and taken care of your injury than having this situation come to fruition. All things said and done, you characterizing me as an anti-social legendary ape who is too cool for you is entirely unfair and untrue. Your communication skills could be left wanting. Probably because you were in pain. I was trying to feel you out but couldn't get a reading. I couldn't tell if you were serious because if you were in that much pain, and had incurred an injury that was serious, and after expressing concern that you should go home and get it taken care of rather than climb and injure yourself further, after I recommended you go home and take care of yourself (more important than a day of climbing, as I stated to you) you went for it anyway. I can't be held to blame for that mistake. Your attitude and response was poor at best, childish at least, and you are a hazard to yourself and to those you climb with when you know its against your best interest to do so. Your number one responsibility should be to take care of yourself first even if it would ruin someone else's day. You asked me about your gear placements and said you wanted advice, I told you they all would have held a fall (which they all seemed good to me) and was trying to work with you in a positive manner which you did not accept. You are trying to make me out as a person I am not. I hope you can get your priorities and facts straightened out. Obviously we are not meant to be climbing buddies. But I hope we can put this behind us like mature adults without any more unnecessary name calling or false facts on your part. -Geoff

CLARIFICATION!? Seriously Geoff, which of the 20 or so times I said I tore my groin muscle to you on the approach and at the cliff was not clear enough for you? Which part of the screaming and swearing as I stood there for 5 minutes before I started moving again was not clear enough for you. Which part of me yelling out in pain on certain moves all day was not clear to you. It was AFTER that happened that I said I would TRY to lead easier stuff (5.6, 5.7) but I wasn't going to be a dick and leave after we both drove down there. I was being NICE by saying I'll stay here and belay you all day because I felt guilty about what happened. I TOLD you I was pissed. Did I not LOOK pissed to you? In MY book I did you a favor by staying there so YOU could climb, when I was clearly in no condition to climb myself and you accuse me of making up excuses to stay off the sharp end? I tried to make the best of it and only had the balls/brains to lead stuff I knew I wouldn't fall on subsequently fucking myself up even more.

Do you normally assume people are lying to you or trying to pull the wool over you? And then you come on here and flame me for it? Not cool man.

As for respecting the land... sorry but someone who bounds up the side of an eroding hill when there's a dedicated access trail to get to the crag doesn't fall into that category in my book. Exaggeration on my part, perhaps, but I was pissed at your flaming and your hill approach is what ended up fucking me up before I ever got started. Yeah, I'm a pussy. Moving on.

LOL... I'd love to know how on this Earth I was a dick to YOU.

You didn't say hi at the car, didn't shake my hand when I approached you. No how the hell are you, nice to meet you, thanks for coming out, what kind of experience do you have (an important question don't you think?). No, you just walked on ahead of me like I wasn't there. Truthfully you completely turned me off in the first 10 minutes and I was --> <-- close to telling you to f-off. Brutal but honest.

Clearly we are not compatible, for whatever reasons, skill, personality, etc. I didn't realize it was a crime to have new cams and/or not be confident in placing them. I tried to duck your ego by asking you to check my placements for me, let me know how I did, clearly identifying you as the alpha male, but you wanted no part of that either. Every bit of advice, witticism, remark, small talk, etc. I made received no response from you. When you did answer it was like pulling teeth. This shit's supposed to be fun dude!

What's clear to me now is that you expected someone else out there that day and that person was not me. I thought I was clear about my skill level in the post and I'm confident that I clearly communicated the severity of my injury when it happened. I've never met anyone who's made up injury excuses to get a free rope gun (perhaps I'm lucky in that regard), and I would never do that myself. I've got no ego when it comes to my climbing ability or inability. If I'm afraid of doing something I'll tell you. I was really looking forward to pushing myself for two days, and it all came crashing down when my foot slipped out followed by pop... pop... on the fucking approach of all places! Talk about uber dork!

In the future I'm going to be more explicit and verbose in my posts for climbing partners and make sure there's good compatibility before agreeing to hook up with someone. That's probably the biggest lesson learned for me here.

Peace Out... and have a fun and safe climbing season.

Chris

I just read your recent post. You may have FELT like you communicated those things but you DIDN'T ACTUALLY SAY ANYTHING. Your INTENTIONS may have been good but you were for the most part SILENT. Do you understand what I'm saying? You didn't communicate out loud, about anything. That's how I remember it.

I had a nagging minor issue that in no way affected my ability to climb before the accident. Even after the accident I was in no way creating a safety risk from a belaying/rescue perspective at a single pitch crag. It was a decision I made to stay and it was not a mistake. I enjoyed the climbing I was able to do. I was pissed at what happened and but I tried to make light of it. I told you that I obviously couldn't go to Goose Egg on Friday. It felt like you were pissed the whole time, from the moment I showed up. How was I not receptive to you cam advice? You answered in 4 words... THEY WOULD HAVE HELD, and that was it. I chatted with you about how the lead I did felt harder than a 5.7 and I joked about maybe I was just being a wimp. Your answer, 4 more words... IT FELT LIKE 5.8. That was how you socialized with me all day. Short terse responses for 6 hours.

My spray on you was a retaliation for your poor choice to spray me in the first place and make the assumptions that you did. So take your medicine on that one and we'll call it a day.

