Where to honeymoon?

Bug

10 days in early September.

Machu Pichu is under close scrutiny.

We are not a formal pair ( she owns 1 dress that I know of).

She does not climb.

While I am hoping to get some good ideas, spray is welcome too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few factors to consider:

How much land travel hassles do you want to subject yourself to?

Is she a country mouse or a city mouse?

Would she be content or bored staying in one place.

If she's from Florida, I'd say Macchu Picchu sounds more like your idea than hers. Go with hers or rue the day.

Oh, and Costa Rica's nice.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Good ideas T but Macchu Piccu is on the top of her list for next places to visit. She is easily transferrable from city to country and has traveled extensively. She loves backpacking and can "make do" just about anywhere.

She does need to be active. Sitting still will definately NOT work.

That said, we want it to be a fun and relaxed trip, not a difficult adventure. "Fun and relaxed" is still not the same for us as it would be for a girl who likes manicures and spa's. My girl scoffs at both. We just need decent food, regular showers, and more fun time than travel time.

If you go to Peru, think about actually hiking the inca trail to Macchu Pichu. You have to be guided and its best to book it in advance.

Have you done this?

It sounds good from the links I looked at but I would want to be sure about the camping. It would be a bummer to be camped next to someone's llama pen or some other armpit. On the other hand, if there were nice natural sites with views and peaceful settings, I might bring it up.

How are the bugs?

How many amenites along the way?

The links I saw were not very detailed.

My wife and I did this two years ago. As I mentioned, everyone is guided (govt regs). There are dedicated campsites with locals who show up selling cokes and, best of all: beer. There are 3 and 4 day trekking options and we took the 4-day one. We also carried our own gear (except for tents and cooking gear which were provided by the guides). Everyone else in our group paid porters to carry their gear. Its a somewhat burly hike for the non-climber so keep that in mind. We only had access to a shower on the day before hiking into MP. Its spectacular scenery. The food was excellent and I found myself unexpectedly gaining weight on the trek.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you the name of the guide we used.

On our honeymoon I took my wife (who had never been camping) on a canoe trip down the Green River in Utah. My advise would be to avoid any honeymoon where you need to poop in a bucket which you will carry with you...

Hmm. OK. And what's wrong with stinky?

So I checked out a couple more detailed links on the Inca trail and it looks good for me. I will have to run it by the SO.

So, Belize and Costa Rica.

Ideas? Locations? Activities?

Ask your betrothed how she likes they way you smell after 4 days on the trail.

Costa Rica, from north to south:

Rincon de las Viejas National Park: day hikes only, nice lodges located outside the park in a rural setting. Incredible wildlife, swimming holes, waterfalls, boiling volcanic lake. Watch for snakes at night.

Corcovado Tent Camp and National Park: Pristine 8 mile beach walk to the National Park Lodge. Anteaters, tapirs, rainforest, crodiles, monkeys.

Monteverde Cloud Preserve. Best to backpack to the backcountry huts here to really experience the place. Probably not worth a day trip.

Arenal: active volcano with a hotsprings right across the road so you can watch the lava at night.

Chirripo: Hike C.R.s highest peak (13,000) and see both oceans at sunrise if there's not a low cloud layer, which there will be. There's a rustic lodge with bunks at 11,000 ft, and nice, inexpensive lodges at the base.

You might want to fly in and out of Corcovado NP; it's a full day's drive from anywhere.

I've got specific recommendations for lodges. PM if interested.

Ask your betrothed how she likes they way you smell after 4 days on the trail.

Costa Rica, from north to south:

Rincon de las Viejas National Park: day hikes only, nice lodges located outside the park in a rural setting. Incredible wildlife, swimming holes, waterfalls, boiling volcanic lake. Watch for snakes at night.

Corcovado Tent Camp and National Park: Pristine 8 mile beach walk to the National Park Lodge. Anteaters, tapirs, rainforest, crodiles, monkeys.

Monteverde Cloud Preserve. Best to backpack to the backcountry huts here to really experience the place. Probably not worth a day trip.

Arenal: active volcano with a hotsprings right across the road so you can watch the lava at night.

Chirripo: Hike C.R.s highest peak (13,000) and see both oceans at sunrise if there's not a low cloud layer, which there will be. There's a rustic lodge with bunks at 11,000 ft, and nice, inexpensive lodges at the base.

You might want to fly in and out of Corcovado NP; it's a full day's drive from anywhere.

I've got specific recommendations for lodges. PM if interested.

OMG....I'm actually going to agree with TTK on something...Costa Rica is the shit....we went there for our honeymoon, and liked it so much we went back last year for our "babymoon". Lots to do from adventure to kickin it. Where to stay might be function of the season - the continental divide results in a one coast having a wet season, and one a dry concurrently, and I can't remember which is which in September. Belize is great as well, but far less to offer a non-scuba diver IMO.

I also have lots of ideas for you as well as an in-country agent we've used twice with great results. She's a hell of a lot cheaper than a US based agent that essentially subs it out to an in country agent and takes a slice.

Hiking in the Italian Dolomites: hut to hut, is not crowded in sept, weather is perfect, showers, amazing scenery and you can finish it off with a coupe days in Venice/florence whatever!!

Belize sucks donkey dicks..travel to Central America to speak english with fat texans who go there to dive and not have to worry about a language barrier