Glasses?

rmncwrtr

Anyone have a recommendation on the best type of frame to get for rock climbing?

I'm really near-sighted. I lost a screw half way up a rock wall and a lens popped out. Found the lens, but not the screw and used tape to fix it so I could drive and have them repaired. Might not be so lucky if that happened outside so figure having an extra pair for climbing/outdoor activities might not be a bad idea. Thanks!

Edited by rmncwrtr

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had an issue with any of the frames I've had - and I use Costco wire frames that are not particularly tough. I always have them bend the hooks around the ears a little more aggressively than normal, to minimize the chance of knocking them off inadvertently, and thus far I've never completely lost a pair although I've had a flip of the rope or a slap in the face with a bush knock them off one ear.

As to lenses, I have difficulty with my "progressive" lens design, and it seems that the photogray ones reduce my ability to see details on rock slabs.

I use a snug-fitting frame when climbing - has held so far. Nothing special about the frame. At the same time, I ALWAYS carry my main pair of glasses with me when I go climbing. Again, I've never had to use the second pair, but I'd hate to be stuck in the mountains with limited eyesight.

I also used to carry a glasses repair kit with me. These are cheap - $1 or $2 from any drug store. They have a pair of spare screws, a pair of nose pads, and the cap of the kit has a screw driver that could handle the screws in most frames. Very lightweight as well.

On a related note, its strange how we miss some of the little things once in a blue moon when we're outside. How many of us carry spare shoe/boot laces for instance?

:lmao: Those "Birth Control Glasses" do look indestructable, robmcdan. Might have to look into those.

MattP - by progressive lens do you mean the kind that change with sun/light exposure?

Pup - I'm going to get one of those glass repair kits and stick it in my pack. Great idea. I won't be able to get a new pair before I climb again, but I think I'll stick an old pair in there, too, just in case.

For beater glasses, I'd say whatever is cheap and durable. I usually just bring my regular pair of glasses, but also almost always have a pair of prescription sunglasses with me as well. I broke down and bought a pair a couple of years ago as I can't stand driving in bright sun without sunglasses, but I need prescriptions to drive. Ended up getting a pair of Rudy Project :tup: and have been very happy. A bit on the pricy end but they have the exchangeable lenses thing, fit well enough to use on glaciers, and have prescription inserts (so in a pinch I can pop the sunglass lenses out, and just leave the inserts in.) With the inserts it should also be able to take just about any prescription. all in all been very happy. i keep thinking I should get a pair of "climbing glasses" though.

MattP - by progressive lens do you mean the kind that change with sun/light exposure?

writer:

Progressive lenses are those with different focal lengths fading from bottom to top, so the bottom of the lens is for reading and the top is for distance. I have some difficulty seeing the details of a piece of rock at foot-level - and I'm guessing that the portion of the lens with the right focal length is pretty small. This is only a problem for slab climbing, as I can easily see any edges I might want to stand on but unpronounced ripples on a slab are more difficult to spot.

I would be tempted to try Sea Specs. They are a sunglass that is designed for water sports. I know you can get them in a prescription lens of various tints or non. Mine stay on comfortably through hours of white water kayak. They are pretty well vented and I have not had fogging issues. As well a trick head strap so that they dont come off even with a full on wave bash to the face. Their web site is this one.

How about contacts? I use disposable ones (like the 2 week-1month kind). I can stash an extra pair for almost zero added weight or bulk. If you don't want to wear them on a daily basis, you can also get the 1-day disposables, only for use when climbing or other sports. I have a friend who wears 1-day disposables for a couple of weeks, saving much $$ over throwing them away every day. On multi-day climbs, I just leave my contacts in, bring a micro-dropper bottle with artificial tears to rewet upon awakening. Contacts have the further advantage of being able to use regular sunglasses. I guess they are not for everyone though. Some people can't get over the "feel" of them in your eye or putting them in taking them out. I thought so at first, but if you just stick with it you will not notice them anymore.

Nice one, Dechristo.

I googled the Flexon frames. Those sound like they would work well!

They certainly do. Flexon frames are one brand that are titanium-based. Titanium alloys are stronger and have better "memory" so your frames are less likely to break or bend. Costco sells titanium-alloy wire-frames for the lowest prices I've found, including among the big boxes (LensCrafters, etc) and independent opticians. Costco also has a one-year guarantee/warranty on their frames and on lens scratches. You can pick out frames in their display, or if those don't cut your mustard you can try and get a helpful customer service-oriented optician to look through their books with you to make a special order.

Matt's "progressive" lenses are merely bi- or tri-focals without the lines in the lenses. There's a gradual change or progression in focal length as you vertically go up or down the lens. Many of us folks approaching or beyond 40 lose the flexibility of our eyes to easily focus on characters on printed page or screen, thus the need for "reading glasses," or if we're already near-sighted (meaning can't see far) then the dreaded bifocals. I have progressive lenses as well, and have the same issues sighting in on my feet that Matt mentioned.

Basically, for cragging and regular rock climbing, I like my much-abused titanium-framed glasses, and for the alpine where bad weather, snow or ice are involved, I generally wear contacts in combo with different sunglasses or goggles.

Let us know what you find or choose.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning toward the flexible frames.

Appreciate the Costco tip, Steve! BTW, I see you're from Mead. I grew up in Liberty Lake.

As for all you contact wearers, I wore them for years, until I switched to glasses. I've been happy with the glasses so never thought about going back. I was wondering what people do for Alpine climbing since I'd like to eventually give that a try. I've had a few issues with fogging when I ski with the goggles and glasses combo. Those disposable contacts might just be the ticket for alpine.

• 5 months later...

Wow, I didn't realize I'd asked this question so long ago. Anyway I finally made it into the eye doctors. I'd been too busy with work and family to manage it before.

After talking with him, I decided to go the contact route (the kind dbconlin mentioned that you throw away after two weeks) for climbing and skiing. I still prefer glasses, and am getting a new pair of those, too, but I hate my glasses fogging up when I ski and he said the contacts should work well for climbing. I asked him for a lens prescription so if the contacts don't work, I can get a cheapy pair of flexon frames for climbing!

Thanks again for all the posts. They were really helpful :)