Hike for little people

Draagun1

I have a friend that wants to go hiking.Non aggressive type.She has a daughter age 7 and says that she can hike pretty well.

I was thinking Little Si for her.Never been up there myself since I usually only do Si and Old Si in that area so I'm thinking probably no snow since it is lower.Am I right on this?

We are up to other suggestions on this.Probably Ranierish and North a bit just not too far from home.

I figure a couple of hours from Tacoma is about right for the areas we would hike with her for a short non cranky day.

Let me know if dogs are welcome if you know.

Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Macson

100 views on this and your the only one that has an idea for a little hike.Guess everyone else is climbing Big mountains and never has to entertain the little climbers.

I've looked it up and it sounds nice.Snow at the trailhead last week but should be perfect.

I have a friend that wants to go hiking.Non aggressive type.She has a daughter age 7 and says that she can hike pretty well.

I was thinking Little Si for her.Never been up there myself since I usually only do Si and Old Si in that area so I'm thinking probably no snow since it is lower.Am I right on this?

We are up to other suggestions on this.Probably Ranierish and North a bit just not too far from home.

I figure a couple of hours from Tacoma is about right for the areas we would hike with her for a short non cranky day.

Let me know if dogs are welcome if you know.

Thanks

rattlesnake ledge. good views, and very very easy hike

Right on Porter.Way cool

Thanks guys for your posts on little climbs.Keep posting them and we could have a list of lite hikes for those that are less aggressive.

I know my daughter will enjoy these also since she uses Mt. Si as a bench mark.She wont go up Si with me again,so anything less than a Si hike would be good.

Edited by Draagun1

it depends on the kid. my son is/was a pretty good little hiker so we had a lot of lattitude.

i know its a freeway but he really enjoyed snowlake at about that age. other snoq pass hikes w/pretty easy trails, PCT or the cut off to lundin/red are pretty fun. the trail up to Guye peak can be fun in the summer. not too much elevation and a nice little lake to stop at. lake annette is pretty easy.

just remember to make sure to stop and have a break regularly (before they start whining) and keep some food in them

it depends on the kid. my son is/was a pretty good little hiker so we had a lot of lattitude.

i know its a freeway but he really enjoyed snowlake at about that age. other snoq pass hikes w/pretty easy trails, PCT or the cut off to lundin/red are pretty fun. the trail up to Guye peak can be fun in the summer. not too much elevation and a nice little lake to stop at. lake annette is pretty easy.

just remember to make sure to stop and have a break regularly (before they start whining) and keep some food in them

I find a camelbak with (diluted) gatorade works well to offset the whining. Also, cheetos are a big hit, or "kudos" bars.

Seasonally dependent, but here's a few shorties without much gain for the kiddies:

Denny Creek to the water slide

Carbon River (MRNP) to the cable bridge and toe of the glacier

3rd Burroughs from Sunrise(MRNP)

Mowich Lake to the waterfall, Rainier view along the way (MRNP)

Lake Serene near Index (or just up to the falls if you have to cut it short)

Taylor River trail

I find a camelbak with (diluted) gatorade works well to offset the whining. Also, cheetos are a big hit, or "kudos" bars.

i find that beatings work the best...

seriously, the absolute best ticket is to make sure each child has at least one buddy along for the hike...they don't even realize how fried they are...

Funny thing, by the time i've driven a mile from the parking spot, they are usually all passed out, snoring away in the back seat...hahahaha

We've had good luck with this book

There's lots of great hikes in there, with milage and gain information as well. My kids (5 & 7) have loved every one.

Go get this book.

I have an earlier addition that I am still using with my 12, and 9 year olds.

Every new hike we go on I write the date, who went such like mom, dad, son, daughter, neighbor, and some new catchy phrase we used for the day such like ouch do my puppies hurt!

My point is we have been using this book for about 9 years now, and it is really good and full of great idea. I don’t think a hike mentioned on this thread is not in this book.

• 1 month later...

Many good options for summer-season listed above. For all-season hikes I'd add:

-Twin Falls from North Bend side (prettier and shorter than from exit38 side although that also makes a decent option)

-Cedar Butte (Possibly the easiest summit hike on the I-90 corridor)