Is the Sh*t about to hit the fan?

billcoe

Aren't Jim and Prole the same two who were predicting/rejoicing over $20 gallon gas by the end of 2008? 'Nuf said.

No - but if we were in a stronger position we would be able to react with decisiveness to such conditions. Your boys aren't to blame soley, but they certainly have accelerated our race to the bottom in grand terms.

Oh yea - Happy and Safe New Year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't checked the box yet for "End of Empire" I think it would now be appropriate. Given the following:

Our "Defense" (read imperial) expeditures that now double the next five countries.

The bulging amount of private debt based on an insatiable appetite for never ending consumerism.

A presidential disaster over the past eight years that has run our good will, economic power, and real security (not the fake DHS mottos) into the ground.

A compliant Congress willing to bow to the imperial presidency and spend money on anything that will get them re-elected.

A complete lack of reguatory controls on a financial sector that three-card-montied into 20% of GDP based on hand waving.

A public that is thoroughly disinterested in the consequences of how their government works or doesn't work - except for the media horse race of every four year elections. Then it's time to go back to the mall.

A federal government reluctant to address Global Warming, the largest looming threat to global economics and security.

--- It's difficult to be optimistic and think that Obama can set the gound work to change many of the institutional flaws that will be required to get the country grounded again. I'm afraid that we have passed the tipping point on many fronts and it is our turn to start the long slide to a secondary global role.

Linda R. Monk, J. D., is a constitutional scholar, journalist, and nationally award-winning author. A graduate of Harvard Law School, she twice received the American Bar Association's Silver Gavel Award, its highest honor for law-related media. Her books include The Words We Live By: Your Annotated Guide to the Constitution, Ordinary Americans: U. S. History Through the Eyes of Everyday People, and The Bill of Rights: A User's Guide. For more than 20 years, Ms. Monk has written commentary for newspapers nationwide, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and Chicago Tribune.

THE PARTY'S OVER

By Linda Monk

The Crash of 2008, which is now wiping out trillions of dollars of our people's wealth, is, like the Crash of 1929, likely to mark the end of one era and the onset of another.

The new era will see a more sober and much diminished America. The 'Omni power' and 'Indispensable Nation' we heard about in all the hubris and braggadocio following our Cold War victory is history.

Seizing on the crisis, the left says we are witnessing the failure of market economics, a failure of conservatism. This is nonsense. What we are witnessing is the collapse of Gordon Gecko ('Greed Is Good!') capitalism.

What we are witnessing is what happens to a prodigal nation that ignores history, and forgets and abandons the philosophy and principles that made it great.

A true conservative (Rep or Dem) cherishes prudence and believes in fiscal responsibility, balanced budgets and a self-reliant republic. He believes in saving for retirement and a rainy day, in deferred gratification, in not buying on credit what you cannot afford, in living within your means.

Is that really what got Wall Street and us into this mess -- that we followed too religiously the gospel of Robert Taft and Russell Kirk? 'Government must save us!' cries the left, as ever.

Yet, who got us into this mess if not the government -- the Fed with its easy money, Bush with his profligate spending, and Congress and the SEC by liberating Wall Street and failing to step in and stop the drunken orgy? For years, we Americans have spent more than we earned. We save nothing. Credit card debt, consumer debt, auto debt, mortgage debt, corporate debt -- all are at record levels. And with pensions and savings being wiped out, much of that debt will never be repaid.

Our standard of living is inevitably going to fall. For foreigners will not forever buy our bonds or lend us more money if they rightly fear that they will be paid back, if at all, in cheaper dollars. We are going to have to learn to live again within our means.

THE PARTY'S OVER!

Up through World War II, we followed the Hamiltonian idea that America must remain economically independent of the world in order to remain politically independent. But this generation decided that was yesterday's bromide and we must march bravely forward into a Global Economy, where we all depend on one another. American companies morphed into 'Global Companies' and moved plants and factories to Mexico, Asia, China, and India, and we began buying more cheaply from abroad what we used to make at home: shoes, clothes, bikes cars, radios, TVs, planes, computers.

