Eddie Bauer

olyclimber

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true he isn't under 30, but Seth is a relative young buck compared to the rest of those guys.

but true having those BIG NAMES doesn't mean they'll make anything worthwhile...though it might translate into higher prices. most of the innovation in clothing has not been in the design anyway...its been in the fabrics, which would be better developed by hiring chemists, not climbers.

Back in the 70's MAD Magazine did a hilarious satire on Eddie Bauer, centering around what they (MAD) called the parka and sleeping bag filling of "goose liver down". Featured was a "goose liver down" stuffed parka 10" thick, with about 327 pockets, pockets on top of pockets,and a 100 lb. goose liver down-stuffed sleeping bag (Keeping you toasty down to 714 below zero!!). There was also a goose liver down-stuffed canoe (with 144 pockets, of course),an arctic goose liver down-stuffed compass, and a goose liver down-stuffed butt-warmer for going to the latrine(with special searchlight for midnite latrine runs), all with multiple pockets, drawstrings, and made of "ballistic-grade bulletproof,airtight, watertight,radiation-proof and fireproof camoflage nylon." All of this crap was so heavy that by the time the enthusiastic outdoorsman had lugged it home, he was too exhausted to go anywhere and spent the weekend at home on the couch with a beer watching football on TV.

Back in the day, Eddie Bauer was a genuine "expedition outfitter" before they sold out to khaki pants, pastel polo shirts and signature SUV's. They were especially famous for their down goods suitable for extreme conditions on mountains or polar regions. My dad took me there c.1973 and it looked more like the North Face store. They had lots of specialty clothing, technical climbing gear and I even recall some sort of inflatable raft for sale. I got my first copy of "Freedom of the Hills" (2nd edition)there.

REI seemed to be on a similar trajectory but at least still sells technical gear.

Even 10-15 yrs ago they still had some good ski wear and outwear in the catalogs. "Let's make casual clothes for soccer moms!" "No, let's make golf clothes! And yoga pants!" "Let's make 'core outdoor clothes again!" Good luck differentiating from MtnHardware, TNF, and all the other lame ass wanna-be outdoor brands.

Say what you will about the designers. Given that every RMI guide will be outfitted with all First Ascent gear, they will receive prompt, honest and critical feedback. They will find out real quick if their stuff is worth its weight.