Bibler Zippers=crap

Lambone

I've only used my new Bibler twice and the zipper is totaly F%#@&ed!!! Grrrr... [Mad]

I have allways loved these tents, and had good experiences with them in the past, but the new zippers they are using must be some cheap peice of shit made in some indoneasian backalley sweatshop. Luckily it was mostly sunny this weekend, just a bit windy. REI here I come...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can consider my $ thanks enough. When I pay that much for a peice of equipment I shouldn't have to worry about complete zipper failures. Had it happened that weekend things would have gotten serious very quickly.

I'm just a little tiered of companies that go big and compromise the quality of their gear. I'm just wondering if Bibler's quality has decreased since they were acuired by Black Diamond.

I also wonder why they put such a small gauge zipper on their tents. The tent door is pretty crucial whouldn't you agree? I'd carry the weight of a thicker zipper if it'd stay closed for me...

And by the way, I said the zipper was a "piece of shit." If yo took a look at it you'd agree.

[ 08-19-2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

I'm just wondering if Bibler's quality has decreased since they were acuired by Black Diamond.

Some other products suffering from BD takeover so far:

Scarpa Inverno ("new fit", extended wear will lead to removal of skin and possible tib/fib Fx)

Ascension Glue (periodically glops and falls off, they seem to have fixed this and have good customer support for it)

Helmet Sticker Pack (bought from Fisher Price, no longer has "my first ice screw" sticker included, for shame)

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

quote:

I'm just wondering if Bibler's quality has decreased since they were acuired by Black Diamond.

Scarpa Inverno ("new fit", extended wear will lead to removal of skin and possible tib/fib Fx)

Ascension Glue (periodically glops and falls off, they seem to have fixed this and have good customer support for it)

Helmet Sticker Pack (bought from Fisher Price, no longer has "my first ice screw" sticker included, for shame)

Scarpa--Isn't BD merely a North American wholesaler for what is still an Italian-owned company? Perhaps they have some say in how Scarpa manufactures their boots. But whoa, tib-fib Fx due to nothing more than a boot no less...somebody be doin somethin wrong...

Ascension Glue--First I've heard of this, I've had a couple pair Ascension skins and have thought them the best...in part because of their "sticks like a fly to shit" glue. What's up with the glopping thing?

Helmet sticker pack--oh, no are all the stickers on my helmet gonna fall off?

Lambone, sorry about the zipper, dude, glad it didn't happen on your epic. Zippers are the one piece of gear that are most likely to fail first (other than plastic buckles) on tents, packs, sleeping bags, tech clothing. One way to alleviate it is use some sort of zipper lubricant, like what Aqua-Seal made originally for diving suits, and what is also manufactured by others and used for boats...I think Aqua-Seal's stuff is called "zip-lube"...looked but couldn't find a bottle in my shop. Regardless, I'd be calling BD/Bibler to get some CS. Good luck on it.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

BD just distributes them, Scarpa is an independent Italian bootmaker

I dunno, I wear inverno liners in my alphas because they are a better fitting liner for me. I think the issue with the boots was that the liner was too high, causing problems for some people. I honestly dont have any complaints.

The zipper thing...Lambone, check on the actual zipper part...does it say ykk on it? I dont remember the exact controversy with the company, but I know that a lot of the clothing manufactureres were having issues with them. Yet, they were bound to use them for one reason or another. Bibler could have been stuck in the middle of whatever is going on as well. I can find out more if ya like.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

BD just distributes them, Scarpa is an independent Italian bootmaker

Whoops, sorry BD. Well then know Scarpa ticked off a few people by changing the fit (when they changed from eurotrash purple to black). Hope you didn't take the tib/fib Fx seriously [laf] . I'm sure I'm not the only one with bruised shins wearing invernos though.

And just to maintain a BD rant, they charge too much for Scarpa products here in the states! So there! [Wink]

Chode-a-blow-

We didn't want, need, or ask for a helo., it was out of our hands. They weren't my first and second glacier climb by any stretch of the imagination, and it isn't my first four season tent. I've spent many a night in Biblers and Intergral Designs Single wall tents, and finaly after years of wanting one, was able to aquire one this summer. I find it dificult to refrain from profanity, but its not worth it...cheers prick [big Drink]

Carolyn-

they arent YKK zippers. They are Ideal??? Never hear of them...