As the trade deficits began inexorably to rise to 6 percent of GDP, we began vast borrowing from abroad to continue buying from abroad. At home, propelled by tax cuts, war in Iraq and an explosion in social spending, surpluses vanished and deficits reappeared and began to rise. The dollar began to sink, and gold began to soar. Yet, still, the promises of the politicians come. Barack Obama will give us national health insurance and tax cuts for all but that 2 percent of the nation that already carries 50 percent of the federal income tax load.

Who are we kidding?

What we are witnessing today is how empires end. The Last Superpower is unable to defend its borders, protect its currency, win its wars, or balance its budget.

Medicare and Social Security are headed for the cliff with unfunded liabilities in the tens of trillions of dollars. What we are witnessing today is nothing less than a Katrina-like failure of government, of our political class, and of democracy itself, casting a cloud over the viability and longevity of the system.

Notice who is managing the crisis. Not our elected leaders. Nancy Pelosi says she had nothing to do with it. Congress is paralyzed and heading home. President Bush is nowhere to be seen. Hank Paulson of Goldman Sachs and Ben Bernanke of the Fed chose to bail out Bear Sterns but let Lehman go under. They decided to nationalize Fannie and Freddie at a cost to taxpayers of hundreds of billions, putting the U. S. government behind $5 trillion in mortgages. They decided to buy AIG with $85 billion rather than see the insurance giant sink beneath the waves. Unelected financial elite is now entrusted with the assignment of getting us out of a disaster into which an unelected financial elite plunged the nation.

We are just spectators.

What the Greatest Generation handed down to us -- the richest, most powerful, most self-sufficient republic in history, with the highest standard of living any nation had ever achieved -- the baby boomers, oblivious and self-indulgent to the end, have frittered away.

Added Comments:

How do WE THE PEOPLE put the villains who are responsible under oath and sit them down at public hearings to determine whose necks should meet the guillotine? Hypocritically, those who had oversight responsibility such as Senator Chris Dodd [Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee] and Barney Frank [Chairmen, House Financial Services Committee] who helped get us into this mess are on every TV channel voicing their righteous indignation and pompously sitting on their elevated platform glaring down at those they are chastising and grilling, trying to pass the blame to others.

WE THE PEOPLE should be on the elevated platform in judgment and execution of the likes of Chris Dodd, Barney Frank and the rest of the band of thieves and conspirators who are responsible for the financial collapse of the USA. To name just a few of the culprits:

Henry Paulson Jr, Secretary of the Treasury

Alan Greenspan & Ben Bernanke -- Chairman Federal Reserve

Christopher Cox, SEC Chairman.

But not to worry -- YOUR PUBLIC SERVANTS who fear being voted out of office will take their self-awarded Golden Parachute Congressional Retirement, give WE THE PEOPLE the finger one last time and head for their safe havens as the World Citizens they are. However, before they waddle off into the sunset, they will go on record one last time denouncing corporate greed, lavish salaries, and bonuses for their key felons at Fannie May, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers & AIG *Meanwhile, WE THE PEOPLE fiddle while Rome burns and we're too lazy and indifferent to vote them out of office.

I have this overwhelming feeling that the Shit is about to hit the fan. Perusing Jaybs chart of ARM rate increases about the hit the US only excaberated this feeling. (note to self, never bet against or with Jayb).

I am more prepared than many, yet don't have food stuffs, water and other necessities all stockpiled in a bug out kit. I see Mountain House #10 cans will last 25-30 years in storage. Looks like a good way to go to bolster the food supply. Here's some interesting links. Has anyone else seen this coming and made any plans? If so , what have you done?

ready .gov

Survivalistboards.com

http://www.republicmagazine.com/

Is this feeling crazy? What's everyone else thinking on this or doing about it?

What I've done to prepare:

Live as far away from people like you as possible.

I live in Seattle proper. I'm well buffered by Bellevue soccer moms from the Billcoes of the world.