Aside from the comment about repecting the land, I made no false or exaggerated facts. Climbing without a helmet is not safe. Saying "pay" instead of "slack" is totally inappropriate as it can easily be confused with "take", which is exactly what happened, and you got pissed at ME for it. Generally not using or responding to my voice signals was also not cool or safe. Complacency kills. I lost a friend to his complacency on a BC ice climb and I don't play well with people who disregard essential safety issues that are the number one killers in climbing.

We obviously had a personality clash, perhaps I'm an ape too, but for all the experience you have, you have many lessons to learn yourself. I've learned lots here, that's for sure.

Good luck to you,

Chris

I actually did say those things. You might not have heard me over your yelling and cussing. You were in pain. I understand. I meant what I said, for good reason, which is now more apparent than ever. You are still mistaken with your facts. When any pain occurs around a mans gems it can be hard to focus on anything else. You were distracted. I would be too. Trying to work with and learn other people's different climbing styles can be challenging to say the least, especially during a first encounter when everything is up in the air. We all have many lessons to learn. Such is the ongoing saga of life. Nine times out of ten I have a positive and enjoyable climbing experience. There are many factors in life that can and will affect that one day. You had an unfortunate accident. I genuinely hope you heal up fast. I have had more experiences with partners than I care to share where similar things have happened. Not my fault! Am I dangerous? Or am I endangered? I think neither. I have witnessed false injuries before. My skepticism holds legitimate value. But not in this case. You were/are hurt. Which is why I'll stick to my last post and wish you the best of luck. Cheers -Geoff

For the record, I don't blame you for my injury. I should have just used the trail instead of following you when I didn't agree with what you were doing. That was my bad and I'm paying for that now.

Good luck to you as well.

Chris

P.S. I think I'm the only person on the planet who experiences full blown insomnia while taking Oxycodone. WTF!?

Bill,

I wished, I was still the same age. It's been about that time frame 15 years maybe more. At 65 and 11 bucks a pack Jim should just call it off!! I just turned 52 and I quite cigs almost ten years ago and it was one of the best thing I have ever did for myself!

If I do remember right, I helped Jim move those Betas over 15 years ago! You guys need to make it to Hells Canyon this fall after it cools back down. I would sure love to hangout and do some climbing.

Keep Strong ~Dave

Ivan, you are a bastard for posting that. :o

I'd say dirtyleaf not even saying "hello" back when you met him was a pretty good indication of the unpleasentness that lay ahead. Best wishes in rovering from the injury quickly.

Acceptable:

-Someone is dishonest about their skills/background/ability/limitations and you want to warn others.

Lots of grey areas here, but if it looks like you've got the right motives and are clearly making an effort to be as polite as you can, the response will generally be positive and people will probably appreciate what you've done.

Lame:

-Someone is honest about their skills/background/ability/limitations and you didn't enjoy climbing with them, so you log-in and try to make them look as bad as possible.

You'll generally make yourself look worse than the person that you're trying to slander.

I wasn't there, but based on what I've seen here Chris looks like the classier guy, and it was perfectly reasonable for him to make a 100-percent public response to DL's characterization of him.

FWIW - we all have off-days, and partners that can roll with the ups and downs that are an inevitable part of teaming up with another person to climb something are far more valuable, and far more likely to have an easy time making and keeping climbing partners than people that can't seem to take these things in stride.

As an example of the above, here's a story from my own past, when I *had* to fit the profile of the ultimate-cc.com-nightmare partner:

I'd met John Aguiar a couple of times, and run into him at Lillooet on at least one occasion, but had never climbed with him before - and he seemed like a great guy. We make plans to hit Baker's north ridge, and I wake up on the morning we're supposed to head out feeling waaay less than stellar, but keep on packing and hope that I'll start feeling better.

It takes me way longer to pack than normal, and I roll over to John's place at least an hour late. On the way up there, I start feeling worse and worse, and about 30 minutes from Bellingham I ask him to pull over so that I can go hurl in the bushes. Feeling better? "Maybe" is all I can muster, and I waste more time trying to figure out whether or not that's the case before concluding that it would be best to bail. On the drive back to Seattle, I start to feel better, feel good enough to attempt to salvage the day by driving over to Leavenworth to do some cragging. About the time we're zipping by the Money Creek campground on US2, I need to pull over again and we wind up killing another hour while I'm sitting on the side of the road and randomly oscillating between feeling better and getting floored by nausea.

The most memorable thing about the trip for me was what a complete gentleman John was about the entire thing. It's hard to imagine anyone being cooler or more pleasant in those circumstances. He was cracking jokes, in good spirits, and clearly making an effort to make me feel better. He even sent me a funny e-mail along with a photo of me slouched over somewhere from our "Statewide Ditch Tour."

While he'd be well within his rights to run screaming if I ever broached the topic of climbing together again, I'd tie in with the guy any-time, and the way he handled himself on that day said far more about the kind of partner he'd be than if everything had gone according to plan.

There are probably been some days when I've been a good partner, other days when I've been average, and some days where I've just sucked by any reasonable standard - but I've been lucky to hook up with some great folks that play by the golden rule even when the chips are down - and they're the ones that I try to emulate, and that I look forward to teaming up with again after every trip.

Ivan, you are a bastard for posting that. :o

ha! says the man who briefly tried claiming "illness" until i browbeat him up goode (dude!) :P:grin:

Hours of emergency bowl evacuations and the loss of a new pair of boots in a raging river had indeed sapped my will to climb. I commend you for the brow beating that i well deserved. :) Those trusty trail runners are still going strong.