Home Defense Firearm Suggestions?

Choada_Boy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend a 12-guage pump-action shotgun, with a shorter barrel (~19 inches) and a real stock (not a pistol-grip).

For home-defense, I believe a shotgun is better than a handgun for the following reasons:

a) The shotgun's spray pattern is more likely to hit your target than a conventional round, especially considering you will likely be firing in the dark and under fearful/stressed conditions.

b) A conventional round would be more likely to penetrate walls, possibly injuring family members or neighbors.

c) Nothing beats the pure intimidation factor of the sound of a shotgun's pump action.

Of course, an even better solution may be to move somewhere else, where you don't have to worry about home-defense as much. :(

Guns are bad juju.

good luck, R

Edited by robmcdan

Go to Canada if you are so f***ing scared of getting murdered.......

Here's a thought....in America we have the right to bear arms, and the right to own a hand gun. This law has been around since antiquity. If you don't like it, why don't YOU move to Canada?

Listen Mr. B, just because something has "been around since antiquity" doesn't mean that its still a good thing!

Fear and violence just breed more fear and more violence.

YOU REDNECK.

a) The shotgun's spray pattern is more likely to hit your target than a conventional round, especially considering you will likely be firing in the dark and under fearful/stressed conditions.

I love when statements like this are made with no sense of irony whatsoever. :moondance:

Choada,

I seriously doubt that this is the proper forum to get an answer from, but here let me throw in my 2 cents.

This is an excellent pistol.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html

It is inexpensive, unobtrusive, easy to use, and requires little maintenance. It can fit into the pocket of your coat, or in a drawer out of sight. It's not the most gucci looking kit, but it is effective.

The best defense is just a good situational awareness, and knowing the right of law as far as your rights to use the firearm to defend yourself. I would say unless you feel like YOUR life or the life of someone you care about is threatened (at that very moment-not after the fact). You honestly believe those facts, and can articulate everything succinctly in a court of law, that you get on 911 and let the po-po do the job.

If you have a real hard on for being a crusader, then start testing with the various departments, and if you get picked up, you can do the job from the right side of the law.

Good luck.

CobraCommander,

I'd respectfully disagree.

I've carried a 229 as a duty weapon, and for a novice I wouldn't recommend it based on it's double action 10 pound trigger pull, lack of de-cocking mechanism, futzy safety, and not very agreeable for a woman's hand. It's a gucci pistol, or effective for a trained shooter. Price also becomes an issue when you are not going to be utilizing the weapon as much more than a paperweight.

COBRAAAA!

This one is the best for the purpose of repelling intruders, etc. And, the sound of a shotgun slide is unmistakable, no voice should be heard (don't say anything), let the slide action's sound do the talking.

FORGET the handgun. Too likely to either miss, or worse, hit someone else in the next house, etc.

I don't personally use a gun for home defense (mine stay in a gun safe in the garage) but if I was going to keep one for actual self defense, and if I had no training, and if I actually believed I didn't need training there would be only one choice for me. A double action revolver. I have an older S&W Mod. 19 .357 mag that would do the job nicely.

Shotguns will work, but they're somewhat unwieldy in the close quarters of a home. They also require cocking between each shot. I believe that if you are in a high stress situation that you will do exactly as you've trained to do under high stress conditions. I'd be concerned with a shotgun that you haven't trained under stress, and you may very well forget to pump a round into the chamber. Also, the spray of buckshot (or whatever load) means that anyone close to an attacker is going to get shot if you pull the trigger.

With a double action revolver, all you do is point and shoot. No need to cock, almost nothing to break. Semi auto pistols are nice, but their not for someone looking for a simple solution with no training.

My $.02