With all the tweakers running around the PNW's more 'bucolic' locales, I'd say the zombie apocalypse is already well underway.

Besides, everyone knows you don't need ammo for either your shaolin sword or CD collection.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Right on cue, conservative nincompoops want us to believe that 30 years of deregulation, of slashing social programs, of privatizing everything, and of closet libertarians in control of key institutions that have all led to economic collapse is the result of "big government" ideology.

That piece of demagoguery which is doing the rounds of internet isn't written by Linda Monk but by Pat Buchanan. Of course, almost nobody would trust Buchanan on anything.

This country has become particularly enamoured of apocalyptic thinking for a while, now. It ramped up during the Cold War (and strangely, not during WWII) and the latest New Millenium spawned Rapturama, 911, and Al Gore have cranked up the volume a bit.

The bottom line is that this country has way more of everything than it actually needs, so the idea of a nationwide zombie invasion due to scarcity sounds a bit southbound in a northbound off ramp. I suppose an earthquake could create a temporary security and supply issue within a region like ours, but it seem to me that the best response to such an event is to pitch and help rebuild like a human being, rather than run and hide like a rodent. Being prepared for a forced evacuation is one thing, but stocking up to 'bug out' seems a bit weird, socially irresponsible, and counterproductive to me. You're just going to clog the very thoroughfaires that will be needed most to get supplies and help into the devastated area.

From a security standpoint, you're more likely to come under zombie ambush while stuck in a traffic jam in unfamiliar terrain than you would from the well armed sanctity of your fortified home. The zombies will mobilize along all the major escape corridors, concentrating on bottlenecks. Side roads will no doubt be heavily patrolled by local brain eaters with some serious home court advantage. All they need do is drop a tree to trap you and your screaming family in a cul de sac, ensuring your presence at dinner. You might consider arming your little ones, but with all the stress of having thousands of zombies beating on or clinging to your vehicle, the little ones are just as likely to shoot each other or you before they bag their first living corpse. Once the undead break a window and start sucking the kids out through it, your line of fire or shaolin sword thrust is blocked by shreiking Henleys and whimpering Madisons. The dark hordes then need only chew through your family members one by one until its just you left. At that point, most folks start to reconsider who the gun is for.

In stark contrast: At home, you can lounge behind a borrowed jersey barrier on a chez, fondling the duct tape mounted AR 15s at predetermined sectors of fire, never more than an arms length from a generator powered mini fridge full of Rockstars and Natty Lites, rather than being forced to crouch behind a sheet metal door peering out into the dark forest, wondering when your overloaded escape vehicle will sputter its last when the empty light finaly gets bright enough.

If the zombies breach your ground floor perimeter, it's no problem to fade back to the second floor, with its soaking tub, wine chiller, home theater, and conveniently constrictive staircase. The occasional grenade-on-a-Slinky is all that's needed to ensure that your guests continue to respect your privacy.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

All will be well...

"

Dear dumb ass folowers of FSMism,

There have been a lot of weird things that i have seen in my life before, but this tops them all. Do you really believe that there is/was such a thing as a flying spaghetti monster? Seriously, how fucking old are you? I know there’s such a thing as freedom of speech and expression, but this kinda shit should be banned. Theres is only one God and one Holy Word. Why dont you people get that? How much sense does it make to say that decreasing numbers of pirates lead to an increase in average global temperature? Is that science or some fifth grader trying to sound smart?

You are the kinds of people I dread to meet in public. If I were to ever have the displeasure of meeting your retarded ass, I would probably beat you senseless untill your stupid childish mind thought like a normal person and believed in something that sounds correct instead of just saying “Eh, lets make a new religion..and what the hell, our ‘god’ should be a clump of spaghetti. Oh, and it should have eyes and be able to fly. Lets bow down to it and see how many people follow suit!”

Damn you all to hell!! Better yet, somebody should lock you in a fucking psychiatric ward for further examination because they obviously didnt do that enough when you dumb fucks were born. I hope this web page is taken off the web as quickly as it was put up.

