Voile Split Board

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using one for the last 4 years and have been very happy with it. They are a bit heavy but that may just be because I have a different binding than what you are thinking of. (mine has a large metal plate that the regular binding fits on top of)

Some things that suck:

-following a ski track is not easy as your track is way larger than the skiers. Like breaking trail all the time, unless there is a fellow splitter in your group.

-traversing tracks is hard

-time it takes to convert between uphill and downhill modes. Makes rolling ridges and the like very annoying. Flats between steeps too.

things that rock:

-going downhill!!!!!!!!!!(makes it all worhtwhile)

All in all, times are very fun. But you have to think a little more about where you can go, topography-wise. Need to avoid rolling terrain, avoid traverses and find consistent slopes to ride down.

As far as comparing it to burtons board, I would rather use the voile as I think it is more field repairable. Lots of small parts for the burton.

Send me a message if you are interested in doing some back country this season.

[ 11-19-2002, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: genepires ]

quote:

Originally posted by genepires:

I have been using one for the last 4 years and have been very happy with it. They are a bit heavy but that may just be because I have a different binding than what you are thinking of. (mine has a large metal plate that the regular binding fits on top of)

Some things that suck:

-following a ski track is not easy as your track is way larger than the skiers. Like breaking trail all the time, unless there is a fellow splitter in your group.

-time it takes to convert between uphill and downhill modes. Makes rolling ridges and the like very annoying. Flats between steeps too.

things that rock:

All in all, times are very fun. But you have to think a little more about where you can go, topography-wise. Need to avoid rolling terrain, avoid traverses and find consistent slopes to ride down.

As far as comparing it to burtons board, I would rather use the voile as I think it is more field repairable. Lots of small parts for the burton.

That said, Is it better than just plain skiing? I don't want to throw away my 9 years of snowboarding just for easier backcountry access, and I guess it beats carryin' a board.

I think split boarders do well with other split boarders. When you get skiers and split boarders together, it can get a little tedious. Skiers have to wait for the boarder to de-skin and rejoin the board, which usually takes longer than a ski deskin. Then on the downhill, boarders sometimes have to choose a different line than the skier to keep speed. It can be a pain to regroup in low visibility or heavy trees, since the boarder wants to keep speed for the flats, etc. Rolling hills stop boarders dead and it can get very frustrating for them. I have nothing against splitboarding, but it can lead to problems. I really think skis are a better backcountry tool. A split board with edge-to-edge skins, however, is unstoppable on the uphill!

You might take a look at Prior Snowboards. They manufacture up in Whistler B.C., and you can demo one up there. They use the same Voile hardware but provide choice in board manufacturers. I'd actually like to know how the Voile board stands up to the Prior as I'm shopping for a split board as well.

I tried out a Burton Split66 last season. I gotta admit the board rocks going downhill, but swapping between freeheel and riding mode SUCKS... enough that I scratched them off the list. Besides, I've seen the Burton mount fail, AND WE DON'T LIKE SHIT THAT BREAKS!! [Mad][Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by genepires:

Some things that suck:

things that rock:

I think all your points are valid, but most are generic to split boards in general. I've heard very divergent feedback on the Voile board itself. Everything from it's a noodle to it's a stiffie [Roll Eyes]

I dunno, I'd actually like to test drive one. Novel idea, huh? Last year the ski shop up in Glacier was the only joint in the state renting the Voile board. And that rat bastard Voile rep wouldn't lend his board out [Mad] . My feedback to Voile (and Burton for that matter) is how the hell do they expect to sell any of these things if the manufacturers aren't willing to support retailers demoing these strange boards? Marmont still has the same board they had on the floor last year (and don't demo) for God's sake.

Plug for Mike up at Cascade Crags... they have a Burton Split66 they rent out.

I've been considering getting a split-board myself. I've been told that switching from free-heel to down hill takes no longer than it takes a skier to remove thier skins and lock your heels? I'm kinda having the same delima- I've been snowboarding for 11 years, and don't want to stick to the moderate terrain just to make backcountry more efficient (switching to skiing). Let me know what you come up w/ (Col) and I'll probably buy the same thing, maybe do some shredding together. And if we have to bivi in the car- I've got an AK47 so we can shoot back.

I know that some of us have discussed this before yet I can not resist plugging snowshoes as a far better option for backcountry riding than a split board.

genespires says:

quote:

Some things that suck:

things that rock:

So what I see is that basically splitboards suck. If the ride is the only good thing, does it not make more sense to use a one piece deck that performs far better in adverse conditions? A board with a cut down the center of it will always be a compromise torsionally.

genespires also says:

quote:

Iain makes a number of good points as well. In a nutshell, snowboards split or not aren't ideal for backcountry "tours". They are, however, tuff to beat if you choose the right objective. Steep runs with minimal flat areas are obviously the best.

