AHHHHHHH!!

rob

So, my checking account has been compromised. I got a friendly call from BOA telling me about "irregular account activity" and logged on to find all of my money gone, and now I'm several hundred dollars in the hole, plus all the nice overdraft fees BOA gave me.

I got the card cancelled, but since the charges all cleared, they can only "temporarily" refund me the amounts "pending an investigation."

I guess I should cancel all of my other cards? I wonder what other little surprises I'm going to get in the mail now. I hope whoever it is is enjoying themselves.

WTF! Did I kill someone in a past life or something? What a shitty year. Every time I think, "how much worse can it get?" life decides to show me. :anger: :anger:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Rob. My dad has a bunch of money from his account stolen as well. The bank manager said that several others had this same thing happened, so they assumed someone had put a card reader either in an ATM or at a grocery store, etc. He ended up getting the money refunded - I hope the same for you!

IF you wanna go get away from everything and play in the mountains let me know.

Happened to me last week most recently. It sucks but just dispute the charges and the bank ends up having to refund everything... overdraft fees included as it wasnt you.

I just keep very very little in my checking and I don't link any of my savings accounts to my checking accounts so more money doesnt get transferred over and subsequently stolen.

Also make sure and pull your credit in a month (assuming you dont already regularly pull it) and make sure none of this ends up on your permanent record.

So, my checking account has been compromised. I got a friendly call from BOA telling me about "irregular account activity" and logged on to find all of my money gone, and now I'm several hundred dollars in the hole, plus all the nice overdraft fees BOA gave me.

I got the card cancelled, but since the charges all cleared, they can only "temporarily" refund me the amounts "pending an investigation."

I guess I should cancel all of my other cards? I wonder what other little surprises I'm going to get in the mail now. I hope whoever it is is enjoying themselves.

WTF! Did I kill someone in a past life or something? What a shitty year. Every time I think, "how much worse can it get?" life decides to show me. :anger: :anger:

Bad luck comes in 3's. Hopefully this is the 3rd and final?

Bummer, rob. This also happened to me more than once, the last time being about a year ago. I have always been lucky so far, being able to cancel the cards/accounts and getting a full refund of all charges back to the credit line and all of the fees were expunged.

Like 'bone said, check your credit report in a month or so. You can get a free one from each of the Big Three credit reporting agencies every year. Any more than that, and you have to pay. Make sure you're using the secure link, as there are other sites out there that aren't what the gummint has contracted to have set up for you for free.

Link to free credit reports

Rob,

A similiar thing happened about 15 years ago when I signed up for a visa debit card. The card didn't come for about 2 weeks and then I recieved a notice that my account was overdrawn. WTF - I had 1,200+ dollars in there. Come to find out some bank teller had rerouted some cards to a PO Box number and drained a number of other accounts. Meanwhile, I insisted that they temporarily redeposit half as the transactions were all in Portland area and I had documentation I was in Seattle the whole time.

Long story short - within 1 month I had all my money and they credited all the overdraft fees.

Suggestion, be polite but chew their butts with consistent calls, etc. and work with one or at the most two individuals on it.

Good luck!

As others have said, check your credit report. But go one step further and put a fraud alert on it and lock it down. It lasts about a year and you are personally notified if anyone tries to open an account in your name. It can be a bit of a hassle for you if you try to open an account, but it keep others from doing it.

As others have said, check your credit report. But go one step further and put a fraud alert on it and lock it down. It lasts about a year and you are personally notified if anyone tries to open an account in your name. It can be a bit of a hassle for you if you try to open an account, but it keep others from doing it.
I pay a whopping $4.95/month to have my credit monitored and it seems to be worth it. I have been planning on locking my credit since I don't really need to take any loans out but i'm not sure if locked credit would have helped Rob in this case. As part of the credit monitoring, I can also pull my own credit whenever I want at not extra charge.

• 2 months later...