–Sincerly,

ANNONYMOUS"

http://www.venganza.org/

I have this overwhelming feeling that the Shit is about to hit the fan. Perusing Jaybs chart of ARM rate increases about the hit the US only excaberated this feeling. (note to self, never bet against or with Jayb).

I am more prepared than many, yet don't have food stuffs, water and other necessities all stockpiled in my home or in a bug out kit. I see Mountain House #10 cans will last 25-30 years in storage. Looks like a good way to go to bolster the food supply. Here's some interesting links. Has anyone else seen this coming and made any plans? If so , what have you done?

ready .gov

Survivalistboards.com

http://www.republicmagazine.com/

Is this feeling crazy? What's everyone else thinking on this or doing about it?

Oh, shit! I think the zombie apocalypse is imminent. Elliot Wave analysis predicts we are riding a Grand Super Cycle degree wave 4.

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. --Wall Street Journal

Edited by STP

I saw that Russian professors prediction and discounted it STP.

My top priority is earthquakeproofing the house. We've been discussing it for @ 5 months, but it's time. This just has to be high on my list as this thing is over 100 years old and has no foundation bolts. I'd been mulling and mulling how to bolt it down when I saw the Simpson Universal Foundation Plate seismic plates # upf-10 which were recently developed to fix this very issue on old homes -ie, where you can't get to the mud sill to drill a conventional anchor bolt. However, we still have a brick foundation which will be the support for all of it! :anger:http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-PLANS07.pdf

Appears to be the best way to retrofit an old piece of shit house which has no foundation bolts and no room to put them in.

Next are some good ideas for us all:

1)Pay off debt and save some cash. As the dollar will most likely be devalued. Perhaps dramatically.

2) Having goods -critical things you need would be high on the list and perhaps more important as well.

3) Put a percentage of whats left into Gold. You can also get a FDIC insured Chinese Rimbaud/Yuan denominated savings account at Everbank to offset the dollar decline as well. :tup:

4) I have the guns and ammo thing covered, don't carry it around and hope I never do, but it's there. A single 870 shotgun can cover a lot of bases and it's cheap, legal, versatile (everything from quail to bad guys will be quaking) and accurate.

5) More importantly, have a food and 10 essentials stash (include some small denomination bills here). This is most likely the things most of us will be taking on our next camping trip anyway. Stove, sleeping bags, tents, flashlights etc etc. Just keep it together and handy so you can find it in the dark if need be, water filters should be #1 on the list. Mountain House freeze dried #10 tins will last for 25 years or so...lets see, I'm 54 now, so that's.....damn, I'll be dead before it goes. Anyway, good idea and it tastes good and is easy to prepare.

I have an issue in that having a emergency kit may be moot if the house shakes down and the f*ing thing is in the basement under the rubble....but whats a mother to do:-) Ahhh, thats it, put one at my mother or brothers house! Bro lives in a place we completed last August. (dont' ask how that $ real estate investment gamble went last year! :lmao:)

Anyhow, that's my thoughts. I see Bacher and Bridwell may separately are having money problems and may be loosing their homes: renting out a basement room isn't a bad idea - wishing you all well.

:wave:

With regard to the future, realistically it could go either way, in our lifetime we saw the reorganization of Europe and the disintegration of the Soviet Union.

So the future. Try to imagine the confluence of large scale trends superimposed with 'black swan' events.

Will this be a momentary bump on the upward trajectory, a long decline (and regression), a rapid decline, a long stasis, or will this eventually smooth out when viewed at a different scale as we approach the Singularity?

As far as my family, perhaps I would favor martial law over anarchy. Although I am uneasy about either alternative. The status quo isn't so bad.

Choose your poison!

West Coast Tsunami

NYC Hurricane

Mega Drought

Yellowstone Eruption

East Coast Tsunami

L.A.'s Killer Quake

Gamma Ray Burst

Mega Freeze/Ice Age

Glacier Meltdown

Asteroid/Comet Strike

Oil Apocalypse