It was an I tent, and I assume the others have the same zipper.

The zipper broke with no tension on it, the problem seems to be the teeth. I am suprised they use such a wimpy zipper. I would have checked it out previously but we ordered it on-line.

I'm takin it back to REI first, for convinience and time sake. If that doesn't work I guess I'll havta send it back.

I was pissed at first, but now I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Is it a fluke thing, or can I expect it to happen again if I have it replaced...?

The floor also has several small holes from sleeping on dry bivi spots for just a few nights...weak. I wanted a light tent, carrying a foot print seems to defeat the purpose of a Bibler in the first place. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

The floor also has several small holes from sleeping on dry bivi spots for just a few nights...weak. I wanted a light tent, carrying a foot print seems to defeat the purpose of a Bibler in the first place.
[Roll Eyes]

That may be so, but I bet they feel compelled by market forces on the fabric weight and perhaps the zipper as well. With "light is right" being the mantra of today, most shoppers compare grams and not durability.

[ 08-21-2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: mattp ]

I've done a little reseach in this area, as I would like to buy a new tent this year. the Bibler is a great tent, but I think that you sacrifice durability for weight. I've talked to several people who have used biblers on big expeditions, and it seems that they are ideal for those types of trips, but seldom for several of those trips. The mere fact that they are single wall, light weight tents makes them by nature much more fragile than a comparably sized double wall, heavier tent.

In my opinion, I would rather have a pound or two of extra weight for a tent that will last longer than one season.(and biblers used alot, don't usually last more than that anyway)

About the groundsheet, if you're willing to shell out the cash for an expensive tent, invest in a ground cloth also, it will extend the life for sure.

Just my two cents.

sean

The zippers on my 10 year old three season North Face tent are still in perfet shape.

Everything breaks eventualy sure, but a $600 tent...on it's second trip out [Confused]

I don't know, I probably just got a bogus one. [Roll Eyes]

And hikerwa...its not the cost of a ground sheet, its the weight and bulk. I'd rather have a more durable floor. Integral Designs makes one with a thiker floor. Anybody have experience with that?

[ 08-21-2002, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

FWIW the zipper on my Bibler (~6 yrs old pre BD, Eldorado bought 2nd hand) is a YKK. No troubles after multiple weeks of alpine living, and not taking much care about straining it. I think you got a jingus zipper and you should raise hell. The holes in the floor are your own fault though, and easier to fix anyways. Personally I'd rather have a lightweight floor with 0.005% by area seamgrip patching holes than a heavyweight floor.

Call BD. Get a return authorization #. Ship it back, insured. They will fix it and return it, typically paying the shipping back.

I've got a lot of time (got to be 70+ days) on a Bibler Fitzroy. Zippers are YKK and in fine shape, but I've had a few repairs made over the years, mostly caused by folks w/ shovels or pickets (yes, flying pickets) getting careless.

I wouldn't hesitate to whine about this happening on a tent the second time you used it. Either the store you bought it from or BD should make it right.

I also have a ground sheet. The bottom layer in my Bibler seems super tough, but I'm religious about taking my boots off and trying to be careful inside it, just for that reason.

quote:

Originally posted by jaee:

Call BD. Get a return authorization #. Ship it back, insured. They will fix it and return it, typically paying the shipping back.

I wouldn't hesitate to whine about this happening on a tent the second time you used it. Either the store you bought it from or BD should make it right.

You might be surprised: Bibler repair experience

I bought my Eldo after quite a bit of research, including talking to my climbing partners and friends who have them. One held up just fine on Denali for weeks, another is old and beat up, but still holds up fine all over the cascades. My eldo stood up in the winds overnight on the summit of Rainier last month, much to my liking.

of course, YMMV

[ 08-22-2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Thinker ]

quote:

greeeaat...

it's kinda funny that the Bibler website does not have any information about warranty or repair.

except for this:

quote:

from
:

I need repair work or need a modification done to my tent, where can I send it?

We refer all our non-warranty repair work to Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle, WA. We believe Rainy Pass to be the foremost authority on single wall tent repair in the country. They are not cheap but they do excellent, competent work. They also will take on modifications (for a price).

based on this post: I'm PISSED , you'll probably pay thru the nose if you use Rainy Pass.