Palouse

John Frieh

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only kayaked (on super easy things) a couple times while living in that region. I did know quite a few really good kayakers who did all kinds of rad things around there. Of course that was the 80s. Times sure have changed.

That's a pretty incredible thing to launch off of.

Party time in Moscow. :brew:

YEAH! :tup::rocken::moondance::tup:

Palouse Falls in spring:

Palouse_1.jpg

I'd been waiting to see this video: been working too hard and didn't know it had hit the intertubez yet. Thanks for posting John. Lots of folks including me at first couldn't believe this 186-foot drop, and certain reporters, including the local ones, initially held off reporting it without photos or video. Hope Tyler Bradt is making something from it.

This drop is so far beyond what was previously done, it's into outer space with the astronauts on the Space Shuttle. Previous record was 127 feet done just the month prior, by Pedro Olivia in Brazil--that was a huge deal at the time because Olivia had just "shattered" Bradt's previous record drop of 107 feet done in 2007. I remember when Seattle kayaker Tao Berman about 10 years ago dropped off Johnston Falls (of Johnston Canyon ice climbing fame), at 98 feet, and that was a big deal then.

Sign at Palouse Falls says it's 198 feet, so it's somewhat possible Bradt's drop could be longer than the 186 feet they measured by dropping a rope, then "stepping it off" (according to Bradt) after they pulled it up.

A few years ago I helped to clean off some used-to-be-prominent graffiti on the rocks to the left of the falls as you're looking at it from the tourist's main view: Palouse Falls (pronounced "pah-loose," not "pay-loose") is such an awesome drop I can't imagine even a second person attempting it to survive. Unlike Olivia, who rolled over 180 degrees and landed smack on his top deck, Bradt entered in nose-first with his torso as close as he could get it onto his front deck, like a diver. The force was so great he slammed his back against the back deck of his boat and had the wind knocked out of him for about 90 seconds, but he survived with relatively no injuries.

I hope we don't see any more record descent attempts soon, for obvious reasons.

Read about it in the papers 3 weeks ago, and couldn't believe it then. I still can't believe it, even though I just watched it.

Yeah, he fuq'n did it, all right, I just can't believe it. Insane, man. Fuq'n insane... :tup: :tup:

I gotta wonder, though, what thoughts were going through his head as the nose of his boat dipped down over the edge...

"I hope I don't die... Jeebus, this is fuq'n insane, man... I hope I don't die..." :eek: