The Loonie worth more than the Green Back..

jmace

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't the size of the lines that they were talking about, it was the rugby-scrum-with-skis deal that came up again and again

No worse than Whistler on a powder day...... and unlike Whistler 99% of the Euro hordes will stick to the pistes leaving everything else for you.

I've got the lime-green one-piece with the neon accents ready to go, but unfortunately lack in-laws with the condo hookup in Euroland.

The powder decimation at Whistler/Blackcomb is a marvel of efficiency. Quite the wonder to behold, as is the gang-huck ripcord depth-charge scene that occurs to the left of harmony chair after a fresh dump.

Combine that with the one-pieces and you'd really have something.

LAECvnufApA

The powder decimation at Whistler/Blackcomb is a marvel of efficiency. Quite the wonder to behold, as is the gang-huck ripcord depth-charge scene that occurs to the left of harmony chair after a fresh dump

Yes. Fat Skis + too many people + way overconcentrated high speed lift system = maybe 5-10 powder runs for your money. It's standard at any N. American resort with "decent" terrain (all 3 of them)

No fucking thank you.

The powder decimation at Whistler/Blackcomb is a marvel of efficiency. Quite the wonder to behold, as is the gang-huck ripcord depth-charge scene that occurs to the left of harmony chair after a fresh dump

Yes. Fat Skis + too many people + way overconcentrated high speed lift system = maybe 5-10 powder runs for your money. It's standard at any N. American resort with "decent" terrain (all 3 of them)

No fucking thank you.

I like the tuck-skate-boot triathalon to hit the last of bit of snow in the sequential decimation scheme. Actually - most of the time I've been able to find fresh snow all day with the help of 5-10 minute hikes, and 2-3 days later with a ~30 minute hike.

Terrain Wise, what are the three?

Jackson Hole, Whistler/Blackcomb, and Snowbird? Crystal makes the cut on my personal list, but I continue to hope that it stays off of everyone else's who doesn't already feel the same way.

I like the tuck-skate-boot triathalon to hit the last of bit of snow in the sequential decimation scheme. Actually - most of the time I've been able to find fresh snow all day with the help of 5-10 minute hikes, and 2-3 days later with a ~30 minute hike.

Terrain Wise, what are the three?

Jackson Hole, Whistler/Blackcomb, and Snowbird? Crystal makes the cut on my personal list, but I continue to hope that it stays off of everyone else's who doesn't already feel the same way.

Oh yes, the powder morning race.

Matched only by liftline fisticuffs as some "bro" elbows his way past you in the singles line to meet up with his (nonexistant) buds and gets peeved when you shove his faux patchouli scented, goretex clad, twintipped ass into the snowbank and tell him to wait like every one else. At which point he spits venom as only the under employed, under brained and over THC'd can.

The 3? I dunno. W/B has the big mountains and glaciated terrain necessary, an expansive lift system, and tons of terrain accessible by a couple hours skiing. Nowhere else in the lower 48 really does. I suppose Jackson, Snowbird, Squaw, Mammoth could be on the list.

7k after taxes etc.

There is no duty because the Xterra is built in Tennesee, (by Koreans) If you have the paperwork sorted out before you get the border it takes ten minutes to go through the border. It is quite easy. If you are interested I can help you out. Wait a few days and the dollar will be much more valuable than the U.S. peso..er dollar

If you have the paperwork sorted out before you get the border it takes ten minutes to go through the border. It is quite easy.

I recently looked into this as well, and while it does seem like a lot of hoop jumping at first, once you get it all sorted out it isn't really that bad.

Unfortunately, for the vehicle I was interested in, there was no guarantee that the US warranty would be honoured in Canada, so I ended up buying here at home.

If you have the paperwork sorted out before you get the border it takes ten minutes to go through the border. It is quite easy.

I recently looked into this as well, and while it does seem like a lot of hoop jumping at first, once you get it all sorted out it isn't really that bad.

Unfortunately, for the vehicle I was interested in, there was no guarantee that the US warranty would be honoured in Canada, so I ended up buying here at home.

For Nissan, the vehicle must have been registered in the States for 6 months before export, this is the manufacturers way of making it more difficult to purchase brand new cars down south. Toyota though, will honor warranty on brand new cars. GM dealers get a good smack around for doing it, but then, who would want one. The tricky bit is to get the PAPER copy of the original title as Warshinton has electronic titles, so you have to ensure that the dealer gets it from Olympia. You need to fax a copy of the title, a bill of sale, and an export from to the US border services at least three days before you export, and have the originals when you cross and your are pretty well done. There are a few small hoops to jump here with a federal safety inspection at Canadian Tire who will want to see Daytime running lights and car seat anchours, then you are on your way, with five or six grand in your pocket to buy up waterfront property on lake washington that will be up for grabs soon.

• 2 months later...

---from Christian Science Monitor 12/4/07

The United States gains geopolitical power and prestige from the dollar's position, as the British did when the pound sterling reigned. It means convenience for US exporters and travelers and more business for US banks. It also makes it easier — some might say too easy — for the US to run up huge debts with the rest of the world, denominated in its own currency at low interest rates.

Those debts would be the US trade deficit, which is currently running at a pace of $533 billion a year.

"The willingness of Asians and others to continue financing the US current account deficit in the future is certainly related to the dollar's continued role as premier international reserve currency," concludes a National Bureau of Economics Research paper by economists Menzie Chinn of the University of Wisconsin and Jeffrey Frankel of Harvard University.

Lately, however, the dollar hasn't been looking so luxe. It's been gradually declining in value against other strong currencies for some five years; in the past few weeks, that slide has threatened to become a plummet. Since August, the dollar has slid about 6.6 percent against the euro. It has declined some 4.7 percent against the yen....This drop is partly caused by international concern about the mortgage mess in the US and what it may mean for US and world economies. But the dollar's past success and the huge US trade deficit are also part of the problem.

There is a vast trove of dollars stored in vaults around the world. If, say, China tires of watching its dollars become less valuable by the day and decides to trade a large amount for euros, the flood of currency into the market could depress the dollar's value further. This might lead to more dollar dumping and price decline, leading to ... well, you get the idea.

...In the short run, the greenback's status is unlikely to be threatened. Too much of the financial world is accustomed to dealing in dollars. Too many computer systems are set to deal with dollar pricing. Too many professionals have invested their careers in following it.

"There is a tremendous amount of inertia when it comes to what we use as medium of exchange," says Mr. Silber.

In the medium term, if the US continues to run huge trade deficits by buying up OPEC oil and Chinese manufactured goods without increasing exports in return, world bankers may think seriously about their options. Enter the euro.