Chimney practice?

jared_j

What are ya'll's recommended chimney routes (or at least routes with significant chimenying) in Washington? I don't really have much chimney experience, but would like to tighten up that aspect of my trad game. Thinking about a trip in a few months to Red Rocks, and I'm curious about climbing Epinephrine.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aries (?) at Index got a short flared chimney.

Stanley-Burgner rotue on S. face of Prusik got a nice chimney.

Damnation Crack at Lworth got a nice if short chimney section.

7-Virgins in Vantage.

Seven Virgins and a Mule isn't hard enough, although it's fun. There is a somewhat harder chimney at Middle East Wall that's a 5.8. (name is not coming to me right now)

Add to the list Battered Sandwich at Private Idaho, Index and the Northwest Corner of NEWS.

Edited by catbirdseat

What are ya'll's recommended chimney routes (or at least routes with significant chimenying) in Washington? I don't really have much chimney experience, but would like to tighten up that aspect of my trad game. Thinking about a trip in a few months to Red Rocks, and I'm curious about climbing Epinephrine.

red_towers_climber.jpg

red_towers.jpg

"This route has been the the subject of much controversy over the years, and many have been arrested for scaling this forbidden spire. The route was bolted every 10 ft or so in the 70s with hangerless 1/4" bolts. Most would forego a rope and solo up and down the 180 feet. However, during a 1999 ascent which lead to a public arrest, the lower 3/4 of the route's bolts were chopped. There is now only about two or three remaining bolts near the top. Be careful when scaling these towers due to PI patrols every 15 minutes."

alpinedave's topo