From my experience while riding with friends who own splitboards rarely (never that I can recollect) is it significantly faster for them to try and switchback up any steep hillside than it is for me to snowshoe straight up, particularly when there is a crust or windpack. The split board in ski mode simply can't traverse the slope, be it the lack of support from the soft boots or the wide skis. They end up taking them off and post-holeing. Although I would never say snowshoes are as fast as a proficient free heel skier, it is possible to ride together effectively given the right conditions.(them breaking trail [Wink] )

If you're a boarder looking to limit your runs to the Muir Snowfield (or the like), by all means a splitboard is the way to go. However if your looking to explore some of our steeper terrain save the $1000 and by a pair of snowshoes. Yes, snowshoeing is gruelling and damn near impossible at times but it keeps you in outstanding shape for those long alpine approaches next summer.

Just my opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:

I've been told that switching from free-heel to down hill takes no longer than it takes a skier to remove thier skins and lock your heels?

I dunno, dude. I've seen skis be deskinned and heels locked pretty quick. Maybe I'm just lame, but my attempts to swap between freeheel and riding mode on a splitboard were hampered by massive surface area battling sticky adhesive and the ever-so-persnickety Burton clamp [Mad][Mad][Mad] A simple grain of ice is enough to prevent the damn thing from locking and that's a tough thing to juggle when sinking up to your waist in fresh pow pow.

IMHO, there are some inherent costs to doing business on a board in the backcountry. However, skiers don't get to enjoy the massive erection one gets while riding a snowboard down steep freshie tracks. [Moon] Ride on.

quote:

I've been told that switching from free-heel to down hill takes no longer than it takes a skier to remove thier skins and lock your heels?

Freeheel skiers just pick up their foot with the ski on it, grab the tail of the skin and rip 'n' go. I'm ready to shred in about 30 seconds after I catch my breath. [big Grin]

I've been on day trips with split boarders, and they can be just as fast as skiers at making the transition for downhills. They also can be pretty fast for the uphills too. No option for ski crampons though, so side hilling on firmer conditions is more difficult for them.

Lots of snowboarders using splitboards in the Wasatch. You need it if you want to cover much ground for the approach. Perhaps makes less of a difference for the close in stuff.

The other choice not mentioned is shorty approach skis that you stow on your pack for descent. You really wouldn't have to even take the skins off of these, and would get to choose whatever snowboard that you want. Appears as though some of the folks seeking out performance for steep descents go this route.

quote:

Originally posted by mtnnut:

The other choice not mentioned is shorty approach skis that you stow on your pack for descent. You really wouldn't have to even take the skins off of these, and would get to choose whatever snowboard that you want. Appears as though some of the folks seeking out performance for steep descents go this route.

These shorty skis look pretty cool and allow you to deal with rolling terrain like the approach to Joffre where a little glide that will put you far ahead of snowshoers. Looks like the shorty skis take mountaineering boots well too and allow edging power, which split boards do not.

Anyone own these shorty skis?

quote:

[QB]I've been considering getting a split-board myself. I've been told that switching from free-heel to down hill takes no longer than it takes a skier to remove thier skins and lock your heels? I'm kinda having the same delima- I've been snowboarding for 11 years, and don't want to stick to the moderate terrain just to make backcountry more efficient (switching to skiing). QB]

If you have some skiing background prior to your snowboarding days, give fat skis a try. Once you go fat you can't go back...

• 2 weeks later...

Prior Snowboards is demoing boards up at Blackcomb December 13th and 14th. I can't make it up there that weekend, but maybe one of you can... and can feed a review back to this thread. See http://www.priorsnowboards.com/winter_schedule.html for details

Prior makes a 172 swallow tail split and a more conventional backcountry split board in various lengths that range from 154 up to 176 cm. Each comes with the Voile hardware and Tractor Skins.

The biggest question I have is how does the Prior stack up to the Voile Split Decision board of the same length? Trying to compare either of these two to the Burton is an apples and oranges comparison.

I've used the Voile with plate bindings, clickers, and regular strap bindings. For pure boarding, I liked the clickers the best. Faster transition times. I found using rigid boots with plate bindings too stiff for boarding. I suppose if you want to go warp 10, then they might be more suitable. The strap bindings work pretty nice with leather mountaineering boots. I used Sportiva K3's and supergaters with alot of success. That combo also rules if it gets to steep and you have to shoulder the board and walk. If I bought another board, I'd get the 195 length. Floatation and speed help alot getting over rolling terrain. It's really frustraiting to run out of gas before the next down spot and have to take of board to move 10 feet and put it back on. If you get the voile, carry an extra lock pin for the bindings. Dropping one of these in deep snow while transitioning will likely ruin your ski tour. I tried securing the clips with string to the bindings, so if I dropped one, it wouldn't be lost, but the string always got in the way, and slowed my transition time down (crucial if you are touring with skiers). I found it best to remove the pin and clip it immediately to the sternum strap on my pack. This works well if you leave your pack on during transition and just stuff the skins inside your jacket.