Blue Angels

Toast

I grew up in Seattle going to Seafair and watcing the Blue Angels down on the lake each year. As a result, I've been conditioned to be wowed by then since I was a kid.

In this age of global rampage and the terror we impose on other nations, either through outright aggression or through arms sales to those who do the same, we have lots of refugees who've relocated to our area.

I wonder how they react to the howl of these jets that may have been a signal in an earlier time to death of loved ones.

Anyway, something to ponder...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Seattle going to Seafair and watcing the Blue Angels down on the lake each year. As a result, I've been conditioned to be wowed by then since I was a kid.

In this age of global rampage and the terror we impose on other nations, either through outright aggression or through arms sales to those who do the same, we have lots of refugees who've relocated to our area.

I wonder how they react to the howl of these jets that may have been a signal in an earlier time to death of loved ones.

Don't care. Those jets truly ARE the sound of freedom. The people that are here, for the most part, are probably people that benefited from those jets.

"global rampage"??? Give me a break. Move to France, you whiny bitch.

Don't care. Those jets truly ARE the sound of freedom. The people that are here, for the most part, are probably people that benefited from those jets.

"global rampage"??? Give me a break. Move to France, you whiny bitch.

Get with the program Canyondweller, WE'RE the TRUE terrorists. :rolleyes:

I love how black and white you righties like to think things are. USA = good, people who don't like the USA = bad. It must be nice having a simple mind which is satisfied with simple explanations. Yes, those jets ARE the sound of freedom to many, but they are also the sign of misguided policies and destruction to others. For the most part I do believe our foreign policy blossoms from good intentions, but unfortunately LOTS of unintended consequences have caused us to bring misfortune to people who never directed violence, or even ill will, towards us. Unfortunately our foreign policy under George W. Shrub has not only screwed over others in the world, it has had a net negative impact on our own country.

Now to the original point - it's an airshow, and no matter what the jets may mean to one person or another, very fast kick ass airplanes are cool, and the simple fact is we make 'em better and fly them better than anybody else. The pilots of those jets are living their dream as well. So, :tup: for the Blue Angels.

I love how black and white you righties like to think things are.

There's nothing more black and white than the original post in this thread.

USA = good, people who don't like the USA = bad. It must be nice having a simple mind which is satisfied with simple explanations.

Your words not mine, nor my beliefs. Guess you're the one with the simplistic worldview, preferring to pidgeon-hole and project opinions than deal with real people rather than cardboard cutouts.

Yes, those jets ARE the sound of freedom to many, but they are also the sign of misguided policies and destruction to others.

And if those "others" are living here, then they can STFU or go home. That was the question posed in the thread - what do refuges living here who may be "victims" of US "terror" think of us. Fuck them.

I don't really see the connection between the Blue Angel's and US foreign policy. It sounds like a "Shock and Awe" argument to me and that was shown to be an ungrounded theory.

I've never lived in a war torn area but it seems to me that modern bombers are pretty much silent. Even the fighters and air-to-ground aircraft are designed to be pretty quiet until they break the sound barrier. Maybe those who lived in war in the 70's would feel some resentment toward the sound of jets but that would reflect on past foreign policy not current.

The Blue Angel's are more of a picture of the past than the present. They are practically antiques. In Halifax they blast a cannon every day at noon on Citadel Hill. It used to make me jump but it didn't evoke images of war.

I never grew up in, nor or saw firsthand, an active war-torn area. I have visited places of battles and wars that were long past.

I have never seen the Blue Angels perform, but I have witnessed the Air Force's Thunderbirds perform in three different airframes over the decades [F-4E Phantom II, T-38A Talon (trainer version of the F-5 Freedom Fighter), F-16A Fighting Falcon] and have never once failed to be amazed and awed by their precision maneuvers and sheer power of the aircraft. I love watching this stuff.

I have never seen the Blue Angels perform, but I have witnessed the Air Force's Thunderbirds perform in three different airframes over the decades [F-4E Phantom II, T-38A Talon (trainer version of the F-5 Freedom Fighter), F-16A Fighting Falcon] and have never once failed to be amazed and awed by their precision maneuvers and sheer power of the aircraft. I love watching this stuff.

I used to regularly attend the air shows at Moffett Field in the Bay Area which featured the Blue Angels (which flew A-4 aircraft at that time). I've only seen the Seafair show once in the last 16 years. I generally avoid crowds and events like Seafair, and it is of course prime time to be climbing not getting stuck in traffic on Mercer Island. ;)

The Blue Angels are not permitted to break the sound barrier during their shows. I'd like to see one of those planes do a fly by at low altitude and full throttle. :tup:

I'm sure the vast majority of refugees here have something far worse they're fleeing than what you now perceive your country to be. I'll bet most of them could have gone a lot of other places, but chose to come here. Why do you suppose that is? You used to be a voice of reason here, but you now sound just like the choir. Congratulations. :noway:

Edited by Fairweather

Antiques? Huh? The Blue Angels are F/A 18 strike fighters. This model of fighter is in active service and sees combat today.

I stand corrected. I still don't think they are an image of war.

I disagree with the premise of this thread, but I have to say that I see the Blue Angels as an exhibition of US military might, and, yes, an image of war.